• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Point system for out of state hunts

Mschmeiske

SH Member
So I’ve been thinking about buying points for Iowa or somewhere, I’m just curious if someone could explain how it works? Do more points increase your odds of a draw? If you apply and aren’t drawn, do you lose your points or keep them for next year, etc….
Thanks in advance! Hope all is well.

There are two general types of points:

Preference points - the highest point holders get the tags. It is a queue and you wait in line to get a tag. I believe Iowa operates under this system.

Bonus points - There is a draw for the tags and you accumulate more "chances" the more years you apply. Some are 1:1 accumulation others accumulate them diffferently.

Some states operate under a hybrid of the two systems, while some also incorporate a randomized draw component into their draw. NM and ID are random draws, no points.

Look at what area you want to hunt and see how many points it takes to draw that area. Buy a point every year until you get to the desired level and then apply for that area. You can only buy one point a year. You get a point if you apply and don’t draw. There is also point creep to take into consideration. So if it takes 4 years this year, it could possibly take more in the following years.
This information is only valuable if you’re a normal guy trying to get a tag, if you’re a “hunting personality” with a YouTube channel and will promote their public land to draw in more hunters to bring in more cash the state will give you a tag with 0 points.

I honestly don’t know much about this stuff. I called Iowa and the lady told me not to waste my time or money buying a tag. Just buy a preference point because she told it takes 4-5 in most places in Iowa. You need to watch because you can only buy preference points so often in a year. Iowa currently has theirs on sale, I bought mine yesterday! I’m not much help, sorry! Definitely following this thread.

I honestly don’t know much about this stuff. I called Iowa and the lady told me not to waste my time or money buying a tag. Just buy a preference point because she told it takes 4-5 in most places in Iowa. You need to watch because you can only buy preference points so often in a year. Iowa currently has theirs on sale, I bought mine yesterday! I’m not much help, sorry! Definitely following this thread.

I figured it would be some years before it happens, so I should start now!

what do most of you look at when picking an area? Low hunter density? lots of big bucks taken in an area? More public here or there?

I figured it would be some years before it happens, so I should start now!

what do most of you look at when picking an area? Low hunter density? lots of big bucks taken in an area? More public here or there?
Yes sir! Gotta start now, doesn’t hurt to start more than one state too. If a little extra money here an there isn’t the end of the world. Crazy to think you’ll have 60$ a point in Iowa and that’s before you can even really think about drawing.
I’m from Ohio and have only done a couple out of state hunts. I look for somewhere where I feel like it’s hard to get too. Public land is werid man. You gotta think you’re biggest thing is dealing with people honestly. The hike in as far as possible normally does help though. The only guys that go far are the dedicated guys. For instance an area I hunt in kentucky has a huge ravine halfway through the property and 90% of other hunters don’t cross it because getting a deer out unless you’re packing it out would be insanely hard. Hopefully someone with more out of state experience will chime in here soon!

I look for places that give me a nearby Option for a second, third,fourth spot that you maybe need to go to if you’re first few spots either don’t pan out or someone else is already there.

i honestly don’t look at buck harvest numbers maybe I should!

Diddo to what @roosterstraw said. I have been going to Iowa for years.
It now takes 4 to 5 points to get drawn depending on the area.
Last hunt was in 2019. Since I just pulled a point I will not apply until 2024 with 4 point. Very little chance that I will get drawn.
Some public is hunted more then others. Most people look for large areas and some small areas are over looked. Their is a document on the site that gives you the number of points it took to draw in each area last year.

Look at what area you want to hunt and see how many points it takes to draw that area. Buy a point every year until you get to the desired level and then apply for that area. You can only buy one point a year. You get a point if you apply and don’t draw. There is also point creep to take into consideration. So if it takes 4 years this year, it could possibly take more in the following years.
This information is only valuable if you’re a normal guy trying to get a tag, if you’re a “hunting personality” with a YouTube channel and will promote their public land to draw in more hunters to bring in more cash the state will give you a tag with 0 points.
I always figured stuff like that went on. It sure seems odd the way they get to hunt certain places.

Iowa points are $64 each. The best zones require an absolute minimum of 3 points...some zones will have a few tags drawn by holders of 3 points but 4 is more realistic and 5 is pretty much a guarantee.
So 64x4=256. Add that onto an already expensive license and you are looking at nearly $900 for a whitetail tag.
You could apply for a tag with minimal points and most likely not be drawn. In such cases, you are automatically awarded a point...you don't get a full refund. You'd be out $64 but you'd get a point.
When a NR applies for an Iowa tag, you must apply to hunt a specific zone. You can't hunt statewide.

Iowa points are $64 each. The best zones require an absolute minimum of 3 points...some zones will have a few tags drawn by holders of 3 points but 4 is more realistic and 5 is pretty much a guarantee.
So 64x4=256. Add that onto an already expensive license and you are looking at nearly $900 for a whitetail tag.
You could apply for a tag with minimal points and most likely not be drawn. In such cases, you are automatically awarded a point...you don't get a full refund. You'd be out $64 but you'd get a point.
When a NR applies for an Iowa tag, you must apply to hunt a specific zone. You can't hunt statewide.
Yeah, I'm out on that cost. Sad part is I actually have access to some pretty good private up there too.

Iowa is a true preference point state so that means most points get the tags...The most desired units in Southern Iowa currently take 5 points to be 100% in the draw but most will draw with 4 points. If your just now buying your first point this year I'd plan needing at a minimum 6 maybe even 7 before you can draw with the way point creep has been going in all the draw states.

Here are last years draw odds for Iowa.
https://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/nrd_draw.pdf

Iowa is a true preference point state so that means most points get the tags...The most desired units in Southern Iowa currently take 5 points to be 100% in the draw but most will draw with 4 points. If your just now buying your first point this year I'd plan needing at a minimum 6 maybe even 7 before you can draw with the way point creep has been going in all the draw states.

Here are last years draw odds for Iowa.
https://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/nrd_draw.pdf
What do you mean by point creep? Thanks!

What do you mean by point creep? Thanks!
10 years ago, you could draw in any zone with just 2 points. Then it creeped up to 3 then 4.
I have theories on the reason for point creep.
I think a lot of guys had multiple points purchased from when they cost only $10 and they started using them up. Is it possible that there was a lot of competition for tags from guys applying with 5 to 7 points? Will that "flood" of applicants start to dwindle down? So far that doesn't seem to be happening. But the PRICE for a point has creeped up little by little (or a lot by a lot!) until they now cost $64. When they were only $10, everybody could afford buying a point EVERY year. But I gotta think there are fewer people spending $64 for 4 to 7 years in order to buy an already outrageously priced tag. In this "brandon" economy, who has $1,000 just to buy a deer tag?
Will point creep start swinging the other way?? Time will tell.

10 years ago, you could draw in any zone with just 2 points. Then it creeped up to 3 then 4.
I think a lot of guys had multiple points purchased from when they cost only $10 and they started using them up. Is it possible that there was a lot of competition for tags from guys applying with 5 to 7 points? Will that "flood" of applicants start to dwindle down? So far that doesn't seem to be happening. But the PRICE for a point has creeped up little by little (or a lot by a lot!) until they now cost $64. When they were only $10, everybody could afford buying a point EVERY year. But I gotta think there are fewer people spending $64 for 4 to 7 years in order to buy an already outrageously priced tag. In this "brandon" economy, who has $1,000 just to buy a deer tag?

I’ll admit, that’s definitely deterring me…the price not as much as the wait…. 3-4 years Ill consider, 6-8 years… no thanks. I’m open to other recommendations as far as states go if anyone has any. Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Not gonna lie I thought you had a fancy explanation for creep! Haha my bad. I feel dumb. Thanks for the explanation man!

Point creep isn't just an Iowa problem is huge issue in all the the draw states with some kind of point system in place. I apply in 9 different states each year and its wild to see units that took me 3-4 points to draw 2 years ago taking 6-7 to draw now. The article below does a great job of explaining it.

I’ll admit, that’s definitely deterring me…the price not as much as the wait…. 3-4 years Ill consider, 6-8 years… no thanks. I’m open to other recommendations as far as states go if anyone has any. Thanks for all the feedback so far!
States like South Dakota, more of the lesser known states. The word Iowa doesn’t help, there are plenty of other good states but lesser known. Maybe not as big of deer but doesn’t have the cult following Iowa has!

Back