• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

PA proposal to require harnesses on SGLs

elk yinzer

SH Member
Curious what saddle hunters think of this proposed rule on State Game Lands and where does it leave saddle hunting if not clarified (not to mention use of climbing and arborist harnesses)?

Proposal: "Any person installing, using or occupying an elevated hunting location, specifically including treestands and other similar devices or platforms shall securely attach their person to the tree, treestand or other similar device or platform using a fall restraint device. For the purposes of this paragraph, a fall restraint device shall mean a full-body safety harness and tether system capable of fully supporting a person’s body weight during a fall event."

Since they specifically define a fall restraint device as a "full-body safety harness", I would interpret that saddle hunting, not to mention my RC harness, would be technically be rendered illegal on SGLs, right? Hopefully this is clarified, but just a heads up to the PA guys, might be worth contacting the PGC.

Other than that I think it's a good rule. Big brother overreach, maybe getting close, but it sends a good message anyway. Would it ever be enforced, probably not. But who knows. Maybe next they'll address the fact that some SGLs are approaching the level of having a permanent stand in every other tree.

Good idea, but no way they could enforce it. I would hunt from my saddle still no doubt. I think if questioned a quick demonstration hanging upside down would be enough to prove you are safe :D

Flinginairos - Agree and there is no chance I will ever go back to a full body, rear tether harness.

Worst case scenario, since 100% of my interactions with Wardens and Deputies have been at roads and parking lots, my concern is that I would be stopped at my truck, some overzealous Deputy wants to see that I have a full body harness, and maybe writes me up because I have my RC harness or saddle. Highly unlikely, yes.

Just as a matter of principle, and in the interest of growing saddle hunting, the rule should be clarified before it is adopted.

I know that’s the rule in Ms and Al for Wma and national forest.
Full body harness is stated and that wouldn’t include a saddle.

For those in a climber or lock on this is a great recommendation, I am not sure I like it as a law. Kinda like the seat belt law. It should 100% be recommended and should be done but for law to tell me I have to is a bit silly to me.

It is another law written by people who don't know what they are talking about. Rock climbing harnesses don't fit into it but they do a pretty good job at saving people during a fall don't they? And that is the standard for their industy.

I encountered this law on Fort Drum, NY.

Full body safety harnesses were required and my Saddle didn't technically fit the bill.

I packed my saddle, drove to the Game Wardens office, and asked him to come outside. No lie. I demonstrated my lineman belt and tether. Afterwards, he changed the regulations to read "Full safety harness or harness style hunting aid". I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts, I was the only one using a "harness style hunting aid" on the entire installation.

Full body safety harnesses were required and my Saddle didn't technically fit the bill.

I packed my saddle, drove to the Game Wardens office, and asked him to come outside. No lie. I demonstrated my lineman belt and tether. Afterwards, he changed the regulations to read "Full safety harness or harness style hunting aid". I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts, I was the only one using a "harness style hunting aid" on the entire installation.
This is a great example. We are a small community, but it may only take a letter or phone call to your representative to change the wording of the proposed regs.

Curious what saddle hunters think of this proposed rule on State Game Lands and where does it leave saddle hunting if not clarified (not to mention use of climbing and arborist harnesses)?

Proposal: "Any person installing, using or occupying an elevated hunting location, specifically including treestands and other similar devices or platforms shall securely attach their person to the tree, treestand or other similar device or platform using a fall restraint device. For the purposes of this paragraph, a fall restraint device shall mean a full-body safety harness and tether system capable of fully supporting a person’s body weight during a fall event."

Since they specifically define a fall restraint device as a "full-body safety harness", I would interpret that saddle hunting, not to mention my RC harness, would be technically be rendered illegal on SGLs, right? Hopefully this is clarified, but just a heads up to the PA guys, might be worth contacting the PGC.

Other than that I think it's a good rule. Big brother overreach, maybe getting close, but it sends a good message anyway. Would it ever be enforced, probably not. But who knows. Maybe next they'll address the fact that some SGLs are approaching the level of having a permanent stand in every other tree.
You could definitely use a Guido's web. That has a built in body harness.

Curious also because I live in Pa. But should not matter because currently using Guido's web. But was strongly considering buying a Kestral for early season.

Tim

Curious also because I live in Pa. But should not matter because currently using Guido's web. But was strongly considering buying a Kestral for early season.

Tim
I don't hunt state game lands for Whitetail if I were you I would still buy the Kestrel I think that Saddles will be included in this it's definitely safer than hunting out of a tree stand. Although I have seen the Game Commission do a lot of stupid things over the years but even if you can't use on state game lands you can still use it on private land.

Also from PA and do hunt state land often enough. I wouldn’t worry about this. I’ve been checked quite a few times and it’s mostly at a vehicle or on a major trail. They don’t have time and are considerate enough (mostly) to be out there walking around the woods ruining people’s hunts trying to find them in a tree. And if they did come across you in a saddle I would be shocked if they fined you.

I didn’t see any value in this at first, but they might just need the ability to enforce it in certain situations. Might just help people get used to using them as part of their routine, and especially help teach kids to start using them. I can’t say I like it, but I guess I get it.

That is awesome!

i think this is a good law as long as its applied correctly. I think its more for the idiots that skip any fall restraint in the ladder stand because its "only" 15ft up. How many stories are we going to hear until people listen and use fall restraint system?

i think this is a good law as long as its applied correctly. I think its more for the idiots that skip any fall restraint in the ladder stand because its "only" 15ft up. How many stories are we going to hear until people listen and use fall restraint system?

Im actually one of those you call an idiot who doesn’t wear a fall resistant in a ladder stand. Only a ladder stand. Though everything else i wear a safety harness. But i am a saddle guy now
Lets try not to get into name calling on here keep it classy. I dont judge anyone on certain choices so noone else should either.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4_gcun8_kLGQWJMDxQtFpQ

Im actually one of those you call an idiot who doesn’t wear a fall resistant in a ladder stand. Only a ladder stand. Though everything else i wear a safety harness. But i am a saddle guy now
Lets try not to get into name calling on here keep it classy. I dont judge anyone on certain choices so noone else should either.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4_gcun8_kLGQWJMDxQtFpQ
I use to teach bowhunter safty course in Pa and I taught the treestand safty part of the course. I had some guys that didn't wear harness and I use to tell them if you don't wear for you wear it for someone you love. Anytime you leave the ground you should always wear a safty harness. Things happen fast and you don't what to be a statistic.

Back