• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to rifles, mounting a scope

gcr0003

SH Member
I picked up archery first then I started deer hunting so archery has been all I used until this year where I’ve carried my 30-30 a few times. My dad gave me one of his rifles which has a scope on it this year but The scope is old and kinda messed up. I already have a new scope for it so I’m not looking for recommendations on that.

Should I mount it myself or pay someone to do it? If it’s anything like the archery work I’ve seen they’ll just screw it up and I’ll end up paying for it twice. I’m wanting to have it on and ready to be sighted in Friday for a hunt on Saturday. If I do it myself I’ll have to pick up a small level and some loctite.

So, mount myself or not? If you have good or bad experience with either please share. If you have advice for mounting a scope yourself please share that too.

If I assume the current scope is all aligned the. All I would have to do is take the rings top off and drop the new scope in right? Make sure it’s level and set, a few dabs of locktite and I’m good to go?

Rifle is a Remington 760 in 308
The mount for the scope/rings that are currently on it are raised so you can still use the iron sites. I’m planning to re use them unless someone has a really good argument for replacing.

No where I hunt would provide a shot over 150 yards and most places I hunt would be 50-100.

I prefer to mount it myself unless you have to drill and tap the mounts themselves.

Big thing is making the mounts solid with no play, getting the scope level and you have the proper eye relief so you can see properly without the scope drawing blood. The latter is the big reason to do it yourself.

Do you have a small torque wrench? Most scope rings are only to be tightened to 15 in/lbs. bases 35 in/lb roughly for hunting set ups. You can easily over tighten rings and ruin a scope but if you have the tools it’s easy, some rockset or blue loctite on the threads will keep hardware from backing out. I would suggest having someone do it if you don’t have the tools, if you were local I’d do it for you for free since I’m going through gunsmithing school on the side and have the tools.

As far as ring height goes, closer distance shooting it won’t make much of a difference but the further you plan to shoot the closer you’ll want your scope to mount in relation to your bore for more consistent dope and data for long range holds/dialing.

Degrease the scope and the rings where they touch. Brake cleaner should work well. Don't spray it on the scope. Spray a bit on a paper towel and wipe the area to degrease it. Sometimes the scope slides under recoil and this will prevent it. You will have to sight it in since it will probably not shoot where you want. Make sure the base screws are very tight and the ring screws are moderately tight but you could crush the scope so be careful. I have the see through sights on a rifle and they are great if a deer runs by you at 10 yards. For precision long range shooting they may flex a bit and not be good.

I had a horrible experience once at a firearms store letting them mount my scope. They broke off 3 torx screw heads on my valdada rings. Then the guy tried to glue the screw heads in place with silicone, As soon as I tried to make an adjustment to bore sight my rifle, the scope rolled on me. When I asked their “gunsmith” what he torqued the screws to, he gave me a deer in the headlights look and said they torque them “naturally”. I went into a fit of rage, and pointed to the 20 fat wrench torque wrenches they had for sale below the counter. After a month of going back and forth with the owner of the establishment I contacted Val directly at Valdada and he sent me a new set of rings at his cost.Great folks at valdada. Needless to say I always mount my own scopes now. The trick to getting them perfectly level is to run the bubble to the line on the rifle level and the scope level. There is more room for error than you would think if you try to align the bubble in the middle. As long as the level bubble is touching the same line on both levels the scope will be dead on. Make sure you pay attention to the spacing on the top of the rings on both sides and alternate tightening the screws much like you would changing a tire to ensure the tops of the rings go down evenly.

I would recommend Burris Signature rings, if you don't have a torque wrench. They have a plastic insert that helps prevent damage to the scope body and keep your scope aligned within the ring (and eliminates the need to lap the rings).

As far as height, the see through mounts work, but they might lead to a more uncomfortable cheek weld.

I would definitely recommend doing it yourself. I've seen stores mess it up pretty bad (putting mounts in backwards and all sorts of bad stuff).

I had a horrible experience once at a firearms store letting them mount my scope. They broke off 3 torx screw heads on my valdada rings. Then the guy tried to glue the screw heads in place with silicone, As soon as I tried to make an adjustment to bore sight my rifle, the scope rolled on me. When I asked their “gunsmith” what he torqued the screws to, he gave me a deer in the headlights look and said they torque them “naturally”. I went into a fit of rage, and pointed to the 20 fat wrench torque wrenches they had for sale below the counter. After a month of going back and forth with the owner of the establishment I contacted Val directly at Valdada and he sent me a new set of rings at his cost.Great folks at valdada. Needless to say I always mount my own scopes now. The trick to getting them perfectly level is to run the bubble to the line on the rifle level and the scope level. There is more room for error than you would think if you try to align the bubble in the middle. As long as the level bubble is touching the same line on both levels the scope will be dead on. Make sure you pay attention to the spacing on the top of the rings on both sides and alternate tightening the screws much like you would changing a tire to ensure the tops of the rings go down evenly.
Jeez, sounds like a hell of a “gunsmith”

Do it yourself. I recommend Warne Mounts and Rings. Get a torque wrench in inch pounds its worth the investment IMHO. They're like $15 with a selection of different sized tips for gunwork. The WARNE rings do come with the torx allen wrench which you should just tighten with that if you do not have or do not want to invest in a torque wrench. Most scope manufacturer's have recommended torque values for both the rings and the mounts.

I had a horrible experience once at a firearms store letting them mount my scope.

Not surprised having seen scopes being mounted in several shops around here. No chance I'd let any of those idiots work on my stuff. Those are retail stores with the kids at the counter hackin away. The actual gunsmiths I know do great work but I like to do that stuff myself and use a lapping bar.

+1 on the Burris Signature rings mentioned above. They're more tolerant of imperfect technique.

Ok I decided I will mount it myself using the existing hardware. I am going to pick up a laser bore sighter to check and see how off the mounting is before continuing on. I think I will pick up the bushnell laser boresighter which can be used on .22 up to 50 cal since i have a .22 as well as a 30-30 that i need to mount scopes on too. I will laser bore sight the 760 then take it to the range. Thanks for all the tips and advice, I'll let yall know how it goes.

Get this.
https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Engineering-Professional-Construction-Gunsmithing/dp/B004TAB7ZO

This is the best "Gunsmith" tool I have ever purchased.

Basically, you strap down the rifle to a lead sled or some sort of bench rest.
(The clamp style level goes on the barrel and allows you to adjust the level to match the small level that goes on the receiver.)
Then level the receiver where the scope mounts.
Attach scope rings and then check to verify the receiver is still level.
Place the scope in the rings and then move the small level to the top of the scope turret.
Match the level on the scope turret to the level on the end of the barrel.
Once they match tighten down the rings on the scope and then zero your rifle.

Ok I decided I will mount it myself using the existing hardware. I am going to pick up a laser bore sighter to check and see how off the mounting is before continuing on. I think I will pick up the bushnell laser boresighter which can be used on .22 up to 50 cal since i have a .22 as well as a 30-30 that i need to mount scopes on too. I will laser bore sight the 760 then take it to the range. Thanks for all the tips and advice, I'll let yall know how it goes.
If it is a bolt action you can take out the bolt and look down the barrel at 50 yds, then adjust your scope, once you practice it, you will be on paper every time at 100 yds

Probably better of taking it to a gunshop that knows how to scopes them right. Your only going to have it set once, if it’s done right. If they are not lapping the scope rings and using an inch pound nut/screw driver, walk away. I have a Wheeler kit for scopes but it’s pretty expensive.

Yeah I've always done this. I never had great luck with the laser things.
The 760 is a pump rifle. Basically looks like a Remington 870 but with a rifle barrel and housing so this is not possible.

Probably better of taking it to a gunshop that knows how to scopes them right. Your only going to have it set once, if it’s done right. If they are not lapping the scope rings and using an inch pound nut/screw driver, walk away. I have a Wheeler kit for scopes but it’s pretty expensive.
Doesn't seem like rocket science and I have already had enough jack wagons screw with my bows starting out. No reason to go down the same road. Might as well go straight to doing it myself. There isn't really anything I can screw up besides the screws lol.
Ok I decided I will mount it myself

Get this.
https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Engineering-Professional-Construction-Gunsmithing/dp/B004TAB7ZO

This is the best "Gunsmith" tool I have ever purchased.

Basically, you strap down the rifle to a lead sled or some sort of bench rest.
(The clamp style level goes on the barrel and allows you to adjust the level to match the small level that goes on the receiver.)
Then level the receiver where the scope mounts.
Attach scope rings and then check to verify the receiver is still level.
Place the scope in the rings and then move the small level to the top of the scope turret.
Match the level on the scope turret to the level on the end of the barrel.
Once they match tighten down the rings on the scope and then zero your rifle.
Ive read great things about these. I would buy one but I am trying to get this set up for this weekend. I guess I could always come back and get it more level after the fact. Are they sold anywhere locally?

Back