• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform suggestion

UMICH1

Ok, I’m using a Wild Edge platform and I noticed I primarily stay on the step right in front of me most of the time. So I’m thinking I would prefer a platform. I have a Mantis on order (ughhhhhhh, lol) and thought about the Predator. I’ve heard of some noise issues so not sure if I should wait until the bugs are worked out. Should I be concerned? I’m a newbie so any suggestions for a platform would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would tell you there is a little noise. I assume that will eventually worked out in the manufacturing process. The one I have is pretty quiet from first couple of sits with it

Have you thought of putting a platform in the wild edge step to see be sure if you want to use a platform?

Looks awesome, do you have any other pictures of this platform? How is it attached to the step?
Once the step is cammed over the platform it is slid into place, at an angle. It rests on the crossbar but is under the 2 angled tree stand-offs. Very easy to slide in, but holds in place nicely. The other option is drilling 2 holes and sliding it onto the step prior to attaching to the tree(see below). I prefer the slide in.
step.JPG

Once the step is cammed over the platform it is slid into place, at an angle. It rests on the crossbar but is under the 2 angled tree stand-offs. Very easy to slide in, but holds in place nicely. The other option is drilling 2 holes and sliding it onto the step prior to attaching to the tree(see below). I prefer the slide in.
View attachment 7080
Looks pretty slick! I haven't seen the slide in method yet. That seems like a great option because you dont need to fiddle with the hole style platform up in a tree.

What keeps it from sliding out during the hunt? Just pressure or do you secure it to the step?

It is held by its own resistance, when you slide it in at an angle and it settles on the bar you would have to tug it hard to pull it out, and with any weight on it, it will not come out

I disassembled the predator as soon as it arrived and waxed everything with and left a liberal amount of wax in the bolt hole. I also added a piece if plastic where the adjustment bolt hits and wrapped the beam with camo form. Not a squeak, pop, or creek yet. My muck boots do catch the platform some like one of the bars fits between the lugs on the boot. That makes a thud sound when I move at times. It’s silent with my lacrosses but they aren’t close to as comfortable as the mucks.

I disassembled the predator as soon as it arrived and waxed everything with and left a liberal amount of wax in the bolt hole. I also added a piece if plastic where the adjustment bolt hits and wrapped the beam with camo form. Not a squeak, pop, or creek yet. My muck boots do catch the platform some like one of the bars fits between the lugs on the boot. That makes a thud sound when I move at times. It’s silent with my lacrosses but they aren’t close to as comfortable as the mucks.
I've noticed a trend that any of my boots that have neoprene uppers like the Muck tend to squeak more on the platform than my all rubber boots. I don't know if the sole rubber composition is different on the neoprenes but I've noticed it consistently even on boots from different manufacturers.

I've noticed a trend that any of my boots that have neoprene uppers like the Muck tend to squeak more on the platform than my all rubber boots. I don't know if the sole rubber composition is different on the neoprenes but I've noticed it consistently even on boots from different manufacturers.
That’s an interesting observation. I know my lacrosse are the nwtf version of the grange. They don’t really have lugs. I haven’t noticed the squeaking as much as the lugs on the mucks seem to grab the platform like the strips of aluminum have went between the lugs. It makes it difficult to turn for a weak side shot. The lacrosse aren’t as comfortable because of a lack of arch support. They fit like a freaking wet suit but don’t have the support. It’s funny how much arch support effects hip pinch and back pain as much as foot comfort.

Cut an arch at the tree side to allow the closest fit to the tree without touching the bark. it's not shown in my rough out, but you can see it in the finished photo above.
I'm making one tonight, thanks for the measurements.

Anyone out there have suggestions on what type of material to use for silencing the platform. Do you like what you used or would you rather have something else?

So how is the infield trails going? If this works I would think this would be a great option for presets..... 10 steps and 1 platform would allow ten trees to be preset.

So how is the infield trails going? If this works I would think this would be a great option for presets..... 10 steps and 1 platform would allow ten trees to be preset.

Overall I'm impressed with the platform. The key is a really solid cam over prior to standing on it. If it doesn't pull away when you climb on, it will remain solid thru the hunt. My longest hunt on it has been 11 Hrs, and no problems. I'm liking your idea of using it for presets. I have 8 steps and if i use them all as platform presets and change my style of climb that might really give me more hunt options.

Back