• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Nutterbuster Grinds His Meat

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Oh yes he does...

Just got my new toy today...LEM #12 Big Bite. 3/4hp, all stainless steel...beautiful. I took it for a quick test run and ground up 5lbs of meat in maybe a minute. It'll eat strips as fast as you can shovel them in there. I'd estimate I could probably do a whole deer in under 10 minutes. Beats the snot out of the kitchenaid attachment I've been using for the past 4 years.

For $400 it's hard to recommend it to the guys doing a deer or three a year. But I killed `10 last year and helped my dad do another 4 or 5. The wife and I have been wild-game only (aside from steaks and chicken wings) for 2 years now. We also have been feeding baby sister and her husband since they're young and broke. I'm gonna get a heck of a lot of use out of this thing. It's my favorite purchase since the HC mini.

LEM is well known. Lots of their stuff is the same as others, just with their logo on it. They sell quality stuff. If you like breakfast sausage, try their Breakfast Hot sausage mix. It's a great breakfast sausage blend. I like mine a bit more spicy, so for the 20# mix, I only add 17-18#s of meat. Good stuff!

hehehe! i got the same grinder i think. PRO TIP: didnt work too good the first 2 times when the blade was backwards. cant fix stupid
I had a similar experience. Picked up a used Avantco #22 1.5hp grinder earlier this year. Had never used one, but it appeared all the parts were accounted for. Put it all together and it was getting plugged as soon as I turned it on. The meat that was coming out in a paste. After fighting it for a couple hours, I gave up.

After watching a few videos of 1/2 hp grinders doing fine, I figured something had to be out of whack.

Did some research and found out there is a #12 1 hp size that takes a slightly shorter auger, but the insert bit is the same. My grinding blade wasn't touching the meat plate. All I was doing was forcing meat through the holes.

Got the new parts in last week. I'm ready to kick some butt now.

I just finished grinding everything but the shoulders on that 4 point. Hams, straps, and neck roast. Not sure what my total weight is, but I timed one big bowl of chunks that weighed 9lbs and it took 2 minutes.

Now I just gotta bag all this mess. Bleh

I’m tired of paying the local processor and am wanting to start grinding my on meat. Are y’all adding fat and if so what kind/where do you get it? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m tired of paying the local processor and am wanting to start grinding my on meat. Are y’all adding fat and if so what kind/where do you get it? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't add fat. But my dad uses about 20% fat to 80% venison. His preference is to use either a fatty pork butt, bacon ends and pieces, fatback, or plain ole pork fat from the butcher.

Do you have a cuber attachment?
If not you can use the mallet style tenderizer and beat your meat.
On a serious note did you opt for the foot pedal?

Do you have a cuber attachment?
If not you can use the mallet style tenderizer and beat your meat.
On a serious note did you opt for the foot pedal?
You'll have to come over and how me how to beat the meat one day. Never done it. Always been a grinder.

I didn't get the foot pedal. I may get it eventually. But it was pricy enough without it.

How does it handle silver skin. I only asked about the foot switch because I haven’t used one but wondered if they were worth it.

How does it handle silver skin. I only asked about the foot switch because I haven’t used one but wondered if they were worth it.

I have the next smaller size, and for the most part it acts like it isn't there. You may get some strands built up that you notice when you switch (if you switch) from coarse to fine grind. The worst part about the LEM Big Bite machines is that you get so spoiled with the speed of the first coarse pass, the fine pass through the grinder feels like it takes forever.

I trimmed most of the silverskin on this deer because I figured on grinding it on the kitchenaid. Kitchenaid can't hack it. You gotta stop and clean it every couple of minutes. This one ate it up and spat it out. I'm going to leave a bit more on next time. Probably just trim the major stuff like the fat pockets in the ham and the tendons on the backstrap and leave the rest. I know some folks say it impacts the taste. To me as long as you grind it up and don't have to chew it it's fine.

As far as the footswitch, I just saw that Harbor Freight has one for like $15. Might wait until that coupon hits and go pick one up to try. I think it'd be handy if you wanted to grind as you were chunking it. If you already have 20-40lbs of meat ready to feed I don't see how it would help. Just turn it on, try and keep up, and for the love of god keep your fingers out of the way!

This is what I've been doing with mine, although I take as much fat off as possible.
Yep. I'm not a fan of venison fat. It'd just be nice to trim with "I don't wanna eat that" in mind instead of "The grinder won't eat that."

I honestly can't believe I worked with that POS for as long as I did. Screw the kitchenaid attachments!! I ground a large herd of deer with it, but now I'd rather chew it up and spit it out myself.

Back