• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Video on how I one stick

Cain

ok guys ive been wanting to put this video up for a few weeks now. I first saw Cbigbear climb with one stick on YouTube so I decided to give it a try. I liked it ok but hanging in a rock climbing harness was not that comfortable to me. I think I hunted using this method twice and finally gave up on it. What I did like was the weight of just one stick.
After all of this light weight equipment that is being made , I decided to give one stickin another try. This time I would try it with a saddle. I found that I absolutely love climbing this way. It kinda puts the fun of saddle hunting into climbing. In this video I’m not trying to be quite or quick. It’s just for instructions on how I do it. I did however time myself the other day and I was at 19 ft in 2 minutes and 10 seconds. This is not set up time, just the top of my stick was at 19 ft. I also timed my self coming down and it was exactly 2 minutes and 10 seconds. I know this is not a race, just wanted to let yaw know how fast it could be done.

Very good! Just consider your video explaining everything took under 9 and a half minutes, in actual hunting situation it will be at least that good or better!

@Cain This is the first video I've seen that makes the one stick method appear viable. You made it look quick and easy. Will definitely be trying this.

What kind of aider are you using?
It’s actually a strap that comes with an ameristep step. I like it because it is a litttle more rigid than my tubular webbing and it stays open so I don’t have to fish around for it much to get my foot in it. I just tied it onto the stick with water knots.

Great video ill def try this out once my mantis arrives
Yea this method with the Mantis or Kestrel is going to be awesome. Sometimes with the sit drag it feels like you might slip out of it. That’s why I had on a rock climbing harness.

@Cain, Once again you've outdone yourself. I tried one sticking for a while and found it very cumbersome but I really like this approach. I'm definitely going to have to revisit it.

@Cain, Once again you've outdone yourself. I tried one sticking for a while and found it very cumbersome but I really like this approach. I'm definitely going to have to revisit it.
Thanks, I was the same as you. The saddle is the ticket. When my saddle and platform arrives I plan to do a complete video with my setup. If you set your platform just above your aider, you can climb onto your platform and then slide your stick over and hang your back pack or whatever from it. Multipurpose.

Yea this method with the Mantis or Kestrel is going to be awesome. Sometimes with the sit drag it feels like you might slip out of it. That’s why I had on a rock climbing harness.

I really like this too...sometimes i need a rest and i trust my tether much more than anything else

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cain, awesome video! I have been hunting exactly this way for the last 2 seasons. I use a modified 2 step lone wolf with a 2 step aider. I like the two step aider for a faster descend but you need a bigger slack in your tether which could be painfull if you slip off the top of your stick. Practice is the key to speed with this stuff.

Oh hey guys I forgot to mention this in the video, but I average 3.5 ft. with every move. So I set the top of my stick from the ground at 5 ft. My first move gets me 8.5 ft, 2nd is 12ft.,3rd is 15.5ft., 4th is 19ft., 5th is 22.5 ft.

ok guys ive been wanting to put this video up for a few weeks now. I first saw Cbigbear climb with one stick on YouTube so I decided to give it a try. I liked it ok but hanging in a rock climbing harness was not that comfortable to me. I think I hunted using this method twice and finally gave up on it. What I did like was the weight of just one stick.
After all of this light weight equipment that is being made , I decided to give one stickin another try. This time I would try it with a saddle. I found that I absolutely love climbing this way. It kinda puts the fun of saddle hunting into climbing. In this video I’m not trying to be quite or quick. It’s just for instructions on how I do it. I did however time myself the other day and I was at 19 ft in 2 minutes and 10 seconds. This is not set up time, just the top of my stick was at 19 ft. I also timed my self coming down and it was exactly 2 minutes and 10 seconds. I know this is not a race, just wanted to let yaw know how fast it could be done.
Great video brother. Might want to add some type of edge protection on the top of your stick. Just so you don't cut your tether up any. Fireman coming out in me. Keep the wheels still and be safe if you gotta roll em.

Great video brother. Might want to add some type of edge protection on the top of your stick. Just so you don't cut your tether up any. Fireman coming out in me. Keep the wheels still and be safe if you gotta roll em.
I could see how that could be an issue, but the rope rest between the steps and it’s kinda rounded. I’ll keep an eye on my rope throughout the next year. Good eye. Thanks. We’re gonna try to keep it quiet at the FD tonight.

Very well done Cain. I haven't felt like this would be that efficient for me every time I've seen other guys do it, you however have made me want to give it a try. Great explanation and demonstration for sure!

Love the idea. How would you work around limbs and still stay connected? Linemans belt maybe?

I need to get myself a muddy pro stick after seeing this. That is very slick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

Back