• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Which broadhead should I begin the season with

Which broadhead should I start with

• Sevr

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • G5 Megameat

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • QAD Exodus

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters

Exhumis

SH Member
New season, new weapon system with new arrows and heads.
Switched to xbow this season and decided to build some new arrows and experiment with new broadheads. All broadheads are 125gr, shafts will be the same for all heads. Never used these heads before, curious to see how they perform. I have my doubts about mechanicals(let’s not start that argument) but I’m willing to see how they perform. They certainly fly straight during practice.
So hit up the poll and help me decide!

I wish I had taken a picture of the entrance and exit wound on my bear last week using the exodus. First time using it and I’m very impressed. Still very sharp.

I’m going with a fixed over any mechanical. QAD or Magnus. I shoot a Magnus Stinger Buzzcut out of my crossbow and it’s performed great, but when I’m out of those I’ll buy some QAD’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to use the megameats with my xbow this year, and the Sevrs also come highly recommended by a buddy, but I decided on the Grim Reaper pro series 3-blade. They are disgustingly sharp. I do like that the Megameats have such a nice cutting setup even while closed. Just for that reason, I’d go with the G5s over the Sevrs (which have bands and that’s a bit of a no for me) and QADs (fixed blades out of crossbow haven’t been great for me yet).

They’re total devastation, no doubt! Saw a few that were shot with it and the holes and blood trail were ridiculous.

Hmm, they didn't perform that well on the Lusk's tests I thought.

I was going to use the megameats with my xbow this year, and the Sevrs also come highly recommended by a buddy, but I decided on the Grim Reaper pro series 3-blade. They are disgustingly sharp. I do like that the Megameats have such a nice cutting setup even while closed. Just for that reason, I’d go with the G5s over the Sevrs (which have bands and that’s a bit of a no for me) and QADs (fixed blades out of crossbow haven’t been great for me yet).

I've little experience with xbows but have used Grim Reaper and Sevr1.5 with my solo cam bows and have no complaints.

My buck last year was taken with a Sevr1.5 and I was impressed. Using them again this year.

I talked my brother into Grim Reapers for his xbow, vice NAP spitfires, and he's faired well. Those Spitfires seem hard to open. But I know folks who do well with them too.

Hmm, they didn't perform that well on the Lusk's tests I thought.

f782a580025590248a8ad0b0d0d80aee.jpg

I bought my son the Sevr 2.0 last season for his crossbow. It wasn't an ideal shot placement but complete passthrough and we recovered the buck 80 yards away. He's going to be shooting them again this year.

f782a580025590248a8ad0b0d0d80aee.jpg

Can't argue with that. I don't have any experience with those heads personally, just thought the penetration measurement and destruction testing by Lusk were comparatively a bit poorer.

Like I said, I have a good track record (100%) with Grim Reaper and Sevr1.5, but in my experience Rage broadheads have been devastating (like that) on well struck deer also.

Well I can report out the exodus, as expected, performed well. Shot the doe in my post with it, punched through near side shoulder, through both lungs and exited far side shoulder and bolt buried in the dirt up to the fletching, had to dig the silly thing out. Other than dirty no damage and still shaving sharp. Good blood and flew like a dart. I’m sold, they’re staying in my quiver.
The Sevr is a beast. Very surprised. Harvested the buck in my post with one, 150gr. Large bodied guy(at least for my parts). Quartering away shot, entered from rear and punched right through rearmost rib, traveled through entire chest cavity recking havoc and then exited out the neck shattering a vertebra in the process. Wish I’d had the time to process him. Huge blood at the site where I shot him, ran off spraying blood like a sprinkler. He ran 60 yards and piled up and expired very quickly. Also sold on the Sevrs. We’ll see about the Megameat.
IMG_0992.pngIMG_0993.png

Last edited:
@Plebe I shot Spitfires for a decade or more, had zero issues, only messed up one time and made a stupid shot right down into the top of the shoulder of a buck and got little penetration. But I got curious about other broadheads because of the force required to open the Spitfires, not because they did me wrong. I lean toward mechanicals because I don’t trust my form, torque, etc at the critical moment. I can tune fixed blades but find that I can definitely mess up a shot much easier, even at the range. If I decided to take a 33 yard shot, I’d have much more confidence with a mech on the end. I’m not sure how tricky it is to tune a crossbow, but I imagine it’s much harder to mess up arrow flight once it’s tuned. I’m trying Sevr 1.7s this year, the packaging and quality is fantastic and I like that I can keep ‘em closed for a few practice shots. My only reservation is that I shot Killzones for a few years, think I killed 5 deer just fine, but the two blade blood trails were not great.

I like the 3” swacker 150 grain personally it totally gives a amazing hole and blood trail

Sevrs IMO are the best mechanicals on the market. From their toughness, to easy blade replacement and locking blades for practice. They're great.
I'm also in the fixed head only camp. There's only two xbows on earth mode powerful than mine. Both are the 500 fps xbows from 10pt and Ravin. I have the Vapor 470. I had the mindset that this much bow would push any BH through no matter what. Nope.
From the severe quartering away angle, to him jumping the string, when I made the shot last year the swat bh stopped immediately in his far shoulder. I cannot say for certain I would have recovered him had I used a fixed head. But I'm certain I would have gotten through and through penetration with a sharp fixed head to help achieve a sucking chest wound.

I switched over from mechanicals last year. Wanted to give fixed blade a try. Been shooting the QAD Exodus and been very impressed with them. I wanted to try something else this season and was contemplating going with Tooth of the Arrow or the Magnus Black Hornets ser razors. I decided to go with the Black Hornets and see how the work for me. I just ordered 2 packs of the 100 grain with the bleeders.

Don't think I'm telling you anything you don't know already but I've had the same experiences with the QAD. Fly like field points (even for someone that's not good at tuning like myself) and pass through /stick in the dirt with no blade damage. Only one I've lost was buried in a tree after passing through a small doe. Shot some schwackers out of my mini for a bit because I didn't have any other broadheads a the time and didn't want to mess with taking them off of my bow arrows, and I find the whole replacing the retaining band thing too fiddly.

Another bonus about the QADs is the blades are replaceable. I kept the old ones I swapped out and am going to give them a go resharpening, but nice to have the option to just swap them out in a pinch.

Don't think I'm telling you anything you don't know already but I've had the same experiences with the QAD. Fly like field points (even for someone that's not good at tuning like myself) and pass through /stick in the dirt with no blade damage. Only one I've lost was buried in a tree after passing through a small doe. Shot some schwackers out of my mini for a bit because I didn't have any other broadheads a the time and didn't want to mess with taking them off of my bow arrows, and I find the whole replacing the retaining band thing too fiddly.

Another bonus about the QADs is the blades are replaceable. I kept the old ones I swapped out and am going to give them a go resharpening, but nice to have the option to just swap them out in a pinch.
Yup. I’m gonna play with the Megameat the rest of the season and I really like to fidget with stuff but with broadheads I think the qad will be my goto

Back