• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Oplux!!

Shane6491

So I finally made the switch to oplux. I would tell anyone thinking about switching to do so. I’m packing 35’ in my sys hauler fits perfectly. So light weight compared to the 11mm I was running. Who out there has made the switch ? Y’all like it? Do any of you run something better. I’m always down to try something better.

I'm probably in the minority here but I've been practicing with Oplux all spring/summer. I really, really want to like it . . . it's so much lighter and more compact. However fact of the matter is, for me anyway, I'm not sure its going to make the cut for hunting setups. I just don't feel like I can grip it as well in my gnarly old hands as I can my 11.4mm rope when rappelling. My thought is if I'm uncomfortable with it during the warm summer months, its only going to be worse with cold hands.

OpLux is sweet when it comes to packability. However, Canyon C-IV is my rope of choice this year since finding that I can shove 35ft of it into my water bottle pouch. The C-IV is just a hardier rope than OpLux, and for me, that equates to an easier time shimmying it up the trunk (less snagging) as I advance my tether. I love that it has a sheath similar to HTP but a core that makes it a little more malleable than HTP.

According to Samson, you can splice it with a class II double braid splice. That's what I did with my line'sman.
I inquired about splicing and was told it would have to be a naked splice, aka no sheath on the loop. I passed on that.

I like the Samson UltraTech 8mm slightly better than OpLux. It is also stronger than OpLux.
I have them at as well. Got it from EWO and have not put it in play as of yet. You say it’s better than oplux?

Comparing specs from Sterling's website between Oplux and Canyon C-IV has Oplux with a higher MBS rating (kN) 24.3 vs 20.7 and MBS rating(lb) 5,440 vs 4,663 than the new about to be the favorite flavor around here Canyon C-IV.

Oplux is still more "packable" than anything out there thanks in part to it's 8mm size but that is also it's Achilles heel because that size is below the rated size rope required for use with mechanical devices like the Madrock Safeguard.

I've been playing with Oplux as a tether/rappel rope and found that my 6mm TRC distel hitch does not hold well on it. I even gave it an extra wrap and I was still able to get it to slide down if I bounced in my saddle. The schwabish hitch works much better but that also needed an extra wrap than usual but it does hold solid.

I used 9mm HTP all of last season and was very happy with it except for it's neon green color and the fact that 40' doesn't fit in my dump pouch. Just might have to try out that new flavor now...

I've been playing with Oplux as a tether/rappel rope and found that my 6mm TRC distel hitch does not hold well on it. I even gave it an extra wrap and I was still able to get it to slide down if I bounced in my saddle. The schwabish hitch works much better but that also needed an extra wrap than usual but it does hold solid.

That’s odd. I’ve never had an issue with the TRC and oplux. Used it on my tether all last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm probably in the minority here but I've been practicing with Oplux all spring/summer. I really, really want to like it . . . it's so much lighter and more compact. However fact of the matter is, for me anyway, I'm not sure its going to make the cut for hunting setups. I just don't feel like I can grip it as well in my gnarly old hands as I can my 11.4mm rope when rappelling. My thought is if I'm uncomfortable with it during the warm summer months, its only going to be worse with cold hands.
I feel the same way almost. I’ve already told some buddy’s that I’m going to Have to pack a glove so I can grip it better and not burn myself. I’m with you 100% I can grip my 11mm better for sure.

Comparing specs from Sterling's website between Oplux and Canyon C-IV has Oplux with a higher MBS rating (kN) 24.3 vs 20.7 and MBS rating(lb) 5,440 vs 4,663 than the new about to be the favorite flavor around here Canyon C-IV.

Oplux is still more "packable" than anything out there thanks in part to it's 8mm size but that is also it's Achilles heel because that size is below the rated size rope required for use with mechanical devices like the Madrock Safeguard.

I used 9mm HTP all of last season and was very happy with it except for it's neon green color and the fact that 40' doesn't fit in my dump pouch. Just might have to try out that new flavor now...
I use my oplux with my safeguard I know a lot of us do even tho it’s slightly out of spec. I have yet to have any problems.

I like the Samson UltraTech 8mm slightly better than OpLux. It is also stronger than OpLux.
You and @Ontariofarmer seem to be the only people I can find using ultra-tech. Could you tell me what Accessory Cord you use for your hitches if you use it for your LB and Tree Tether as well as your rappel? Thanks!

The Ultratech is spliceable with a covered eye, either a long bury only, or a shorter bury with a locked brummel. It’s more complicated if making a second eye on a hitch cord, but still able to be done.

A word of warning is to NOT use UltraTech for a bridge, it has a Technora core which is an aramid, that has the problem of being self abrading. Running something with a small diameter like a carabiner, or ring in the arborist world, will cause it to thin in the middle and eventually break, happened a few times to my knowledge, once during a tree climbing competition. Not being able to examine the core because of the cover adds to the problem.

Back