• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Perfect hunting kayak

Nutterbuster

SH Member
I'm going to start with a little ramblin' backstory, bear with me. :)

The Mobile-Tensaw River Delta has been a prominent figure in my life for as long as I can remember. As a small kid driving back and forth across I-10 to visit my grandparents, I used to peer out the window at the seemingly endless swamp and fantasize about running away Huck Finn style and living off of wild game. In college, I started hunting it, gradually exploring deeper and deeper into the backwaters and islands. First by foot, then with waders (or swimming!), and then with a collection of small boats.

I have killed a good percentage of my game with the aid of of pirogues, canoes, kayaks, and jon boats. Between paddling for exercise, camping, fishing, and hunting, I have probably been on the water almost every week for the past 7 years. There have been periods where I was out every single day for several weeks at a time. My love for the delta is apparently contagious, because I was able last year to convince my wife that we should purchase a home on a bluff overlooking it; a home that we found while navigating the 50 mile Bartram Canoe Trail!

My love of all things outdoors also led me to pick up a part time job while I was in college at a sporting goods store. I was enthusiastic enough that they eventually promoted me to department manager, and I got to see first hand the explosion of kayaking popularity that has swept the nation. I spent 5 years helping people buy kayaks and canoes, and have established friendships with many of the customers and coworkers that I sold boats to. I moved on to greener pastures, but I still miss that job.

I say all this because I have an unpopular opinion when it comes to hunting kayaks, and would like to emphasize that while it is contrarian, it is at least informed.

Long story short, sit-on kayaks are terrible for hunting.

In my mind, it's kind of like the saddle vs treestand debate. Treestands (and sit-ons) are definitely the norm for hunters, and have a lot of marketing behind them. They're the "normal" and "safe" choice. Lots of glossy magazine pictures and "celebrities" using them. And there are definitely more options for a sit-on paddler, with lots of snazzy battleships sporting camoesque colors, gun racks, and trolling motor mounts. People say they are roomier, more comfortable, and safer.

But folks say the same thing about their summit.

My opinion after having spent countless hours in and around kayaks is that sit-ons are unacceptably heavy, cumbersome, slow, and expensive for what they are. A sit-on is not safer than a sit-in, and the supposed stability advantage is overstated.

Some of the same advantages that make a saddle a better choice for the mobile hunter make a sit-in kayak a much better option. Namely, a sit-in is ridiculously lightweight and can function in places a sit-on cannot. It also offers a much lower profile, which is good for stealth. And it is easier to hunt further back in a sit-in than a sit-on, just like it is easier to hunt further back in a saddle than a treestand.

A run-of-the mill sit-on kayak is going to weigh right in the neighborhood of 80-100lbs. The cheaper models made from thinner polyethylene are going to be a few pounds lighter, and some of the more heavy-duty models with lots of accessories and fancy seats are going to push into the 120+lb range. They are also going to have an average width of 33-41" at the widest part of the hull, which is generally right at your hips.

Contrast this to my "main squeeze" kayak, a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120. A 2019 Pungo weighs only 49lbs, and some of that weight is in the "cockpit tray" that can and should be removed. 45-55lbs is pretty much the average for a 12ft sit-in. And at 29" wide, my pungo (and sit-ins in general) is substantially narrower.

A lighter weight kayak is a huge advantage for several reasons.

1. It is drastically easier to load, unload, and carry. I can cartop a sit-in effortlessly in one swift movement, and carry it rested on one shoulder with ease. Every sit-in owner I have paddled with has required assistance or a mechanical aid to handle his boat, or been winded and sweaty by the time he had wrestled it into place.
  2. It is easier to get to small, remote waters. I frequently launch my kayaks in places that are definitely not boat ramps or kayak launches. Many places require me to lower the boat down a 6-10ft creek bank, stern first with a long rope, and then scramble down with my gear. I also frequently cannot park my vehicle on the bank, and have to tote my boat a long way over logs, cypress knees, and swampy ground. Doing this with a 100lb boat would be exhausting, impractical, and not at all fun. Loading and launching my kayak is a complete non-issue, vs the hassle of loading a sit-on or hooking up a trailer and going through the checklist a boat requires. This means I can, and will, go for long stretches using it every weekend. My experience is that sit-ons spend a lot of time just sitting-on a garage floor, sawhorses, or a trailer because they are a PITA to load.
  3. A lighter boat, everything else being equal, is faster on the water. In addition, a narrower boat is easier to paddle and faster. Imagine sitting in the middle of a typical 14ft, flat-bottom jon and trying to paddle it like a kayak. You would need an incredibly long paddle, and would get tired very quickly and generate very little power due to the mechanical disadvantage. A sit-on is obviously not as bad, but I will say I have never lost a race to a sit-on kayak. I can cover in a half day routes that my sit-on buddies need an overnighted to traverse. This means I can hunt places that most are not willing/able to access in their boats. I see this frequently out duck hunting. There will be lots of kayaks within a mile of the boat ramp, and hardly any 2 miles out.
A sit-in also let's you sit at or below the waterline. This not only gives you a low and stable center of gravity (making you incredibly "tip-proof" on the water), but also allows for a lower profile on the water. While not a huge advantage for the typical deer hunter, it is a huge advantage for a waterfowler. I can actually stick my feet all the way down in the bow of my kayak and lay my head on the seat like a pillow. This let's me cruise under downed trees that would stop most paddlers. As long as the top of my cockpit will clear, I can get through! And once I slip back into those undisturbed stretches of creek and bayou, I can keep a low profile while I float shoot wood ducks.

As far as the supposed 3 big disadvantages of a sit-in; stability, capacity, and safety...they're all a non-issue for the typical saddle hunter.

On the water a sit-in is more stable due to the low center of gravity. Most people flip getting in and out. I promise you, if you can sit on a bed and swing your feet up onto it, you can get in a sit-in and never worry about flipping it. Load your butt first!

Capacity is also a non-issue. My gear consists of a backpack and a weapon. Both if these fit in a well thought out sit-in with room to spare for a cut-up deer. If you can't cut them up, buy a canoe. It will be lighter, narrower, and more spacious than a sit-on, and be faster to boot.

And finally, safety. I have heard it repeated ad nauseam that sit-ons are safer due to their air tight design and scupper holes. I would point out that in the event of a man-overboard situation, a polyethelyne boat is naturally buoyant, and contains additional flotation to keep it from sinking. Re-entry is usually as simple as flipping the boat and crawling in over the bow so as not to flip the boat again on it's short axis. If you flip it carefully, you shouldn't fill the cockpit with water. If you do, it is true you'll have to bail it out. However, this is a fair tradeoff given the difficulty of flipping a 100lb sit-on boat while treading water!

I know a lot of guys like their sit-ons, and kill deer out of them. My dad likes his summits, and kills deer out of those too! But if you like to hunt lighter, faster, and deeper, a sit-in makes sense like a saddle does!

For the visually inclined, here's a video of me going over my very simple (and dirty, shame on me) kayak, as well as loading, unloading, and shouldering it. I hope this helps anyone looking at adding a kayak to their list of hunting tools.

Great points made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Great info, @Nutterbuster! Timely for me as I’m looking to purchase one, however, mostly for fishing. I have low back problems and the sit in I used really hurt. I was considering a sit on mostly because of a better seat. I hate the weight, though. Any recommendations for a sit in fishing kayak with a good seat?
Thanks so much!
Great video!

Great info, @Nutterbuster! Timely for me as I’m looking to purchase one, however, mostly for fishing. I have low back problems and the sit in I used really hurt. I was considering a sit on mostly because of a better seat. I hate the weight, though. Any recommendations for a sit in fishing kayak with a good seat?
Thanks so much!
Great video!
Both types can be found with good seats, but the very wide deck does provide an advantage if you stand up to cast.

Really, any kayak that you like the seat and hull on can be outfitted as a fishing boat. It's 90% marketing that makes the difference between a rec and fishing boat.

Wilderness Systems has always had a very comfortable seat for me. It may take a while to adjust it to your liking, but I can stay in mine all day. I know a guy who is in his 70s and still paddles in an Ascend kayak I believe. That might be one to check out as well.

@Freepistol in my opinion sit on tops or the hybrids are where it’s at for fishing especially in the salt. In a small creeks the sit ins are probably better.
@Nutterbuster have you looked at Native’s ultimate 12 and 14.5. I’ve paddled a few miles in one and I think it has a lot to offer. More a hybrid between a sit in and canoe than an sot. Sit ins do seem much easier to paddle and there isn’t any need to stand and stretch when hunting. A sit in is a little drier but anytime you get in a kayak getting wet somewhere is the norm not the exception.

@Freepistol in my opinion sit on tops or the hybrids are where it’s at for fishing especially in the salt. In a small creeks the sit ins are probably better.
@Nutterbuster have you looked at Native’s ultimate 12 and 14.5. I’ve paddled a few miles in one and I think it has a lot to offer. More a hybrid between a sit in and canoe than an sot. Sit ins do seem much easier to paddle and there isn’t any need to stand and stretch when hunting. A sit in is a little drier but anytime you get in a kayak getting wet somewhere is the norm not the exception.
I have looked at them, but never ridden in one. The specs on it are pretty much what I look for in a boat. I had to patch my pungo this season, which broke my heart. When it gives up the ghost I'll probably get a light canoe, but I have considered a new Loon or the Native ultimate.

I have killed a good percentage of my game with the aid of of pirogues, canoes, kayaks, and jon boats.

Great video and post! One question, which I didn't see you post, what's your preferred method to get a deer out with your kayak? Have you tried different methods, and if so, what is your opinion of each?

@KelvinM12, the best and easiest option is cutting them up and distributing the meat between the bow and stern of the boat, or directly behind the seat.

2nd best is going back and getting a buddy and the canoe/jonboat. That's how I got my 8 point out the year before last.

3rd best is dragging them back. This is usually a something-show. I've strapped my life jacket around them, and they float, but get hung up on everything and just feel like dragging an anchor behind you. I towed one out on an inner tube, and it wasn't much better. Jet sleds and other devices are just too much to fool with, since I don't bring back game every time.

4th best is laying a gut-shot sow in your lap while you try to cross open water in a 10ft Wal-Mart special. Don't ask. I'm way too sober to tell that story the way it should be told. ;)

Ive had to cross open water in my canoe w/ 200# of fresh fish in it with a stiff head wind. A little iffy for awhile. Ive thought about dragging a cheap yak along for game or fish.

JibberJabber.......

You missed the single greatest thing a SOT has going for it.....a snake that drops off a limb onto it can be dealt with MUCH easier than in a canoe or a sit in kayak
TREE SNAKES!!
7ef41b390eeacf45ea7cd7f3a382fffc.jpg
31727a2d63f6198c57fc0bdc74ec13d1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm going to be that guy and introduce a 3rd option I find has the benefits of both. A pack canoe, or a high end single canoe Something like a Hornbeck Nomad(14' at like 22lbs), adironadack canoe co, bell, raddison (sports pal),or swift. They are light weight, have high load capacities, are super light, are easy to get in and out of like a sit on top. I find they are the most versatile in the changing conditions we hunt in....and...
JibberJabber.......

You missed the single greatest thing a SOT has going for it.....a snake that drops off a limb onto it can be dealt with MUCH easier than in a canoe or a sit in kayak
I had a moccasin comeacross.the deck of my 6' whitewater kayak once, straight across my spray skirt. I hate snakes.....I hate swimming snakes even more.in fact I just threw up in my mouth a little thinking about that event again....man, I'll probably have nightmares now. You guys suck.

I’m debating between primarily an 11’ flat transom canoe, or the ascend 10t sit on top.

I had been thinking of doing my own out of foam several months ago (kind of a 10’ nucanoe clone), but I just can’t find the time right now for projects.

I’ve got one of each and like em both for specific things. I agree for long paddles and open water fishing that sit-ins are better. However, for floating small creeks and rivers I really like my shorter Sit-on. It’s so easy to hop in and out and pull it over gravel bars, ledges, trees, etc. The creeks around here are often shallow and have tons of blow downs fo during a 3 hour float you may be getting out of the kayak dozens of times.
I also think that it’s easier to fly fish out of a Sit-On because it gets you up a little bit higher.

I’ve not hunted out of either so I’ve got no comments there.

80 to 100 lbs for a 1 person boat is nuts!! I have a 16 ft Old town canoe that weighs 87lbs but has 1550lb weight capacity and is 40 inches wide! I can take the whole neighborhood camping!! But I don't live in a neighborhood...

80 to 100 lbs for a 1 person boat is nuts!! I have a 16 ft Old town canoe that weighs 87lbs but has 1550lb weight capacity and is 40 inches wide! I can take the whole neighborhood camping!! But I don't live in a neighborhood...
Yes it is! I'm with @Vtbow in that light canoes pack a lot of value, but the current market has way more kayaks available than canoes, and the prices are better.

But even my warhorse Grumman is lighter than most sit-on kayaks, and MUCH easier to cartop/carry due to it's narrower width and carrying yoke. And it holds 2 hunters, gear, and a deer no-problem
cd0566b824e54bece67ac412e6052056.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back