• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ordering a new string

I'm new to traditional gear and am wondering about ordering new strings. I picked up an old Pearson Equalizer 7148 at a garage sale for $15 that didnt have a string. How do you determine the length a new string should be? Its marked 48", is it as simple as that? What is a good resource for ordering? Also, how do you choose type of string? Thanks in advance.

You will need Dacron for that bow amo is 48” so most likely it will be a 44” string. Depending on the bows out there it will be 3 to 4” less. Nice shooting ol school bow. 3 rivers archery is a great resource If I had any Dacron I would twist you up one

What's a good way to learn about types/differences/lingo or does it just come with experience?
I have volume 1 of this series...pretty good.
I also have a couple other good books at home, but their name escapes me at the moment. I will check later....

This is a good book, too. I have the version in this link but there is a later edition for a lot less money.

I'll have to get a copy of these, thanks.

I'm new to traditional gear and am wondering about ordering new strings. I picked up an old Pearson Equalizer 7148 at a garage sale for $15 that didnt have a string. How do you determine the length a new string should be? Its marked 48", is it as simple as that? What is a good resource for ordering? Also, how do you choose type of string? Thanks in advance.
$15 bow and a $40 string, naw, just for fun make one from 1/8 or 7/64 amsteel blue bout $2.

Should you only stay with the recommended string material or can I use string that is a modern technically superior material/style?

The old manual for my bow (which was made in 1969) said dacron. From what I understand that some string pockets are not reinforced so can not use fastflight because it would start cutting into the limbs overtime. But can I use a flemish twist? B50?

The other newb question I have is about getting arrows to start practicing. Is there a way to figure out arrow type/spine that might give me an idea on what to order just to get started slinging and worry about tuning more later?

Should you only stay with the recommended string material or can I use string that is a modern technically superior material/style?

The old manual for my bow (which was made in 1969) said dacron. From what I understand that some string pockets are not reinforced so can not use fastflight because it would start cutting into the limbs overtime. But can I use a flemish twist? B50?

I wouldn't use a high tech string material on an older bow.
Yes, you can use a B50 flemish twist string. Flemish twist refers to style of construction, not to the material. Flemish twist come in a variety of materials. B50 (Dacron) is one of the materials, and it has a certain amount of stretch to if. That stretch factor is why it's easier on string nocks, but it also contributes to less performance than fast flight. Dyneema (fast flight) is also a material, with less stretch factor than B50 so it produces more speed, but it's also harder on string nocks that aren't reinforced. You can destroy an older bow by shooting it with fast flight.
There are several string materials and blends of materials available. I suspect it's not just a matter of fast flight versus B50. Consult the string maker for exact info on what they offer.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use a high tech string material on an older bow.
Yes, you can use a B50 flemish twist string. Flemish twist refers to style of construction, not to the material. Flemish twist come in a variety of materials. B50 (Dacron) is one of the materials, and it has a certain amount of stretch to if. That stretch factor is why it's easier on string nocks, but it also contributes to less performance than fast flight. Dyneema (fast flight) is also a material, with less stretch factor than B50 so it produces more speed, but it's also harder on string nocks that aren't reinforced. You can destroy an older bow by shooting it with fast flight.
There are several string materials and blends of materials available. I suspect it's not just a matter of fast flight versus B50. Consult the string maker for exact info on what they offer.

Are b55 and b50 the same material? Thanks for putting up with all the elementary level question, ha.

Back