• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to the saddle game.. questions?

Tca126

I’m planning to take the plunge into the saddle game this season. I see that most companies offer “kits” with what appears to have everything you need to get started. When I choose the saddle company I am going with, should I go with a kit or is it better to piece together what I need? Thanks
-Tom

Ha. Ask 10 people get 10 answers. Go with easy to start, multiple sticks or 1 stick method. I like the tactisaddle, tethrd ess, and driad drey half and full hammocks. I like my predator platform and ridge runner platform. Most folks here speak highly of cruzr. Hopefully you are near someone that can help you figure out what you like.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

Hey buddy, hope I’m not over stepping. If you’re in a hurry I get it but I’d highly recommend buying certain individual items not a kit. I think most guys here will say the same thing. You will quickly start picking stuff apart and upgrading. Then you’ve spent even more money. If you would want that certain kit I wouldn’t even have a clue what to recommend. I’m sure someone here could. I will say you could quickly get a huge bit of information here if u decided to part stuff out to put you in the right direction.

My saddle recommendation would be the Cruzr xc. I throw that out there because that’s a huge part in my opinion if you’ll like saddle hunting.

TX5 Rayder saddle (bought new)
Cruzer platform(bought new)
LW steps (already had from hang-ons)
Teather and linesmen ropes (already had from safety harness')

Kits are a one stop shop and as said above, will be upgraded shortly
Piecing together can save a few $$ and even some used stuff in the classifieds ;)

I’m not sure if you know anyone that already saddle hunts, or if you’re near someone on here, but I’d recommend trying someone’s stuff before you go out and buy a bunch of stuff. I learned that the hard way. I’ve had 3 sets of sticks and 2 saddles, have gone from a tether and linesman’s belt to rappelling.
Coulda saved a lot of money had I been able to try stuff out before hunting with it.

Find some friends that saddle hunt and try out their setups. It will save you a lot of money in the long run. There are so many options for climbing and different saddle companies and everyone just needs to experiment to figure out what works best for them. I’m relatively new and I’ve decided my best options 3 times now. I’ve accumulated two saddles, 3 platforms, 2 ROS, 4 ascenders and four different ropes. I’ll do a nice gear dump in the classifieds once I lock down my system.

Have you decided what way you want to hunt? 1 stick with a platform? multiple sticks? 1 stick and seperateplatform? That can greatly help determine if a kit will be worth it or not.

From my original saddle 2-3 years ago the only thing I use anymore is the saddle, a dump pouch and the linesman belt. Use my own tether/rappel rope, cut the original Amstel bridge off and put my own adjustable one on, and got rid of one of the pouches.

If you have absolutely no idea what way you’re headed I would probably say getting a kit is the best bet so you at least somewhere to start. I started with multi-sticks and the normal tether. Now I use 1 stick with an aider and a 40’ rappel/tether.

Buying the kit is great....you'll have everything you need to do the basic setup and as you watch videos, read the forums here or see others do things you're going to change and adapt that kit to your needs and preferences....just don't be afraid to switch things here and there to make it yours.

Sounds like you’re set on climbing method, saddles are super personal so you’ll get a tone of different answers. I’d try to find a few guys close if you have time & drive to meet up. You’ll get a lot more education than reading or reviews. If you don’t have that kinda time, then grab a TX5 lonestar or CruzR & see what you like. You need a Lineman’s belt & tree tether & that’s really it.

It's a very personal plunge in my opinion. So many different directions to go and all with varied equipment. Read all of the posts on climbing methods and platform types and then buy some gear, refine your system, and keep trying different things for multiple seasons, while new gear you want to try keeps being introduced. It's Saddle Hunting, baby!

Try as many things as possible for free first. Find a couple of people within 50 miles and ask to try what they have first. A kit is a good way to go.

Kit or no kit, I'd highly consider 8mm linesman/tether. There's nothing wrong with 11mm but it sure takes up alot of room in my saddle pouches stuffing it in there. I've wished many times it was 8mm.

Otherwise kits are good if its good quality stuff. I really like my ropes with sewed eyes (prussiks too) and I'd bought all my stuff from cruzr as a kit. But I personally am not one to upgrade a bunch of times. I'm happy with my setup for sure

I would suggest that a kit curated by a reputable vendor is preferable to one assembled by somebody who doesn't know what components go with what. Once you have the time and practice to have developed your own preference you won't need a kit. Since you're asking, I would suggest you start with kits. Say, a saddle + tether & LB kit, and a rappelling kit. Or, a saddle & pouches kit, and a rappelling & misc lines kit(s).

While you're at it, read up on friction hitches. One of the decisions you're going to have to make is whether you're willing to pay for mechanical devices like Ropemans or Madrocks or Grigris instead of learning how to purchase the right accessory cord for your main line and tie it into a safe friction hitch. Personally, I don't use mechanicals and prefer hitch cord, but a great many of us prefer mechanicals. Of course most of those hunters use friction hitches in addition to their mechanicals; I assume you're starting from square 1 here and haven't yet reached a decision on that point.

Really need to look at how your going to climb first. Someone climbing 2TC isn't going to need a normal tether and lineman belt. SRT and DRT guys can ditch the lineman's and just go with a tether.

I decided on the saddle first (AH Kestrel). They don’t make that anymore so you’ll have to find something you like. I also see Cruzr mentioned a LOT lately on here.
Next, choose your climbing method if you haven’t. Sticks are easiest IMO and if you’re used to hang-on stands, you’ll get it right away. I bought a Predator first because back then it was the only commercially available platform and I didn’t want to use ROS because again, I was used to hang-on stand and I have arthritic feet so tree steps are not the most comfy for me. It’s a great small platform. Now I use a Trophyline platform (the big one lol) and I love it. Worth the extra couple of pounds on private or all-day public.
Ropes…DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Please. Real homework. I call every single company I’m planning to buy life-support or weaponry/broadheads and knives from, I plug into their knowledge of the products they’re selling and I’m honest about applications I plan to use their products for. I get ropes from Tethrd (I like 11mm and 8mm) or Wesspur. Sometimes REI or Amazon if I know what I’m looking for. Most companies really appreciate questions and feedback especially if you can get a human on the phone, and your greatest safety resource other than an actual climbing instructor is the people who make your kit.
That said, there ARE companies who are not as knowledgeable about what they push/sell as others, and I encourage you to go through them with a fine-toothed comb. Some reputable saddle companies from my own experience are AeroHunter (sadly closed), Eastern Woods Outdoors, Wesspur, Trophyline, Novix, and depending on the day or product, I really do like Tethrd’s gear overall and I can look past the saddle-bro nonsense to see what they have in value. They’re not always very responsive or quick to ship, but their customer service is generally manned by a human who is very nice and speaks great English (unless that ain’t your language). I would be lying if I said I didn’t trust their platforms, ropes, and straps. I don’t have a single piece of amsteel in my setup, so I can’t speak to that.

My 2 cents: saddles are like the quest to find your favorite pair of pants. You may have to try a couple before you find the one you love.

If I had it to do over, I would buy a used ones until I found the one I love. It will be a process. I’m on my third saddle and I’m in the minority of just being 3.

It depends on the individual kit. In some kits, the tether and linesman ropes are overly priced. You can make your own a lot cheaper.

Can you post a particular kit you are looking at?

Also consider things like rope diameter as you may want to use a Madrock or Kong Duck or Ropeman and they require the rope to be within a certain diameter.

Back