• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One sticking - original method

I don't qualify for old fart yet but that looks pretty similar to what I do. I prefer a daisy chain and versa button on my stick when I one stick. I also use a cam strap on my x- wing with an aider to climb the same style.

I know daisy's don't get very tight but for some reason the cam cleat doesn't do it for me. Just seems loose and sketchy. Sure it works. I prefer smaller moves and just hold onto my stick/platform with one hand and undo the attachment with the other hand. You have to mind that buckle if you use a cam strap but it's not awful

I just meant don't let it flop around and bang on stuff, it's metal on metal clank
Gottcha I find that it takes about 4”-6” of slack to move freely. This keeps it out of the metal to metal danger zone. Glad you brought it up, something that I should have addressed in the video. This is like riding a bike for me after 11yrs so there is a lot a take for granted.

I don't qualify for old fart yet but that looks pretty similar to what I do. I prefer a daisy chain and versa button on my stick when I one stick. I also use a cam strap on my x- wing with an aider to climb the same style.

I know daisy's don't get very tight but for some reason the cam cleat doesn't do it for me. Just seems loose and sketchy. Sure it works. I prefer smaller moves and just hold onto my stick/platform with one hand and undo the attachment with the other hand. You have to mind that buckle if you use a cam strap but it's not awful
I use an old Hawk Helium buckle on my onestick similar to how the TethrdOne stick is. It is very secure and 2-3 wraps is enough. When I'm at height I just wrap it all the way until I run out of straps. Like this.

Rappelling is awesome. It's fun, and I like the ability to bail in an instant. Using a progress capture device imo makes it safer also. If used correctly it greatly reduces or eliminates fall factor concerns inherent to one-sticking.

Cam cleats, meh, take it or leave it. Doesn't make much difference.

I remember watching this style of one sticking years ago and never getting the dropping off to the side style down . I do use a came buckle and alternate between sliding up and removing the buckle altogether. Keeping everything in a line is just easier for me.

I would agree that most new guys skip the step of learning how to get down one sticking and go straight to rappelling. I think they are doing a great disservice to themselves. It’s always good to know multiple ways to get out of the tree in a bind. One sticking is quite easy, but like anything takes a little practice.

I would agree that most new guys skip the step of learning how to get down one sticking and go straight to rappelling. I think they are doing a great disservice to themselves. It’s always good to know multiple ways to get out of the tree in a bind. One sticking is quite easy, but like anything takes a little practice.
I'm guilty of not learning how to onestick down. Rappelling just make more sense to me. But if there are people that really hate rappelling, I say 2TC down is a lot easier than onesticking down. I think 2TC down is a skill that anyone that goes up a tree need to learn, especially tree stand users, ESPECIALLY climbers. If anyone read the manual that comes with their harness, there should be instruction on how to use the leg loop that comes with all harness in conjunction with their harness as a 2TC climbing down method.

I'm guilty of not learning how to onestick down. Rappelling just make more sense to me. But if there are people that really hate rappelling, I say 2TC down is a lot easier than onesticking down. I think 2TC down is a skill that anyone that goes up a tree need to learn, especially tree stand users, ESPECIALLY climbers. If anyone read the manual that comes with their harness, there should be instruction on how to use the leg loop that comes with all harness in conjunction with their harness as a 2TC climbing down method.
Can you explain how 2TC is easier or more efficient than climbing down as shown in the video? I know it was only 15’ but it’s down and pack in 2mins.

Can you explain how 2TC is easier or more efficient than climbing down as shown in the video? I know it was only 15’ but it’s down and pack in 2mins.
I think that’s just an assumption he was making based on his limited experience. I’m his defense this was a one of the more difficult concepts for me to get down. In the beginning biggest problem was spreading the movements out too much. Being proficient in both 2TC and one sticking I would say they are equally easy to do. The mechanics are essentially the same for each: hang from tether, move stick or bottom tether down, stand on stick or bottom tether, move top tether down. Rinse and repeat.

I think that’s just an assumption he was making based on his limited experience. I’m his defense this was a one of the more difficult concepts for me to get down. In the beginning biggest problem was spreading the movements out too much. Being proficient in both 2TC and one sticking I would say they are equally easy to do. The mechanics are essentially the same for each: hang from tether, move stick or bottom tether down, stand on stick or bottom tether, move top tether down. Rinse and repeat.
I can see that. My opinion is sticking down is easier because it’s a stable 2 foot platform vs doing a leg wrap.

Would it be more apples to apples to show this method with a 3 step aider? Meaning would it relate more to the dedicated stick & cam cleat method.

I can see that. My opinion is sticking down is easier because it’s a stable 2 foot platform vs doing a leg wrap.
I don’t leg wrap and it’s not necessary. I would agree a standing on a stick is going to be more stable for folks starting out.

Would it be more apples to apples to show this method with a 3 step aider? Meaning would it relate more to the dedicated stick & cam cleat method.
This was the first thing I thought of. Even if you’re not using a cam cleat I think just about everyone has transitioned to using some type of 2 or 3 step aider. That sling going over the top for the bottom step was probably the strangest thing for me. If I was going to use only one foot loop it would still connect at the bottom step. It’s more stable for me that way. Also, though it’s doable it did appear to be a stretch for each move. Multiple steps just makes those movements easier and less of a stretch.

I also don’t like that hanging off to the side because the straight up and down position it puts you in the saddle. That is not comfortable at all. Even if I was going to hang from the side I’d still want to be sitting in the saddle with either my knees or feet against the tree and my saddle under my butt.

I think similar to 2TC there are many ways to make it your own. Going off to the side and not disconnecting your cam buckle could make moves a little faster and allow you to get that stick up a little higher. Those are the two pros to the original style that you climb.

Put your tether off to the side before you make your move, then you still sit in the saddle. I put my to the right typically, the same side I usually run my cam buckle to.

Would that address the position issue your talking about @gcr0003 ?

Put your tether off to the side before you make your move, then you still sit in the saddle. I put my to the right typically, the same side I usually run my cam buckle to.

Would that address the position issue your talking about @gcr0003 ?
I’ve done that before too that’s not what I’m talking about. One second I’ll grab a screenshot.

I hate the position shown below while hanging. If I’m in my saddle I’ll have my feet or knees against the tree or straddling so that the waist is comfortable in the seat instead of the legs loops of the saddle. When you’re straight up like this that is where the weight goes.

This doesn’t effect one’s ability to climb this way (off to the side) it’s just a preference I have.
67B04481-B0E3-4522-8EF8-3E815CC035CA.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve done that before too that’s not what I’m talking about. One second I’ll grab a screenshot.

I hate the position shown below while hanging. If I’m in my saddle I’ll have my feet or knees against the tree or straddling so that the waist is comfortable in the seat instead of the legs loops of the saddle. When you’re straight up like this that is where the weight goes.

This doesn’t effect one’s ability to climb this way (off to the side) it’s just a preference I have.
View attachment 92940
I would normally run knees to tree, but I didn’t put on knee pads for this quick demo.

Also I climbed for roughly 5 yrs with an RCH so this position is just habit.

View attachment 92940
Gotcha. Agreed, that's the worst way to do it!

Back