• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

No college football= more hunting pressure?

Jwiggins762

I know personally I missed a few days/evenings in the woods last year due to football games, now the whole college season may be canceled. I definitely believe, if they do, there will be more hunting pressure. I'm gonna miss football but at the same time might get a few more hunts out of it....

After a couple of hunts in very pressured WMAs (like a gun hunter every 40 acres) I don't know that I'd be that upset over some of my areas getting a bit more pressure. Assuming you like waking up at 2am and putting chest waders on, you can get some fine hunting with the help of some man drivers come daylight. :) Kinda narrows down where the deer can be.

After a couple of hunts in very pressured WMAs (like a gun hunter every 40 acres) I don't know that I'd be that upset over some of my areas getting a bit more pressure. Assuming you like waking up at 2am and putting chest waders on, you can get some fine hunting with the help of some man drivers come daylight. :) Kinda narrows down where the deer can be.
One of my hunts is 1250 People on 34000 acres. Most of the pressure is on about a third of it. Sounds like a dove shoot. The man drive seems more intense mid day. It’s like they hunker down in the dark and when the shooting starts they seem to move to the closest thicket. Then mid day as people come and go they really get pushed around.

One of my hunts is 1250 People on 34000 acres. Most of the pressure is on about a third of it. Sounds like a dove shoot. The man drive seems more intense mid day. It’s like they hunker down in the dark and when the shooting starts they seem to move to the closest thicket. Then mid day as people come and go they really get pushed around.
Yeah, it was wild last year. I'd never seen anything like it. 500 dudes camped out in a gypsy city around the check in station. I was sleeping in my hunting clothes and staying out from 2-3am until dark for 3 days. Never shot the buck I was on, but saw deer and hogs every day.

I wouldn't want to hunt like that all the time though. I like the feeling of being the only guy on the wma on a wednesday.

I doubt college football will specifically change things around here, but who knows. If you changed it to 3 downs like it should be, then maybe...

With that said, I do expect a lot of folks in the South woods this year. I'm not worried about hunting up north...

Wow, with DVRs, why would a real hunter choose to sit inside and watch TV in lieu of being outside and experiencing reality. Tape the stupid game and watch it after you are done hanging your deer. Don't have to watch insulting commercials that way either.

I guess in theory you could have like, friends, family, a life. I would imagine you could hypothetically even tailgate and/or attend a game. Deer are great and all but I feel like some folks really need a reminder that it's a fricken hobby.

Wow, with DVRs, why would a real hunter choose to sit inside and watch TV in lieu of being outside and experiencing reality. Tape the stupid game and watch it after you are done hanging your deer. Don't have to watch insulting commercials that way either.
I guess in theory you could have like, friends, family, a life. I would imagine you could hypothetically even tailgate and/or attend a game. Deer are great and all but I feel like some folks really need a reminder that it's a fricken hobby.
I empathize with both viewpoints. I don't think less of you if you decide to catch the game, but i also don't wanna hear that you don't have time to hunt.

My point was you can watch the game AND hunt. Record it.
Theres a lot if stuff I like to watch but the wonders of technology allows me to watch at my leisure and hunt when the time is right. Why do we have to choose?
I have never watched a game of any kind from start to finish. Just don't get it. But my people are all Tuscaloosa-native Alabama fans, which means they all share a crimson braincell.;)

They watch "the game" together with friends. It's just a good justification for getting together, drinking, cooking, and talking smack. I do it with them maybe once a year so they don't start suspecting im antisocial and caching weapons in the woods or something sinister.

It's like a live concert, I guess. Me, I'd rather just watch the thing on tape bare-azz nude, alone, with a cold beer that I didn't pay $5 for, but for some people the magic isn't there unless "you just had to be there." It CAN be amusing watching my uncle forget how to speak English when somebody fumbles a ball, i reckon. Don't get that watching the game by yourself 3 days later.

Should be an interesting year. If the hunting season is anything like fishing, there will be some pressure. You would have an easier time getting black tar heroin around here than a 3/0 circle hook or a zebco around here this summer.

I'm up in Bison Nation here in western MN so it will definitely be interesting to see how many Bison fans are archery hunters. Of course it does help that my public spot is pretty secluded and you need 4x4 to get in there half the time.

Guarantee the woods will be crawling. More so due to COVID-19 and soaring beef prices at the supermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, we all have our addictions. No problem with others being addicted to TV sports, Netflix, or whatever. But most of that stuff is not time specific. Record it and watch it when the time is right. Hunting, on the other hand IS time specific. Can't choose when to sit in the tree when I want to, gotta do it when the deer dictate it.
But I should shut up...I'm GLAD the hunting competition is sitting on the couch scratching themselves and swilling brews. They aren't screwing my hunt or enjoyment of nature.

Kinda like camping...I love to see people cruising down the interstates in their $100,000 RVs. I know they will be spending their vacation time in a mini city while I will be alone enjoying peace and solitude.
On second thought...GO CRIMSON, KNITNY LIONS or whichever team you follow. Stay home, grill meat, drink beer and hunt when its comfy.

Yuck....you sound like my wife who also has told me on many occasions to record it. It's not the same as watching it live, plus with this so called new technology I hear the scores or big plays from friends/family or others on social media that ruin it for me. Hunting and football are my main things. I have to choose one over the other due to the season. Hunting within the past few years has won the majority of the time.

Back