• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Packable wader/hip boot for quick crossings

elk yinzer

SH Member
I saw something in a youtube my kid was watching the other day (THP, maybe? I was preoccupied). Looked like silnylon or similar fabric, made to go over boots for a quick crossing. Piqued my interest immediately. Looked a lot quicker/easier than packing and changing in and out of standard hip boots.

I'm turning up a couple but curious if anyone has tried any of these.

https://fishbrain.com/shop/gear/100...fSOhAO-GxjP5VHUDQnavXXJtq1owURgwaAiOyEALw_wcB

Looks like wiggy's makes a pair. I've never tried wiggy's stuff but it seems to have a bit of a cult following. Wonder if anything about them would be worth the extra $. https://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outerwear/lightweight-waders/

Frog toggs. I've had good luck with some cheapo frogg toggs stuff, I'm a fan - https://www.froggtoggs.com/Rana-Eme...fbKgC3rK_LpxX9o0PO7Qug9XvS30UndcaAiGKEALw_wcB

Durability seems to be the obvious downside. Some of the reviews are comedy gold, people expecting these things to stand up to their boneheaded abuse. But any input as to what would make one pair more slightly more durable than another would be ideal.

Wiggys waders seem to be the best out of the bunch according to the general consensus over on rokslide. There's another version usually called sourdough slippers that people compare them to that are supposed to be a bit more robust, but I think they are now called Neo overshoes (more sole, more weight) and I'm not sure if they make the hip height ones any more.

Last edited:
I bought a set of those cheap Hodgeman this past season. They worked well enough and didn't leak either. They are cheap feeling and probably won't take much abuse but they worked for quick creek crossing. I put them on right at the creek side and took them immediately once I got across. You can roll them up small enough and stash them close by for the return crossing. For $24 they are worth trying.

thanks for bringing up this topic

i have one significant stream crossing by a road to get to public

i've been wearing some cheap hip waders and packing my boots, then i stick the waders in a bag and hide it in a bush and put my boots on to keep going

if i had to walk a ways before crossing water, i'd probably go with those wiggys....if i find a situation like that, then i'll probably buy some

i'd go wiggys because they are pretty well known and THP hunts hard, so them using them is a good endorsement i feel

One thing that makes the Wiggy's price hurt a little less is that you get free shipping.

I have a set of the Wiggys, they work well. Can’t expect to treat them like a dedicated wader so I try to baby them to an extent, but they’ve held up for the quick on/off creek crossings.

Never used the other ones you listed.

I just had a thought...

The painting section of the hardware store has Tyvek oversuits. Might be worth cutting the bottom part off and reinforcing the booties with duct tape or something for an emergency Wiggys alternative on the cheap. Wouldn't take up all that much room.

Just a thought. I've never tried it, but couldn't you punch your boot through a contractor bag and then tight bungee around the ankle? You could loose bungee the thigh. Really all we are trying to do is a quick prevent water from coming over the top the boot.

i really like the looks of the Yoder chaps but just wish I could use my RAT boots instead of the rubber.

I actually got across thigh deep water once in my rubber boots and gortex fishing bibs. I was about a quarter mile from the truck, but to avoid crossing the water would be about a three mile loop back the way I had come from.

I used some paracord I had with me to wrap the cuffs of the bibs and went across. I was surprised how well it worked. A little leakage, but nothing too bad.

Back