• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One Buck Rule

What are your thoughts on the one buck rule?

• I like it

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • I hate it

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • I'm indifferent

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Who cares

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Reagan H.

Vendor Rep
I looked and didn't see a thread on this yet, so is the consensus on the one buck rule? Has it made a difference in your state? I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this as I've seen a lot of discussion lately on hunting forums in Indiana...

Just curious, how many states is this a HARD rule? Maryland has some restriction based on weapon season and buying a bonus tag, but we max out at 3 per year. I know some require you to fulfilled doe tags first, but which state is it a firm only one buck?

I voted indifferent because I think it matters where it is being discussed. States with lower populations, I would certainly support it. Here, we have a strong population that will easily support 2 bucks which is what we have had as far back as I can remember. I feel the bigger issue would be removing modern gun from the rut if you want to influence the buck carryover.

I'm afraid if Ohio did not have it there would be no bucks left. I would like to see antler restrictions also like some western states. I believe it would alleviate some of the deer drive "spray and pray attitude"

How would antler restrictions work? I'm sorry I'm not quiet sure what that term means. As in only 6 pts or above like some guided outfitters? Because I'm still at the stage that I'll be happy with a 4 pts. Not trying to be smartass, serious question about how this restriction would work.

PA one buck, hard rule.

Too many hunters. Can't imagine allowing more than one buck tag. It's hard enough to get one respectable legal buck here, as it is. If guys were shooting 2-3 every year, they would be wiped out.

I need to move, apparently.

How would antler restrictions work? I'm sorry I'm not quiet sure what that term means. As in only 6 pts or above like some guided outfitters? Because I'm still at the stage that I'll be happy with a 4 pts. Not trying to be smartass, serious question about how this restriction would work.
Yeah, For a few years where I live you couldn't shoot a buck unless it had 4 3 inch tines on one side.

When I hunted Colorado they had implemented a four pt. restriction. I believe it not only allowed the young buck to grow up but also prevented some from shooting at running deer that they could not possibly judge. Maybe prevent some of the wounding losses. JMO though. In Ohio we can kill any buck w/over a 3" spike. He's not had a chance to make it past his first fall of the year. We are also one buck, hard and fast rule, w/a total of six deer statewide.

Here we have 3 type areas. The general state rule is 3 points on one side but there are certain areas that have no restrictions and there are also some areas that follow a different standard which is a buck has to have either a 15" inside spread or a main beam at least 18" long. AR's have proven to make a difference in the quality of bucks you will see here and in other states because it offers some protection for the younger age class bucks. It's not a golden bullet to have giant bucks but it does have merit.

Yeah, For a few years where I live you couldn't shoot a buck unless it had 4 3 inch tines on one side.
Just to make sure I'm following, you had to shoot essentially a basket rack 8 point? That seems potentially overkill IMO.

Just to make sure I'm following, you had to shoot essentially a basket rack 8 point? That seems potentially overkill IMO.
I wasn't real clear, that was the minimum - 4 3 inch on one side. Bigger was ok too. And to really muddy things up that was only in 3 or 5 counties in the state ( MI) I guess it was for a CWD study of some sort

I can’t vote for any of those choices. In my opinion, this question should be applied zone by zone. There are areas of this country with 60-200 deer per square mile and there are regions with less than 6 deer per square mile. Deer management is far too complicated to make generalizations about strategy on a national scale. I think the choice really depends on deer density, buck to doe ratio, age class numbers and the number of hunters.

So the restriction would keep hunters like you from harvesting the young deer that other hunters are passing up. That deer gets to walk all season and possibly breed and keeps the buck:doe ratio more even. Also more "quality" bucks walking around. I dont really care either way but thats the idea behind it. A lot of hunters like it. Kinda like increasing the size limit on a fish. it sucks at first but then 5 years later it starts to make sense. Ive watched it work with Hogfish in FL. 5 fish limit 12" to 1 fish limit 16" and a shortened season. Hogfish are around again. I was mad at first but realized a few of us could wipe out the whole reef in a few weeks and we were. woops

MD does have antler restrictions so just a heads up...

White-tailed Deer Seasons and Bag Limits Antlered Deer – Statewide

Definition: An antlered white-tailed deer is a deer with two or more points to one antler, or a deer with at least one antler three or more inches long, measuring from the top of the skull as the deer is in life.

Antler Point Restriction: Deer hunters may harvest one antlered deer during a license year within the established statewide bag limit (including bonus antlered deer) that does not meet the requirement of having at least three points on one antler. Any remaining antlered deer taken within the established bag limit must have at least three points on one antler. Antlered deer can be taken in any order. Junior hunters (16 years old or younger) and apprentice license holders are exempt from the three antler point requirement.

I wouldnt mind a 1 buck limit in MD. would keep a lot of PA boys from waltzin across that line haha.

I wasn't real clear, that was the minimum - 4 3 inch on one side. Bigger was ok too. And to really muddy things up that was only in 3 or 5 counties in the state ( MI) I guess it was for a CWD study of some sort
That sucks, in west TN right now it is basically open season on all deer because of CWD.

When I hunted Colorado they had implemented a four pt. restriction. I believe it not only allowed the young buck to grow up but also prevented some from shooting at running deer that they could not possibly judge. Maybe prevent some of the wounding losses. JMO though. In Ohio we can kill any buck w/over a 3" spike. He's not had a chance to make it past his first fall of the year. We are also one buck, hard and fast rule, w/a total of six deer statewide.

Ok that is logical and I can go on board with that. So Maryland is a little more simple, basically if less than 2 pts, its considered a doe. I'm just curious on how this would be enforced outside of a guided hunt agreement since you're not going to pay $600 to have someone guide you to hunt a doe. So are bucks 3-5 pts off limit completely? or would they be consider doe? Because I don't understand what would stop others (I would include myself on this group) from shooting at 4 pts and just burning a doe tag on it legally.

I STAND CORRECTED. Reading the regs closer now.

Last edited:
All I care about is transparency in the decision making process.

Well be terrible at gathering data, analyzing it, and making decisions based on it. Always are. That’s fine!

We just all need to be able to look at how and why management decisions are made, and decide if that’s ok. Build a good process, the results work themselves out.

In the meantime, I don’t care about limits. I shoot what I want.

Because I spring for gas and tags in other places rather than attempt to change crappy management practices.

I know - y’all thought the outlaws slipped up and admitted it…

Ok that is logical and I can go on board with that. So Maryland is a little more simple, basically if less than 2 pts, its considered a doe. I'm just curious on how this would be enforced outside of a guided hunt agreement since you're not going to pay $600 to have someone guide you to hunt a doe. So are bucks 3-5 pts off limit completely? or would they be consider doe? Because I don't understand what would stop others (I would include myself on this group) from shooting at 4 pts and just burning a doe tag on it legally.
NO... That is not the MD rule lol. A one antlered spike buck is still an antlered deer if its over 3" . Careful what youre shootin

So the restriction would keep hunters like you from harvesting the young deer that other hunters are passing up. That deer gets to walk all season and possibly breed and keeps the buck:doe ratio more even. Also more "quality" bucks walking around. I dont really care either way but thats the idea behind it. A lot of hunters like it. Kinda like increasing the size limit on a fish. it sucks at first but then 5 years later it starts to make sense. Ive watched it work with Hogfish in FL. 5 fish limit 12" to 1 fish limit 16" and a shortened season. Hogfish are around again. I was mad at first but realized a few of us could wipe out the whole reef in a few weeks and we were. woops

MD does have antler restrictions so just a heads up...

White-tailed Deer Seasons and Bag Limits Antlered Deer – Statewide

Definition: An antlered white-tailed deer is a deer with two or more points to one antler, or a deer with at least one antler three or more inches long, measuring from the top of the skull as the deer is in life.

Antler Point Restriction: Deer hunters may harvest one antlered deer during a license year within the established statewide bag limit (including bonus antlered deer) that does not meet the requirement of having at least three points on one antler. Any remaining antlered deer taken within the established bag limit must have at least three points on one antler. Antlered deer can be taken in any order. Junior hunters (16 years old or younger) and apprentice license holders are exempt from the three antler point requirement.

I wouldnt mind a 1 buck limit in MD. would keep a lot of PA boys from waltzin across that line haha.

Good point, but is this more of a classification issue instead of a restriction issue? Because if I harvested a spike, it is considered a doe. The proposed 'restriction' would only protect protect 1 year old, as I understand at 2 years old most get small 6pts.

I STAND CORRECTED. Looking at regs now.

Back