• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One Sticking - First Attempt

HuntNorthEast

First off I would like to say how I am glad I joined SaddleHunter and I like how active the forums are. Second, I would like to thank the guys that give input and take the time to talk about things. @Swampman was more than accommodating with my interest in acquiring a Muddy pro to one stick with. Further conversation at home led to not being able to swing the extra cash for a different climbing set up due to another baby on the way (hopefully this one is a boy, even though my daughter is already quite the archer and very interested in hunting at only 3 years old.) So, shoutout to @Swampman for the help and courtesy! Thanks!

So, back to one-sticking. Last night I took one of my cut down LW sticks (video of mod on our YouTube) and made my attempt at one sticking. I used the cam buckle strap that is supplied from the factory (not ideal for one-sticking). In 4 moves I was WAYYY higher than I needed to be. I Was probably around 28-30' and usually I hunt around 18-22' (platform height).

I found that my first attempt ascending wasn't bad, for a first attempt. Descending on the other hand, way easier. 3 moves and I was back to the ground, vice the 4 moves up. From now on going forward, 3 moves up, 2 moves down. I don't know how this works mathematically, but it does. Maybe my descending strides are longer?

Even though buying a used Muddy Pro isn't in the cards right now, eventually I will be switching to a Muddy Pro with a 18" Single 1' wide webbing aider (detachable at height.) Also, I will stick with descending on the same stick due to the fact that I like minimal amount of ropes/gear and I find descending easy/fast enough.

Saving the weight and bulk of 3 additional sticks makes up for the weight and bulk of camera gear/bow hanger. Once I am solid and have my system redesigned, I will upload a video to the channel going over it for those of you interested!
HuntNorthEast1.png

First off I would like to say how I am glad I joined SaddleHunter and I like how active the forums are. Second, I would like to thank the guys that give input and take the time to talk about things. @Swampman was more than accommodating with my interest in acquiring a Muddy pro to one stick with. Further conversation at home led to not being able to swing the extra cash for a different climbing set up due to another baby on the way (hopefully this one is a boy, even though my daughter is already quite the archer and very interested in hunting at only 3 years old.) So, shoutout to @Swampman for the help and courtesy! Thanks!

So, back to one-sticking. Last night I took one of my cut down LW sticks (video of mod on our YouTube) and made my attempt at one sticking. I used the cam buckle strap that is supplied from the factory (not ideal for one-sticking). In 4 moves I was WAYYY higher than I needed to be. I Was probably around 28-30' and usually I hunt around 18-22' (platform height).

I found that my first attempt ascending wasn't bad, for a first attempt. Descending on the other hand, way easier. 3 moves and I was back to the ground, vice the 4 moves up. From now on going forward, 3 moves up, 2 moves down. I don't know how this works mathematically, but it does. Maybe my descending strides are longer?

Even though buying a used Muddy Pro isn't in the cards right now, eventually I will be switching to a Muddy Pro with a 18" Single 1' wide webbing aider (detachable at height.) Also, I will stick with descending on the same stick due to the fact that I like minimal amount of ropes/gear and I find descending easy/fast enough.

Saving the weight and bulk of 3 additional sticks makes up for the weight and bulk of camera gear/bow hanger. Once I am solid and have my system redesigned, I will upload a video to the channel going over it for those of you interested!
View attachment 31152
Yup good crew here, you could also do the same thing w/an EWO stick & add a cam cleat once you get budget stable........ you’ll have a lighter one stick & wont have the Q/C issues that muddy has (if you find a good batch they’re fine)

Yup good crew here, you could also do the same thing w/an EWO stick & add a cam cleat once you get budget stable........ you’ll have a lighter one stick & wont have the Q/C issues that muddy has (if you find a good batch they’re fine)
Thanks for the info, I will look into it. What cam cleat you guys usually us for a DIY mod?

I love the one-sticking method. Honestly I have never even attempted to descend with a single stick. I take the small penalty to carry rappel set up. Coming down with one stick in the dark/cold/scared/excited/whatever never sounded good to me.

I remember the first time I rappelled down in the dark... glorious. Full disclosure I have prior rappel experience but think its a safer way to come down a tree.

Harken/ Schafer/ Nautos cam cleats are pretty popular around here.

Last edited:
I use a cam cleat and rope mod when one-sticking, but the top of my stick is also my platform, so at the last move up, I'd prefer to add a cam strap in addition for extra stability. I worry about side pressure causing kick-outs - been able to simulate them at ground level and want to avoid it up high.

why is it not ideal for you?

The cam strap is annoying to me because it’s difficult to take the slack out of. I like to open the cam and pull the slack out. It ends up taking me a couple times to do since the slack always wants to fall down the tree. Sometime I am able to hold the slack in my fingers while take the slack out but the loop on the other side makes it difficult to hold everything tight. If you just pull the webbing through cam over and over again you will wear down the webbing and it won’t catch/hold well. I had this happen to a lonewolf hang on stand and i about sent myself flying. I also don’t like that huge piece of metal swinging around. I’ll knock it against something at least once no matter how hard I try. I prefer to unattached my stick each time when I move it up.
That said I am currently still using a cam strap because it’s what I have.

Does anyone flip the orientation of the cam strap? I.e. short loop to the stick and wrap the long loop back to the button. Thoughts? I’ve played with both.

I used the short side at the stick and didn't have any banging issues @gcr0003 as for your question @kyler1945 I also like to completely remove it from the tree instead of play the game of fighting with shimmying the strap. It's just easier to remove, move, replace. Not the end of the world with the cam buckle, but cleat would be more user friendly. That doesn't mean it will suit everyone's use or style though.

The cam strap is annoying to me because it’s difficult to take the slack out of. I like to open the cam and pull the slack out. It ends up taking me a couple times to do since the slack always wants to fall down the tree. Sometime I am able to hold the slack in my fingers while take the slack out but the loop on the other side makes it difficult to hold everything tight. If you just pull the webbing through cam over and over again you will wear down the webbing and it won’t catch/hold well. I had this happen to a lonewolf hang on stand and i about sent myself flying. I also don’t like that huge piece of metal swinging around. I’ll knock it against something at least once no matter how hard I try. I prefer to unattached my stick each time when I move it up.
That said I am currently still using a cam strap because it’s what I have.

Does anyone flip the orientation of the cam strap? I.e. short loop to the stick and wrap the long loop back to the button. Thoughts? I’ve played with both.
I do this. The buckle can't bang into anything. I can hold the stick in my hand and press the cam button with my thumb. Watch out for your knee hitting the release.

Last edited:
So you simply screwed the buckle to your stick? I suppose that is a way to do it.
Yes. My stick will not fall down the tree when the cam cleat releases and the rope falls out. One less thing to worry about. There is a slight rotational movement due to the offset attachment point but I think there is also with a cam cleat on every one I have seen. When the stick is set, it is solid.

Any of you one stickers out there have suggestions on aiders? I found that practicing one sticking the other night, and aider is pretty necessary. Was thinking of running a 1" wide 18" long loop of webbing that is detachable at hunting height, but curious about other suggestions? Thanks!

Any of you one stickers out there have suggestions on aiders? I found that practicing one sticking the other night, and aider is pretty necessary. Was thinking of running a 1" wide 18" long loop of webbing that is detachable at hunting height, but curious about other suggestions? Thanks!
@HuntNorthEast, im assuming you are using an aider as well? Is it a single point of contact aider, or double? I find that an aider that hangs on the steps (2 points of contact) are much more stable than a single point of contact and make the climb a bit easier.
Just asked a question about aiders, than went back and saw this and I could not agree more. Definately going to use a single step aider at my same basic climbing stride of 18".

Back