• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Over the Center Buckle strap for the platform

ADKMtnTrapper

Good Afternoon!

So i tried to read back to see what is the best set up for an OTC buckle and i am unsure of what you guys came up with? I am going to use my block set up that i posted in the DIY section for the time being.

I see that some have a spot to put in a pin saftey and some dont, i would like on that is light and has that safety feature. I would prefer one that has a 6' strap already sewn to it but i can sew my own if need be.....

Thanks,
ADK

This is the one that I am using. http://boxertiedown.com/wholesale/-c-3_ ... uckle-p-96

This one has the spot to put a pin in if you want to use it. The strap isn't going to be sewn to the buckle, you are going to thread the strap through the buckle. In order to attach it you are going to need a metal hook as seen in this photo. I am using the strap from the original ameristep that still has that hook on in.
10101.jpg

Thanks for the link red, sorry for the delay in response i seemed to have overlooked this!

ADKMtnTrapper said:
Thanks for the link red, sorry for the delay in response i seemed to have overlooked this!

No prob!

Redsquirrel I check that buckle out its 2" is that correct and also they want 18$ for shipping and 4$ for the buckle does that sound right? I tried to pm u but it won't let me. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Re:

ArrowSmith said:
Redsquirrel I check that buckle out its 2" is that correct and also they want 18$ for shipping and 4$ for the buckle does that sound right? I tried to pm u but it won't let me. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Yes, that is the correct size and the shipping sounds about what I paid. It sucked that it was so much for shipping. I bought 4 I think because the shipping didn't really go up much, that way I got more bang for my buck.

I'm using one similar to these.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SeaChoice-512 ... 8/32739314

Had some old ones that the strap popped so I cut all the straps off and sewed one end of a 2in strap on it. That was for my homemade platform steps. I need to make another one for the 1in strap for ameristeps . You can buy them just about anywhere boat stuff is sold. Some are cheaper than others.

swampsnyper said:
I'm using one similar to these.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SeaChoice-512 ... 8/32739314

Had some old ones that the strap popped so I cut all the straps off and sewed one end of a 2in strap on it. That was for my homemade platform steps. I need to make another one for the 1in strap for ameristeps . You can buy them just about anywhere boat stuff is sold. Some are cheaper than others.

How is that working for you? I am happy with how mine works, but I would love to find one that is more compact.

They snap shut tight. I'd say just as tight as a ratchet strap can get. I don't have one like in the link I posted with the longer handle but I'd imagine you could get it even tighter but you sacrifice strap real estate for steps on small trees with a bigger buckle. I've been using them for years on boats and atv tiedowns. They are better than a ratchet strap in my opinion. I have been using them for locons also. I like a 2in strap on them but its hard to find them long enough to use as is on locons for some trees.

Nice. I'm going to have to try one of those. I have one for my boat so I'll take a look. It would be nice to have a smaller buckle. I like 2 inch straps too but I need to use 1 inch for my steps.

DaveT1963 said:
http://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/Overcenter-Buckle-p/fe8265-1.htm

I can't tell if that is the same one I have, but I tried a 1" version similar to that one that didn't work well.

That's what I was afraid of. I bought the larger 2 inch cam over buckle but that things is way to big for me. I am amazed no one has come up with the perfect removable/mobile platform yet. If they would only come out with a totally quiet ratchet strap I would settle for that and 1 Jim Stepp

DaveT1963 said:
That's what I was afraid of. I bought the larger 2 inch cam over buckle but that things is way to big for me. I am amazed no one has come up with the perfect removable/mobile platform yet. If they would only come out with a totally quiet ratchet strap I would settle for that and 1 Jim Stepp

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00144 ... ge_o09_s00

I bought one of these to try out. Much smaller and lighter and meant for a 1 inch strap. It seems great when I tried it out on a tree in my yard. I just got it a few days ago though so I can't endorse it until I test it out some more.

Mind snapping a closer pic of it when you have time, red?

I need to either buy this or a ratchet strap. I'd rather risk $10 on this than a ratchet.

Just happened to have one on my phone :D
The strap that comes with that buckles will not work for a platform though, I had to use my own strap. Again, I think it will work well but haven't thoroughly tested yet.
333d6075702aa3e558a240d6b833403b.jpg

Red I am liking this buckle on the boat strap. What strap are you using? I totally gave up on the over center buckle as it is way to hard to tighten and loosen on the tree (pull the strap through). For now, unless I can find a good strap for this new buckle, I am going back to the ratchet strap as if you use your hand you can almost totally eliminate the sound. This little buckle has promise though if I can find a good strap and if there was one just a tad bigger/stronger.

DaveT1963 said:
Red I am liking this buckle on the boat strap. What strap are you using? I totally gave up on the over center buckle as it is way to hard to tighten and loosen on the tree (pull the strap through). For now, unless I can find a good strap for this new buckle, I am going back to the ratchet strap as if you use your hand you can almost totally eliminate the sound. This little buckle has promise though if I can find a good strap and if there was one just a tad bigger/stronger.

So far I am liking this buckle a lot. It is way smaller, lighter and more compact than the other one. I am using the strap off of one of the plastic ameristeps, I used it with the other buckle as well. I took the buckle off of the strap that it came with and threaded it on to mine. This little buckle is impressive. I have to leave the strap a little loose otherwise I won't be able to get the buckle around to lock it in. As long as I do that though I don't have any trouble tightening or loosening on the tree.

I finally bought two otc buckles and i am having trouble getting mine tight enough on the tree do you guys have any tips to help get it tighter?

Back