• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Original sand cast lone wolf

BRoth82

SH Member
So I picked up an original lone wild sand cast stand and would like to put a new seat on it and a bat wing so I can flip the seat up while hunting. It looks like the tubing is rectangular not square. My question is will the seat kit in Lone wolf's website fit? What about the bat wing? Or if someone has a seat that would fit, I would trade as well.

The batwing is for 1.25 tubing the sand cast is 1x1.5 so it won’t fit. I’m pretty sure the lone wolf seat is for 1.25 as well but not positive. Guys used to run the v bracket right behind seat and grind teeth off so it wouldn’t catch the seat. The bracket when mounted lines up perfectly with the teeth on platform and seat like used same exact mold. Imo I’d just buy a 1.25 tubing and retrofit a batwing but you’ll have to cut back of seat as the batwing has lower profile than the v bracket.

Please don’t cut that seat! I would fab up new parts to achieve what you want.

I've been down that road, here's what I did to mine. I bought a piece of 1.25" square tubing and made my own seatpost. This way I can use a batwing.
20180310_164910.jpg
Takes a bit of tinkering to figure out exactly where you want the notches, depends on your cable length. Here is my finished product.
20190601_073627.jpg
I don't regret doing it, I enjoy tinkering, but if I would do it again I would buy a new seat from LW and use the old one for a saddle platform. The new one sits you out away from the tree a little more so it's more comfortable. Even if you don't need a platform you can probably sell the old seat for the price of a new one. Back when I did mine I new people hunted from saddles but figured it was something I'd probably never try. Fast forward to this summer and I bought a seat to make myself a platform. You could say I'm hooked.:)

Bottom line...is it worth it? Only you can answer that. Till you get a new post, seat, and cables and spend a bunch of time tinkering with it you could just buy an asault2 and sell me your stand to make 2 saddle platforms.:tonguewink: You won't save much weight by modifying this one anyway.

I think I'm going to keep it the way it is for now and maybe add a new seat post to have an adjustable platform. How do you attach yours to the tree, I'm thinking of using a DIY versa button on both top and bottom. Can you send me more pictures of yours? I also have 3 hawk sticks for mine with the rope mods.

I just use a LW versa button with a cam buckle strap. No reason why diy buttons won't work. I only use 1 strap and kneel on the seat to cam lock the stand but that won't work if you leave the teeth on the seat. If you leave it as is, in my mind I would tighten the strap, push down on the stand, lower the platform, and then lower the seat and that should get it tight? Not sure on that though, never tried it.

Not sure exactly what you want to see so here are a few more shots.
20180415_230818.jpg
20180416_200928.jpg
I made some mounts for stick talons for my sticks. Not where they ended up on the stand, but you can see how I did them. 20180617_143236.jpg

Any more questions just ask. Probably ways to improve on what I did, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

What thickness did you get for the seat post? That and the batwing are about the only things I'd like to do to it. I did add 2 DIY buttons to it and it locks on the tree fairly well. So I might not add the bat wing, but the platform adjustment would be nice.

Also how much para cord and diameter did you need to wrap the entire stand? It looks awesome.

You want .125" thick tubing. If you want to use the seat as is then I don't think you can use a batwing. I believe the seat teeth will stick out past it. If it locks down well as is then you should be ok.

Do you guys know how to shorten the cables on a stand? I like to lower where the cables attach. Right now they're 26" and the ones on the new stands are 22"

Do you guys know how to shorten the cables on a stand? I like to lower where the cables attach. Right now they're 26" and the ones on the new stands are 22"

U can make diy adjustable cables with amsteel whoopie slings without even having slots in the seat post

The whoopie allows u to adjust platform angle

I have an 8.5 lb Assault that I’m gonna do this to & then use a shim to allow mounting a batwing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at my stand a little more over the weekend and saw a number stamped next to where the lone wolf plate is. It's stamped 500 what does that number mean? I'm guessing its a serial number?

Back