• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Official admit you fell of your stick thread

IMG_9646.jpeg

Maybe if you stop calling me Kyler, you’ll like me more! Worked for @gcr0003… errr well he hated me less…

I hate sticks for different reasons than safety related ones.

But I’ve climbed dozens of trees with em. Never had a kick out, never lost balance, never had one break, never fell.

There’s no accessory or piece of equipment to add to a stick that makes it less likely to hurt you after you’ve already made a mistake.

You’re in favor of personal responsibility and autonomy, and for doing things right and with confidence. So am I. Leg straps help you when you’ve missed one or two things in that multivariate process leading up to a fall.

With sticks it’s simple:

Use hardware and attachments that are strong enough not to bend or break.

Set the stick properly, with the post as parallel to gravity as is possible.

Climb with a lineman’s belt so you can attach next stick with your hands free to work, while maintaining four points of contact.

Load the stick as parallel to gravity as you can, and as close to the stick as you can while climbing.

Always maintain at least 3 points of contact when climbing.

Wear proper footwear and gloves.

If you miss any of these, there’s nothing you can do to a stick to make it less awful.

With a saddle, and the much longer list of things to do while climbing in it to prevent a slip or fall across all climbing methods, you can just add leg straps and now you won’t come out of it.

Cognitive dissonance

We are hunters.....those are alot Of good in detailed instructions..but prolly to many for an average hunter to be safe...oh... i love you kyler..even though you fallow direction like i spell
...you dont back down.we all know jx3 is the way..kyle is my brothets name...i like kyler better

Last edited:
Had a stick kick out once. I didnt come off the stick til after the 8 second whistle. Twernt my first rodeo. Wonky tree and the stick didnt set great at that spot. Climbed on up any way and it kicked and went out on a 45 to the left. Leg straps kept saddle (single panel) in place and I just repositioned in a comfortable hangin spot and re-set the stick. Went on up and hunted like normal.

Hunting out of my saddle on a hang on stand a couple weeks back, had a cable break about an hour and half into the hunt. This was another time where leg straps being in place was helpful. Because they were cinched up to the appropriate tightness, my boots didnt fill with sh!t. Everything stayed nice and contained where it should have.

Keep your boots filled with only your feet, wear your freakin leg straps.

Sticks which method?
Multiple sticks?
Sticks with aiders?
One sticking?
Sticks with aiders and steps?

I've never had a good stick kick out and I've never had a stick move (other than settling a minimal amount) while I'm on it. I HAVE had crappy sticks (won't mention the brand) shift, move, or kick out AFTER they were un-weighted during the transition to the next step. I've never had an issue with my EWO Feathersticks, and I run them with the sewn two-step aiders. On the other hand, I've personally never had a safety issue with aiders either...

@kyler1945 It’s the lower case “r”, bruvvah. Throws ppl off. I still read it as “Kyler” but I mentally correct to “Kyle R” because I’ve watched every one of your jX3 videos :tonguewink:. Still haven’t come to the light but it ain’t your fault. You make that thing look like a 007 setup. “You Only Hunt Twice” or “Goldhunter” or “Tomorrow Never Hunts” or some such.

To @gcr0003 point Kyler is a name that has certain connotations that are also not Kylers’ faults.

Redeeming grace: There’s a book series called “The Night Angel Trilogy”. Main character is Kyler. He’s an assassin. You’re a deer assassin. This all lines up whether you choose to be Kyler or Kyle R in my humble opinion.

Cognitive dissonance?

I dunno. I’m just trynna get the format of the post in your style cuz damn it all, I like your style.

@kyler1945 It’s the lower case “r”, bruvvah. Throws ppl off. I still read it as “Kyler” but I mentally correct to “Kyle R”

I can’t decide if I want the R or not. People seem to give me more information about themselves thinking I’m a Kyler.

It’s also a good way for me to know who I’ve corresponded with personally, and who’s watched the videos, like you alluded to.

Maybe I should start a poll: big R, little r, never post again, adopt the carpetbombing tactics

Back