• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

No Stick method

That is awesome! I really like that. I'm going to have to see what I can do with that.

For what it's worth I use my aiders the same way. It's hard to kick out through the width of the foot.

I can’t really see what you have to keep it from camming over on the way up. You mention quick release buckle. Just a webbing strap?
Can you take a picture of how it is attached to tree in the locked up position?

*edit: never mind, I can see what you did.

I’m assuming one 24” and one 48” wider, right?

Last edited:
I will be trying it with my predator this weekend. I will report back here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As we had talk about on the aider(s) I believe the Amstel tied into the platform would be the best bet for this method. Right now I’m running a 25”, 1” tubular webbing girth hitching the post for the shorter aider & my 47” sling hung over the batwing as my long aider. I debating removable vs permanent aider(s) as I switch climbing methods regularly to best suit conditions. Be interested to hear your aider setup on the Predator.

For the guys that did the diy platform with the double step top (above the platform) you could just use the double step like a climbing stick and avoid stepping on the platform part at all until at hunting height. The aiders could also be attached to the double step. Cool idea!

I can’t really see what you have to keep it from camming over on the way up. You mention quick release buckle. Just a webbing strap?
Can you take a picture of how it is attached to tree in the locked up position?

Running a 1” nylon strap with alligator clamp. I’m tightening it down to almost completely closed. With the nylon stretch it’s opening about 2”, which gives me an approximate 6”x 12.5” platform to stand on. Of course you have to evenly weight the platform to avoid kickout, but the platform size is comfy compared to normal sized steps.

Attachments

• B8E987AC-C052-40DF-AFF9-BC302C892A3C.jpeg
    B8E987AC-C052-40DF-AFF9-BC302C892A3C.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 300
  • 60E3E739-83B2-4F8E-B263-BA7B91A9D6BA.jpeg
    60E3E739-83B2-4F8E-B263-BA7B91A9D6BA.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 296
For the guys that did the diy platform with the double step top (above the platform) you could just use the double step like a climbing stick and avoid stepping on the platform part at all until at hunting height. The aiders could also be attached to the double step. Cool idea!

Nice idea. I’m going to retrofit mine with a double step at the top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As we had talk about on the aider(s) I believe the Amstel tied into the platform would be the best bet for this method. Right now I’m running a 25”, 1” tubular webbing girth hitching the post for the shorter aider & my 47” sling hung over the batwing as my long aider. I debating removable vs permanent aider(s) as I switch climbing methods regularly to best suit conditions. Be interested to hear your aider setup on the Predator.

Or splice some of the Notch Driad that DanO is carrying. It has a wider, flat profile that might be more comfortable on the feet. I have some and will try that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great method. I'm interested in how you put your foot. I hate aiders because of the wobble....I'll give this a try this offseason. Thx for the vidoe.

I’ll probably sew mine. I’ll make the first aider so that it’s about 18” from the aider to the top edge of the platform since thats essentially where you are stepping to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the idea of not having to carry much in. But I just can't see this or one sticking being a realistic tactic in an area that a) gets hot, b) has trees with bark. I cant be the only one that sweats up a storm when hiking in and setting up (that's even wearing minimal layers on the walk out), surely all that movement and stretching would cause me to sweat like the devil. And I understand deer will tolerate noise, but our trees have very noisy/chippy bark, and I can't imagine any deer liking the sounds of what would surely equate to a bear using a tree as a guitar. Probably just me though...

@Cbigbear awesome video. I appreciate you posting it. Love your innovation and outside the box perspective.

I am going to attempt this with a small DIY treesuit type platform. Assuming I can step over the depth (from tree outward) of the platform and I would be slightly to the side when stepping, then it would check the zero moving parts box for me (and I don't have a hinged platform).

Last edited:
Love the idea of not having to carry much in. But I just can't see this or one sticking being a realistic tactic in an area that a) gets hot, b) has trees with bark. I cant be the only one that sweats up a storm when hiking in and setting up (that's even wearing minimal layers on the walk out), surely all that movement and stretching would cause me to sweat like the devil. And I understand deer will tolerate noise, but our trees have very noisy/chippy bark, and I can't imagine any deer liking the sounds of what would surely equate to a bear using a tree as a guitar. Probably just me though...

So to address your concerns. I’m from S Louisiana so I don’t believe you will find a hotter or more humid climate anywhere in the US. Typical early season is 95-100 with 100% humidity, & late season can range from below freezing to 75 again with 60-100% humidity. I’m going to sweat no matter the method of climb so I error on the side of making the walk in as hassle free as possible. Shooting for low bulk number one follow by low weight. As you can see in the video climb time is reasonable to any other method. Effort is greater on the climb, but walking in with just a platform strapped to the middle of my back makes traversing the nasty of terrain/cover doable.

I don’t really have a problem with bark. As with any method this can be done slow & quiet or fast & noisy. I would liken the noise to using a climber at a slow steady pace.

Now for tree selection yes this method is going to be a limiting factor. I’m carrying multiple sticks & platform if I’m going into a MS river bottom where a straight tree has less than 2 s curves, clean tree only has one vine, and the diameter can range from 6” to 6’.

So to address your concerns. I’m from S Louisiana so I don’t believe you will find a hotter or more humid climate anywhere in the US. Typical early season is 95-100 with 100% humidity, & late season can range from below freezing to 75 again with 60-100% humidity. I’m going to sweat no matter the method of climb so I error on the side of making the walk in as hassle free as possible. Shooting for low bulk number one follow by low weight. As you can see in the video climb time is reasonable to any other method. Effort is greater on the climb, but walking in with just a platform strapped to the middle of my back makes traversing the nasty of terrain/cover doable.

I don’t really have a problem with bark. As with any method this can be done slow & quiet or fast & noisy. I would liken the noise to using a climber at a slow steady pace.

Now for tree selection yes this method is going to be a limiting factor. I’m carrying multiple sticks & platform if I’m going into a MS river bottom where a straight tree has less than 2 s curves, clean tree only has one vine, and the diameter can range from 6” to 6’.

I can see your points! Sticks are better for beating Gators though....haha.

Back