• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Packing sticks for saddle hunting.

Tater

Just ordered a Mantis and Predator platform last night. I will be new to saddle hunting. Latest mobile setup has been LW assault and 4 Beast sticks. I have just been using 2 rubber tarp straps to bungee sticks to stand and have molle straps and belt on stand.

So i need to figure out a way to transport sticks and platform now. I have never been much od a pack guy, more minimalist. I have seen some guys lashing sticks to pack on here, but most i have seen appear to be some what floppy and abnle to be snagged on brush. I would prefer to keep them as tight and rigidly packed as possible. Have considered using a molle frame pack for this reason, but not opposed to some sort of small pack if it holds sticks tight and compact.

If there are other good threads i am missing please redirect me. If not i would love to see some pics from those using 3 or 4 sticks to climb.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I’m interested as well. I’m thinking about cutting a backpack as needed for a flat laying setup. Similar equipment, 4 LW sticks

I only hunted a few times with the new mantis. I didn’t have my predator yet. I carried sticks with a rope over the shoulder. Less than perfect for sure.

Cut down lonewolfs with double steps, going to mess around with stick quiver this weekend and see how I can get them to pack together I’ll update some pics

IMG_3061.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Though I am trying to get back into saddle hunting my plan is to use my Gameplan gear full rut pack. Basically if there is shooting light, my bow would be in my hands. If it is dark, my bow will be on my back. My platform would be in my bag.

I'm ditching the backpack/fanny pack I used last year and searching for a Cabelas Tactical Tat'r 2 turkey vest, which will move all the pockets I would want on a backpack to front-side accessibility. There's a game-bag on the back of it that might work for sticks/platform.

But I also figured this out in December and will probably do that for the sticks & platform anyway since I plan to incorporate the movable aider (loop) this year too. Not sure I can get more minimal than "every part of the stick-carrying rig is used in climbing"

I have a video on my you tube that shows how I carry my sticks. My platform and saddle go into my fleece backpack and sticks attach to it with simple paracord solution. Sometimes a simple solution works best?

I'm ditching the backpack/fanny pack I used last year and searching for a Cabelas Tactical Tat'r 2 turkey vest, which will move all the pockets I would want on a backpack to front-side accessibility. There's a game-bag on the back of it that might work for sticks/platform.

But I also figured this out in December and will probably do that for the sticks & platform anyway since I plan to incorporate the movable aider (loop) this year too. Not sure I can get more minimal than "every part of the stick-carrying rig is used in climbing"

When I hunted with my mantis or kestrel last year I used a turkey pack as someone on this site suggested. It worked very well for sticks platform and organization

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Sticks suck!!!!!! Especially if you start trying to use a fourth and fifth one. Everything gets real clumsy in a hurry. Not to mention you start to get to a weight where its hard to manage with out some type of frame. However, I primarily use them due to not being able to use spurs or screw in steps. This year I went back to three sticks and a 5 step aider. Put my platform in the back pack along with my filming gear and sling the steps over my shoulder/neck with the aider. It was about the easiest and quietest way to do it for me.

Yup I used 3 sticks and a long aider too last year. I hate the noise from sticks, I hate carrying sticks, I hate carrying them up the tree. But I do like climbing on them. One stick will be practiced this year - less noise, and less to pack up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Put this together this evening. Im used to carrying my 4 sticks on a LW assault 2. So this frame does not seem terribly bulky to me. I will probably still give some kind of pack a try.
a073af43ff7cebc4a85524f8393e6534.jpg
c2004d8c0208acd3a3ff5f0b2d7e0e89.jpg
42c06680ebdf064313e3b7f2e5724bfd.jpg

When I hunted with my mantis or kestrel last year I used a turkey pack as someone on this site suggested. It worked very well for sticks platform and organization

When you say Turkey pack do you have a make or brand, and model of the pack your are talking about? Pictures?

Any pack with some gear straps on the outside will work. I have carried my 4 beast sticks with aiders no problem. I have been using badlands superday pack. They have several models with the same straps across the back to tighten sticks too. Also able to put platform inside.

Attachments

• B8811FFB-4E1A-4E9A-8005-426188CEEAB1.jpeg
    B8811FFB-4E1A-4E9A-8005-426188CEEAB1.jpeg
    506.8 KB · Views: 224
I used a extra linesman’s rope and some bungees last year for my 3 hawk helium’s and my platform. Worked well and made it up the tree in one. Lines rope was used to hold the whole system together and and then also held onto the platform at the end.

I used a extra linesman’s rope and some bungees last year for my 3 hawk helium’s and my platform. Worked well and made it up the tree in one. Lines rope was used to hold the whole system together and and then also held onto the platform at the end.
Do you have any pics of this?

Looking forward to it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I can make a video on this and how I go up in one. This is just an extra linesman’s rope, two tent bungees, and a short bungee.

Attachments

• CEAA5B56-F85E-4A4F-BFBB-1523E287805D.jpeg
    CEAA5B56-F85E-4A4F-BFBB-1523E287805D.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 252
Back