• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to the cross bow game.

Lazy_trucker

SH Member
Well I did a thing. After looking and doing some research. I decided to pull the trigger on buying a Ravin R10 XK7 crossbow. I have an Elite Ember unfortunately I don’t have any spare time to practice being a truck driver. ( yes I did think about bring my bow and block to practice)
So here’s the age old question. What broad head you using? I’m going to try out the 100 grain Ravin crossbow mechanical broad heads. Probably going to swap those out with a fixed blade.

You can use fixed broadheads. But it will be easier to get a mechanical to tune. I’m fairly new to crossbows as well and I’m using Chinadermics or knockoff Rage heads. Had to make very little adjustments to get it to fly with my field points. I think a fixed head with a lower profile like the QAD exodus would probably work well. I just think using a fixed head with a crossbow is a lot of wasted energy. It will blow through the deer and be buried in the dirt on the other side.

Im not shooting fancy XBows. But last year I dropped in a 200gr Single bevel. Lowered my POI by 3" at 30yards. It's not shooting fast. But I didn't notice an other issues. Seems some xbows can be particular to heads. But so far I haven't noticed anything crazy on the cheaper slower ones I use. Which may play a part. Testing it out is the only way to see what flys out of it. Maybe the lighter fixed blades generate some more lift and planning?

How fast does your bow shoot?
I have a Mini. Shooting under 300fpm.
Using Wensel Woodsman 3 blade fixed, they shoot great.

I shoot Bishop 3 blades out of my Vapor 470 with great success. I shoot heavier arrows that slow me down to about 380 however.

There is almost no reason NOT to shoot mechanicals out of a crossbow especially a really fast one. Check the IBO rating of the broadheads but most “crossbow” mechs nowadays will shoot out of 500+ fps bows with little or no tuning or early deployment.
Fixed heads are tough to tune. If you must, small cutting diameter/profile and solid-metal (little or no vents) design will probably tune better.
I’m using Grim Reaper 3-blades on my xbow, 330fps.

By popular opinion I’ll be starting the season with an Exodus but I’ll prolly switch to Sevr after that.

By popular opinion I’ll be starting the season with an Exodus but I’ll prolly switch to Sevr after that.
A buddy keeps pushing Sevr on me as if he works for the company. I will shoot out my GR’s then pick up a pack of these to try as well. I like a lot of what I see from them.

A buddy keeps pushing Sevr on me as if he works for the company. I will shoot out my GR’s then pick up a pack of these to try as well. I like a lot of what I see from them.
Yeah I keep hearing they’re awesome for xbow and Lusk beat the heck outta them. I’ve never had luck with mechs but everyone says they’re the bees knees for xbow so I figure one more time. Hope I’m not falling victim to fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice….

I used 125gr QAD Exodus with my compound and have kept using them since switching to a crossbow. They fly great and I've gotten pass throughs with the standard ravin 400 bolts on whitetails out to 50yds and on an antelope at 83yds.

Back