• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Oplux and Amsteel continuous loop

Nugget

Is anyone out there using an Amsteel continuous loop as a prusik on their Oplux? Thinking that a 1/8" or 3/16" continuous loop may be a better alternative than the Beal Jammy. I may build one this evening. Please provide some guidance/feedback.

Works like a champ. This is 3/16 amsteel cont loop, but not full bury. This was what I was using on my original double tether climbing system, but went to amsteel for the entire rig. (Strictly for weight savings)
c5673cfebd96c808aac8ca85f25120e4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Works like a champ. This is 3/16 amsteel cont loop, but not full bury. This was what I was using on my original double tether climbing system, but went to amsteel for the entire rig. (Strictly for weight savings)

So there's no issues with the prusik being able to slide on the Oplux after its been loaded?

Why didn't you go with the full bury?

I tried it. Full bury didnt bite as well and I got some slip.

Now you tell me.
Yup.. full bury 3/16" slips

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200324-191621_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200324-191621_Gallery.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 129
Think I have a winner with a 1/8" amsteel continuous loop. This one is a 10" loop. It bite under a load and break better than expected. Good bye Beal Jammy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200324-194807_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200324-194807_Gallery.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 94
Think it will work with other knots? Or even as an eye to eye?
No clue. This continues loop is ony 10". Think i would need a bigger loop to try other knot. It works with a rope tender too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200324-202359_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200324-202359_Gallery.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 103
Think I have a winner with a 1/8" amsteel continuous loop. This one is a 10" loop. It bite under a load and break better than expected. Good bye Beal Jammy
I start getting nervous under 3/16, cept for daisychains. Only because im fat!

How much of a bury do you need for the prussic you made?

What is the strength of a 1/8 amsteel full bury loop?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Think it will work with other knots? Or even as an eye to eye?
Great question.

I made a 3/16" Amsteel Distel hitch this morning. It bites as good as the 1/8 continuous loop but break alot better. 3/16 amsteel also has a higher breaking strength at 5,400lbs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200325-080416_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200325-080416_Gallery.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Couple weeks ago I put and eye to eye 7/64 amsteel piece on some 6mm TRC in a distel hitch. Works well but I want to try it with 1/8" as well for added strength and it would be a little easier to give slack when applying pressure to the top of the hitch simply because of the larger diameter. By the way anyone know where I can get some 1/8" Amsteel since dutchware has stopped shipping for the time being.

Couple weeks ago I put and eye to eye 7/64 amsteel piece on some 6mm TRC in a distel hitch. Works well but I want to try it with 1/8" as well for added strength and it would be a little easier to give slack when applying pressure to the top of the hitch simply because of the larger diameter. By the way anyone know where I can get some 1/8" Amsteel since dutchware has stopped shipping for the time being.
Come on man.... DanO is still open!

I also have some extra that I would be willing to sell or trade. Would love to trade for 3/16 Amsteel.

Back