• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

POLL: SRT/Rappel Rope Length

What is the length of your SRT/Rappel rope?

• 30'

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • 35'

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • 40'

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • 45'

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • 50'

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

DanO

Vendor Rep
Getting into SRT/Rappel as another option for getting to height. Some of the ropes I'm looking at aren't cheap, but want to buy the right rope and the right length. Let me know what you use and why.

I'm using this rope, as deer don't see orange like we do http://www.wesspur.com/items/bl15.html This is a cheap but perfectly good climbing rope, wesspur has a great selection of different climbing ropes it's all personal preference. I bought 150' of this rope for just over 100 bucks, the reason i bought that much was because i'm making my tether, and linesmens belts out of this rope as well as using about 60 foot for SRT/ Rap, that and the fact that orders over 99.00 get free shipping!

I'm in a situation where 90% of my use will be rappel, with a small chance of SRT here and there. I chose 35' - I typically hunt between 18-25'. I rarely hunt trees larger than 24", at least not by girth hitching the trunk for SRT(I would use a branch). What this means, is that I could set rope 28' and still have my rope touch the ground on a tree that big. If I were full time SRT - and knew I might have to be throwing in to branches 5 or 10' above hunting height, I'd probably carry 40-50' of rope. But the rare exceptions aren't enough for me to carry the extra rope. 35' of oplux fits in a binocular case clipped on the hybrid or kestrel.

I'm a newbie and just bought an SRT setup. I have about 55 feet of rope, so glad to see others posting close to this range. It'll be my primary climbing for private land.

For one sticking, I use a 30’ sterling HTP 9mm. Allows me to get 20’ + in tree and then rappell down when done. For SRT, I use the 3/8” Sterling HTP. This is roughly a 9.5 mm rope and works great in both my GriGri+ and Petzl Rig. I have a 50’ rope. There are times I wish I had 60 or 70 feet so I could just throw over a big limb and tie off at the base of tree. Way easier to remove when done. My 50’ can only go about 22’ high if I tie off at base. The 70’ would allow me to use branches up to 32’ high and still tie off at base.

I use 9mm HTP, currently 40'. However, I did run into an issue this weekend where the 40' length wasn't quite enough. I was doing a little afternoon run and gun SRT for Axis deer here in Hawaii. I found the perfect tree with a great horizontal branch at....35'. I made it work but had to shimmy up the tree a little. A 50' rope would have allowed me to pass the tag end through the loop while standing on the ground. I'll likely order a 50' rope next time.

The way I figure it is that I typically hunt with my feet between 20 and 25 ft. I tie in at eye level, so say another 6 ft. Then add the length of the girth hitch around an 18" diameter tree, approx. another 5 ft. That's 36 feet of rope to the ground. Adding another few feet if I'm in a spot where I want to be a little higher or if the tree may be a little bit bigger isn't a big deal compared to running out of rope on the rappel down. Therefore all my hunting rappel ropes are 40-45 feet long.

Last edited:
I had a line that was just over 22' and found that I had to climb down to have it reach the ground so I have decided on a 30' piece.

I'm using 40 feet of Sterling HTP Static 9mm in black from R&W Rope. Purchased it by the foot (.84 cents) and they can't splice a loop in it but you can pay to have Sterling sew an eye in it. I wanted to carry as little as possible to cut weight so I ordered 40 feet. Several problems by only having 40 feet are: 1. Any knot used to form a loop in the end for the girth hitch you lose about a foot of rope. 2. I have found a few trees with great girth hitch branches higher than I have enough rope for....even though I hunt at 30 feet max, sometimes the place in the tree you can hitch to is higher....3. tree diameter in bigger trees takes some rope too. The rope is only 62 grams per meter so another 10 feet is only .49 pounds could have gotten 50 feet...and will next time......thus I voted 50 feet......good luck be careful!

Sterling HTP Static 9mm

Also take into account how high you can reach. With SRT you just need to able to reach up and girth hitch.

I bought 80' of 9mm HTP and cut it into one 35' piece and on 45' piece. I always carry the 35' piece and rarely need the 45'.

Edit: I rarely climb much over 20-22'.

Last edited:
Do you guys order your rope with a spliced eye at one end?

I tied a figure eight on a bight on the end of my 9mm HTP. It works awesome...most of the time. I've had a little trouble pulling the knot over the crotch of certain trees, specifically ironwood. Works great with smooth bark trees but I can now see the usefulness of the sewn eye.

Back