• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

rappel

1. JKelly7290

Friction Hitch Getting Caught in Delta Link?

New to the saddle game but have spent countless hours practicing this offseason. I've tried several friction hitches on my tether/rappel line and am leaning towards a distel or schwabisch. 2 Questions: 1. Does anyone simply slide down their friction hitch to use as autoblock when rappelling...
  2. DGF

Roll Pouch, Strata Camo SOLD, Please Close

SOLD I have for sale a roll pouch manufactured by Flat Branch Outdoors. It's a great compact storage and organization option for those looking to one stick or rappel. It served me well for half of last season, however I've switched climbing methods. Condition is used, but in good shape...
  3. H

Rappel Ring

Here’s a great idea, just throw a rappel ring in your gear and ditch the other belay devices. How to Set up and Use a Rappel Ring
  4. Bondy OutdoorsTV

using sticks to go up, platform to hunt, but rappel down

curious if anyone uses climbing sticks to go up a tree, a platform to saddle hunt off of, then uses a rope to rappel on the way down (obviously removing the platform and sticks)? It seems easier than trying to climb down especially with aiders. Faster too possibly? But there is the extra bulk of...
  5. tarafrost

Attaching quick link to rappel rope: Scaffold knot or sewn loop/girth hitch?

I'm looking to buy a 40' Canyon Elite rappel rope, and the supplier will put in in an eye at the end for a reasonable fee. So....wondering what the pros/cons might be of getting a rappel rope with a sewn loop at one end and using that to girth hitch to the quick link versus using a straight...
  6. F

EDELRID Mega Jul - Anyone using one?

Anyone using or have used one of these. For $40 it seems to be a non-mechanical all in one device (descender and makeshift ascender due to locking feature). Thoughts? I don’t care if not buttery smooth, noob here with limited budget and I like multiple use devices anyway... EDELRID Mega Jul...
  7. Red Beard

5.5lb climbing, platforming, & descending package - Solo Scout

Saddle hunting is dangerous. People have died doing it. Know that if you hunt from an elevated position, there is a higher percentage of you not coming home to your loved ones than if you stay on the ground. Take the words/ideas of dudes on the internet with a grain of salt; very few of them are...
  8. okccj

SOLD Complete rappel / SRT package

40 ft 9mm static kernmantle rope MadRock Safeguard Short Bridge with carabiners (Metolius Bravo II Wiregate Long Draw - Black/Yellow 12") Climbing Technology Quick Roll Ascender, (this ascender has a built in pulley which eliminates noise and makes rope advancement a breeze) Throwline and 12oz...
  9. B

Question for adding amsteel to stepps and SRT rappel

Hi All, Firstly as a new member, I’d like to thank everyone who contribute to these forums. The amount of knowledge and insight within this community is really an awesome thing. Anyways, this will be my first year saddle hunting. Hoping to practice in my flex saddle next week. I’m looking for...
  10. DanO

POLL: SRT/Rappel Rope Length

Getting into SRT/Rappel as another option for getting to height. Some of the ropes I'm looking at aren't cheap, but want to buy the right rope and the right length. Let me know what you use and why.
  11. pesqimon

SRT with only 2 Ropeman's

So I have been playing with SRT for tree climbing a bit. I have RADS technique down but was wondering if a Texas Kick system would be viable and better. The advantage of the Texas Kick system over RADS is that it is simpler with less gear requirements. My results were simpler and better than I...
  12. Thunder81

Use Ropeman 1 as an Autoblock?

So I was thinking the other day that using a Ropeman 1 as an autoblock would be less fiddly than using the hollowblock sling. Of course, this is in a rappel situation. I am going to try this and report back. Does anyone that rappels see any issues with this?
Back