• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One Sticking components

SupplyGuy170

Wanting to practice one Sticking this spring in prep for next deer season. Going to run a Stacked outdoors with a 3 step aider. The only thing I've been trying to figure out is what I need for repelling back down. I know I need about 40ft of 8mm static rope, a belay device (like a madrock safeguard)and, a binder to attach to my bridge. UT I feel like I'm missing some key components here.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

^^^ Just trying to save you some money...

You should get a quick-link or a Delta link or another carabiner to attach your rappel rope to the tree.
You'll need a pull-down rope as well...

Screenshot_20210901-061816_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210610-093848_Camera.jpg

With what you know you need and what @phatkaw suggested is all you need to safely rappel out of the tree. No need to make it complicated but if your still wanting to get a madrock use a 9mm rope like CIV. It’s a better choice and you won’t go on a ride if your 8mm rope like oplux gets wet

A Figure 9 is another option to consider in place of the Safeguard. Kind of a blend between a Figure 8 and the Safeguard as it has a handle for rappel operation. Both the 8 & the 9 are relatively inexpensive and have no mechanical parts.

Another alternative is to simply use a carabiner that you probably already have with you. Learn to tie a Munter on it and rappel off that. Old school, cheap, and easy.

All of these (Safeguard included) should have a backup such as an autoblock (such as a Sterling Hollow Block). So I'd add that to your shopping list. Relatively inexpensive, light, and easy to use. It seems that some on here choose not to use one. User risk tradeoff preference.

Keep in mind that I'm just some dude on the internet. I have no expertise and I actually have limited experience with any of this. I'm just offering insights into things I have learned through research. You should seek professional training.

I'm in the same boat as you learning one stick this off season. I have not tried a mechanical safeguard. I have tried a figure 8 in multiple configurations and a large carabineer with a super munter. Definitely like the munter rappel better feels like I have more control. I also tried an autoblock ok my lineman loop for backup and a double meech (learned from JRB) above it, and prefer the double meech. Again feels like I have more control.

Just another “some dude on the internet here”, I highly suggest a delta quick link in case you need to go around branch. I wouldn’t use a carabiner. Some guys do but my research says that cross loading one can result in catastrophic failure. I started with a sterling hollow block as a backup and highly recommend it for learning at the least. I have gotten comfortable enough to stop using it but glad I had it to start with. In my opinion every one sticker should carry a hand ascender and foot loop for self rescue situations. I once had my stick drop out “my fault” and that saved me. If you hang from your rappel rope and safeguard 100% of the time it’s not necessary, but still nice to have if you drop something or need to get down and return to hunting hight for any reason. Faster and easier to srt back up.

I'm in the same boat as you learning one stick this off season. I have not tried a mechanical safeguard. I have tried a figure 8 in multiple configurations and a large carabineer with a super munter. Definitely like the munter rappel better feels like I have more control. I also tried an autoblock ok my lineman loop for backup and a double meech (learned from JRB) above it, and prefer the double meech. Again feels like I have more control.

Have you tried this dudes "configuration"? It provides very good control!

Have you tried this dudes "configuration"? It provides very good control!

I think I've tried that method, but I'll give it another shot and see how I like it. This might even motivate me to do a climb this afternoon

Save yourself some money and go with a Figure 8.

After watching [mention]phatkaw [/mention] video on how he uses the Figure 8, I sold my Safeguard and have been using it ever since.

I liked my safeguard a lot, but for $20, the Figure 8 was hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another option is a rescue fig 8, cost are about the same, no mechanical parts and gives some places to since the rope for extra peace of mind when synching down to remove platform etc

8mm or 9mm static line. You can go bigger, 10 or 11 is standard for arborists and sport climbers, these give you better control (more surface area and friction) but there's a weight/bulk penalty. I run 9mm C-IV.

You need some hitch cord that's 2/3-3/4 the diameter of your rappell line. It's cheap, so get a lot. Get different brands and see which works best with your rap line, and practice tying hitches with it.. It sees a lot of friction so don't be shy about retiring it when it's looking worn.

I like my fig8, others prefer Munters or ATCs. Personal preference.

Consider a rope bag, or figure our how you want to carry/ store it.

Do you mean the 8 plate itself or the 'configuration'?

It a Black Diamond Super Eight yes.
The 'configuration' is 'The Phatkaw Method'... :screamcat:

LOL
The Black Diamond Super 8, thought so, just wanted confirmation. Thanks, may give that a try

Dude, they're only 20 bucks and they are soo much smoother to rappel with than a Madrock or a Birdie.

Garrett has a pretty good setup here for rappelling:
Other manual devices to try would also be a mammut smart 2.0. If you go the Madrock route make sure you understand the difference between the safeguard vs lifeguard. Many folks are tempted by the cheaper price and availability of the lifeguard only to be disappointed or surprised.

I like an ATC with a Prussik just below it for a brake. I just tend the prussik and it’s very smooth using 8mm resctech. I have a figure 8 and am gonna try that too.

Back