• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules
Status
Not open for further replies.

DelaWhere_Arrow

SH Member
This thread got me thinking:
I have had these fatigues since my first season, and I found them at a flea market for $8. The person selling them knew nothing about their origin, but an old-timer who served in Vietnam believes they may be from that particular war. My questions are: based on the pictures I’m posting below, can anyone tell me what the patches mean? Can anyone tell me with relatively high certainty if and when this shirt may have seen action? Any other interesting tidbits? Thanks in advance, and thank you for your service!
019E0A52-3814-4EC2-98F1-9808DB70E596.jpeg019E0A52-3814-4EC2-98F1-9808DB70E596.jpeg8A5F5CEF-03E5-4114-8DC5-45507355C945.jpegC53C2F16-4743-45AC-848B-25614D434842.jpeg04241441-DB6F-4C09-93F5-EDE2BA955DE3.jpeg10312984-AAA4-49C6-817B-51060075C594.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll let the army guys tell ya what each patch means but my advice is.... TAKE THE PATCHES OFF. If you haven't served in those units, earned the rank or wings, then you don't rate to wear the patches and tabs. Even if you served, you shouldn't wear patches/tabs for units you were never assigned to.

The patch with the 3/4 little squares is a warrant officer, wings is a pilot. Patch with cross sword and mountain tab is 10th mountain division in fort drum New York. The horse patch is 1st cavalry division in fort hood Texas.
Thanks for responding with that info! Unfortunately I have requested to close this thread as I don’t wish to be offensive or perceived as a poser. I appreciate the info.

I don't think you're going to piss anyone off. You're educated now and you acted on the new information with honor. I'm satisfied :)
I appreciate that, sir. I just don’t want to cause any problems over a shirt. I’ll keep it in a cozy place over my hunting dresser.

No worries here man. Those woodland camo’s are post Vietnam, called BDU(battle dress uniform) I believe they were phased out late 90’s, early 2000’s. Not sure on the eagle with the wreath those. Certainly interesting!! Thanks for sharing that!!

No worries here man. Those woodland camo’s are post Vietnam, called BDU(battle dress uniform) I believe they were phased out late 90’s, early 2000’s. Not sure on the eagle with the wreath those. Certainly interesting!! Thanks for sharing that!!
Wish it had been under more knowledgeable circumstances on my part. Thanks for your info!

I have a few contacts who have been in the army with George Washington(just a couple of years lol) and I’ll let you know what the other insignia is if they know if we haven’t found out by then

I don't think the service man who wore the shirt would care at all if you wear it now, especially if your not trying to be disrespectful to service and country.
I tend to agree, but semantically I think @ThomasHemlock is correct; I should probably just honor it from the coat hanger, or remove the stitching carefully before wearing it, regardless of my intentions.

The first two are the rank of Chief Warrant Officer - the 4 black squares means CWO4 - there are 5 levels of CWO ranks.
I believe the wings with encircled star is for pilots - often times CWO were helicopter pilots I believe.
The Mountain and 2 crossed swords are for the 10th Mountain division.
The shoulder patch with the bar and horse is for the 1st Calvary division.

From my experience and training I didn't think any uniforms were supposed to be sold/given away with patches intact. When I was enlisted it was more of a security concern but I don't think that's a valid reason today as it would be super easy to buy everything necessary to make a perfect replica if someone intended to impersonate someone in any branch of the military. In my opinion it's more of an honor thing - those that served earned the right to wear the uniform. I personally was in the Army(reserves) and I would have the patches removed before I wore my old BDUs in public - it's quite easy and will not leave any noticeable signs on the BDUs themselves. Many veterans won't care but there are certainly those who would.

FWIW- my CWO was the coolest old guy and probably one of the best mentors I had in the army. Plus the rank comes with the coolest nickname - Chief. :)

The first two are the rank of Chief Warrant Officer - the 4 black squares means CWO4 - there are 5 levels of CWO ranks.
I believe the wings with encircled star is for pilots - often times CWO were helicopter pilots I believe.
The Mountain and 2 crossed swords are for the 10th Mountain division.
The shoulder patch with the bar and horse is for the 1st Calvary division.

From my experience and training I didn't think any uniforms were supposed to be sold/given away with patches intact. When I was enlisted it was more of a security concern but I don't think that's a valid reason today as it would be super easy to buy everything necessary to make a perfect replica if someone intended to impersonate someone in any branch of the military. In my opinion it's more of an honor thing - those that served earned the right to wear the uniform. I personally was in the Army(reserves) and I would have the patches removed before I wore my old BDUs in public - it's quite easy and will not leave any noticeable signs on the BDUs themselves. Many veterans won't care but there are certainly those who would.

FWIW- my CWO was the coolest old guy and probably one of the best mentors I had in the army. Plus the rank comes with the coolest nickname - Chief. :)
Thank you for the info and for addressing the concerns of valor. I would never and have never pretended to be a vet, but I have the utmost respect for y’all and only wish to show that. I do not wish to be a poser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back