• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Old sewing machine clean up and repair thread

gcr0003

SH Member
So I bought an old Singer Industrial 241 about a year ago and I still haven't done much with it. I need to get this thing up and running quick so the mrs doesn't make me get rid of it. It has no use in its current state so I understand why she wants it fixed or gone.

It needs a new motor since I didn't buy the clutch motor when I got it. I already found options for the motor but I wanted to make sure the thing works before I bought the motor. I put some light thread on it and turned it by hand but it wasn't pulling the thread up from the bobbin? When I rotated it with the cover off it was pretty clear that there was some interference. The needle was touching the bobbin before the slot and it was clear the timing was off. Previously I didn't have much luck finding service manuals for this particular machine. I also didn't have confidence buying pdfs from random ebay users claiming it was the proper service manual. Has anyone adjusted or set the 'timing' of their machine and if so with how much difficulty? Should I have the machine connected to a motor before setting the timing? My thought was that if the timing or something was off I wouldn't want to force it with the motor and screw something else up more.

I still need to purchase needles, thread, oil for the pan, and some other things. For anyone that has restored older machines to some extent, what are other parts that I should go ahead and fix/replace. Also, I don't have a set of smaller tools for working on things such as this so what would y'all recommend as far as tools to work on this thing. I was able to get some fasteners out but I really need a small driver set at least.

Thanks!

Buy the most expensive tools u can afford

I have lots of tools from harbor freight
Yea I was more asking what tools I would need. I can always find the recommended tools at a yard sale or harbor frieghts once I know what I need! Cheap tools can be frustrating to me though, but I don't think it will make much difference in this small application. If I didn't have such a hard time keeping up with stuff I would probably buy once cry once on tools that would last a lifetime, but alas.

Also, I got this antique sewing machine for cheap cheap so using expensive tools on it would be like putting 4k worth of rims on an old Cadillac that doesn't run. It just doesn't make much sense.

I would take it to someone who knows what they are doing to get it repaired.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I would take it to someone who knows what they are doing to get it repaired.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Just called the local sewing machine store that does repairs and such and he said that I would need the motor and everything before they could come out and service it. They said they wouldn’t be able to service it if I brought it to them as there would be no way for them to run it as they adjust it. That said, he wasn’t sure if the guy that does the servicing of machines is still making house calls anymore because... well you know.

As far as tools go, a good set of gunsmithing screwdrivers are always useful to have around and will serve you well here. A "nice to have" is a mini ratchet for the screwdriver bits.

The Singer 241 manual has some good info for getting everything set up properly.

So I bought an old Singer Industrial 241 about a year ago and I still haven't done much with it. I need to get this thing up and running quick so the mrs doesn't make me get rid of it. It has no use in its current state so I understand why she wants it fixed or gone.

It needs a new motor since I didn't buy the clutch motor when I got it. I already found options for the motor but I wanted to make sure the thing works before I bought the motor. I put some light thread on it and turned it by hand but it wasn't pulling the thread up from the bobbin? When I rotated it with the cover off it was pretty clear that there was some interference. The needle was touching the bobbin before the slot and it was clear the timing was off. Previously I didn't have much luck finding service manuals for this particular machine. I also didn't have confidence buying pdfs from random ebay users claiming it was the proper service manual. Has anyone adjusted or set the 'timing' of their machine and if so with how much difficulty? Should I have the machine connected to a motor before setting the timing? My thought was that if the timing or something was off I wouldn't want to force it with the motor and screw something else up more.

I still need to purchase needles, thread, oil for the pan, and some other things. For anyone that has restored older machines to some extent, what are other parts that I should go ahead and fix/replace. Also, I don't have a set of smaller tools for working on things such as this so what would y'all recommend as far as tools to work on this thing. I was able to get some fasteners out but I really need a small driver set at least.

Thanks!
When I was setting up my grandma's old featherweight I found videos on youtube. Sometimes not my exact machine but most are very similar in design.
Stuff like this isn't easily noticed unless you know or something as simple as putting needle in 180° out will mess things up

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210202-081804~2.png
    Screenshot_20210202-081804~2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
Yea you absolutely do not need a motor on it to tune it. Adjusting the timing is usually pretty straight forward. You are just loosening the assembly that the bobbin case sits in, rotating it and the hand wheel so the hook passes the notch in the needle just as the needle begins to rise from its lowest position, and then tighten it back down. The hook should also barely miss the needle. Set it as close as you can.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

it’s silly I put this off for so long. I watched 1 video and it seems very simple to adjust the timing. I’m going try and get it set tonight. Thanks for the input, I’ll check back in with good news hopefully.

it’s silly I put this off for so long. I watched 1 video and it seems very simple to adjust the timing. I’m going try and get it set tonight. Thanks for the input, I’ll check back in with good news hopefully.
Don't forget to lock your bobbin plate in to those tabs like in picture, I sometimes forget and it will not pick up the thread.

Use good fitting screw driver on those set screws on driveshaft, mine were crazy tight and that would be a nasty job to have to drill um out if stripped

Spend the money and get the servo motor. It is so much better than the clutch.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Yep that’s what I plan to do. That’s why I didn’t buy the clutch motor that came with it originally.

FB396245-6738-48E8-8274-78AFB2741D89.png8F155533-ED83-4FF4-91B8-FA6535EE7392.png
I need to pick up thread and needles.. I can’t seem to tell what my machine will take because I’m not sure what model machine I have. My plate says 241-1 but the manual only lists 241-11,-12,&-13

I would like to go to joans and pick up thread and needle to use as I set the time and move into tuning the machine.

Just throwing up a really clear and concise video on thread tension i found for a similar model machine.

F7397B97-AAD3-411C-ACF8-91540821BE5D.jpeg
so talking with one of the resident sewing machine experts and doing a little digging myself it appears that what I thought was a beefy industrial machine is an industrial machine but an industrial machine for light garments... So I’m not sure if it will be able to handle the projects I hope to do with it. I only have $50 in the whole thing right now but I’m trying to decide wether to get the servo motor and continue on or pawn it off and look for something else to start with. I think one other limitation is the presser foot height. I’m not sure what the measurement is but it looks like 5/16 or so. What’s everyone think?

Supposing you're not going to go out and buy a brand new machine, my vote is to plan on upgrading, but buy a 750w brushless servo for it now.

Chances are good that any better used machine you find will come with a clutch motor you want to replace on it. Take that clutch motor and mount it to the 241 table, then sell it and move the servo to your better machine.

Agreed. Personally I wouldn't sell the machine since you have so little into it. You can get another machine to fit on the same table and just swap the machines out as needed for each project. I have multiple machines and I'm considering setting one up for dedicated edge binding.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back