• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Post season shenanigans/post season blues

Outdoorsman33

So now that deer season is over for me I go to wonder what will I do with my spare time? I plan on investing into my set up alittle more and getting a few things upgraded. Don’t have a saddle YET but plan to get one. So for time being I will starting my post season scouting. Was wanting to hear what some of you guys plan to do in the off season this year and some of the things you learned during your season. I know I’ve learned that the old saying “you can’t kill deer if your not where deer are” has sunk in for me this year. I also learned that don’t try to make yourself hunt a area because it “looks” good Put in the time and effort and go find where the deer are even if it’s 2 miles away or 200 yards from the road. I Appreciate any replies!!

I personally plan ok killing lots of fish and getting more efficient with my Wild edge climbing system. I also have 3 newbies that I have to teach the ropes on saddle hunting. Plan to kill some east texas piney rooters in the off season as well. All of these things..........God willing!

I will be doing a lot of scouting for the next month. After that all my spare time will be making deposits back in the brownie point jar with the wife and kids! That thing gets pretty low at the end of the season. The main lesson I learned this year was quality sits over quantity. I love sitting in the woods and at times i will sit a spot with a semi questionable wind just to be out there and hope I get lucky. Bit me in the ass this year a few times. I need to wait until everything is perfect for that specific spot then go in for the kill.

I personally plan ok killing lots of fish and getting more efficient with my Wild edge climbing system. I also have 3 newbies that I have to teach the ropes on saddle hunting. Plan to kill some east texas piney rooters in the off season as well. All of these things..........God willing!
What area of East Texas do you plan on killing them piney rooters? I surprisingly didn’t kill but one this year in my area in LA where I usually kill 3 or 4.

I will be doing a lot of scouting for the next month. After that all my spare time will be making deposits back in the brownie point jar with the wife and kids! That thing gets pretty low at the end of the season. The main lesson I learned this year was quality sits over quantity. I love sitting in the woods and at times i will sit a spot with a semi questionable wind just to be out there and hope I get lucky. Bit me in the ass this year a few times. I need to wait until everything is perfect for that specific spot then go in for the kill.
I did the same thing several times this year just to get out there. Go in on a questionable wind just so I don’t feel like I wasted time. Quality vs quantity was a big thing for me this year too. I hunted maybe half as much as I used to but actually seen some deer in the stand in a unit I haven’t seen 1 or more deer at a time in years. Man Im glad you reminded me I might should start building my brownie points back up early this year maybe I’ll get to go on alittle turkey chasing in the spring.

I’m predator hunting almost every day and night right now. I actually think I like it better than deer hunting. I’m headed out tomorrow at daylight to a public spot to hunt and scout for next year. I’m not going to spend as much time deer hunting next season. If I locate a good buck I’ll go after it but I’m not going to sweat it if I don’t get one.

I’m predator hunting almost every day and night right now. I actually think I like it better than deer hunting. I’m headed out tomorrow at daylight to a public spot to hunt and scout for next year. I’m not going to spend as much time deer hunting next season. If I locate a good buck I’ll go after it but I’m not going to sweat it if I don’t get one.
I have tried doing the same this year trying to locate a buck and just hunt him. It also has resulted in me not punching one deer tag for the past several years on public. I hope the next season I won’t be as picky I need to get a few more deer under the belt so I have that much more knowledge and experience for when big boy does show up. Good luck on the predator hunting I keep saying I’m going to get into it every year but never do. I’ve heard it can be really fun calling in some coyotes close and personal.

You dabbling in the thermal game? My brother chases yotes all the time and bought a ATN Thor 4 640 last fall. I have used it a handful of times this winter. Holy ****!!! First time Iv ever looked through a thermal. Blew my mind.

I have tried doing the same this year trying to locate a buck and just hunt him. It also has resulted in me not punching one deer tag for the past several years on public. I hope the next season I won’t be as picky I need to get a few more deer under the belt so I have that much more knowledge and experience for when big boy does show up. Good luck on the predator hunting I keep saying I’m going to get into it every year but never do. I’ve heard it can be really fun calling in some coyotes close and personal.
I kill a good buck about every year. I’m just not going to focus as much on it right now. Predator hunting is awesome. I killed a fox last night that attacked my call. A coon almost attacked it on the next stand. 2 coyotes and a bobcat all less than 50 yards this season. It’s a rush.

You dabbling in the thermal game? My brother chases yotes all the time and bought a ATN Thor 4 640 last fall. I have used it a handful of times this winter. Holy ****!!! First time Iv ever looked through a thermal. Blew my mind.
No thermal yet. Too expensive. Just a red light and another taped to my barrel.

No thermal yet. Too expensive. Just a red light and another taped to my barrel.
Yeah they are stupid expensive. Thats why Im sure glad HE bought one. We cannot use any artificial light or anything that projects light. Which makes no sense. But thermals are good too go.

Spring turkey in March and spring hog in May. Lots of time being spent with the speedy stitcher between now and then...and can't forget spring time beach fishing....ready for the first pompano sandwich

Back