• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Official admit if you fell rope climbing thread.

Worst thing I've had in my short 3 years of rope climbing is the odd times the girth hitch tightened up suddenly because a piece of bark(setting up in sycamores and shagbark hickory in the dark is fun <_<) kept it from cinching properly. Dropped at most 6 inches. or dropping things at height that ought not be dropped.

had my girth hitch slide down a foot or so while SRT. I did not hit the ground and all my safety gear worked great. I did not even come down first, just kept climbing.

No falls but I have had 3 or 4 pucker moments while climbing ropes. 2 were with classic MRS. Two about 4-5 years ago where the Blake’s hitch started slipping and I was pulling everything I could to make the knot tighter but it would not hold. Probably went down 6 ft slowly but consistently until I was at the ground. Another time when I was very green I climbed all the way to the top hooked up my rappel to the wrong side of the rope and almost took a long nap. I had no way to take my weight off and had to burn my hands up a little to ride down. Luckily I wasn’t super high. Also had a Michoacan start slipping while ascending double stationary rope method but was able to stop the slow descent with the Garda footloop. Retied the hitch and was good to go. Last was climbing SRT on Sticht hitch when it just started slipping. Nothing you could do but ride is down until if hit foot ascender and bound up. Was able to uncomfortably stand take weight off and tie into different hitch. But again, no falls thankfully.

Tailgunner I get the sentiment but I take it you didn’t do well in statistics lol Your sample size is too small and biased. Can’t do a thing with the results worth a hill a beans lol

I've settled/broken twigs hanging up an anchor redirect while rope climbing, purposefully. It's a minor drop, but it was in a legit harness not in a hunting saddle... I WAS wearing my leg straps too haha! I haven't had any saddle hunting issues to date, all my sketchy stuff has been outside of saddle hunting lol.

Attachments

• 20220220_131445.jpg
    20220220_131445.jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Snapchat-1809232810.jpg
    Snapchat-1809232810.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 24
Back