• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Preferred Strap for Pioneer Step

Aeds151

I have some steps with the stock cam strap and dont mind them but I also have some steps that I need attachment methods for and decided the amsteel route wont make them tight enough. So what is the preferred strap?
A cam strap, a Hook and OCB, or a sewn OCB?

I will be carrying 8-12 steps in drop leg pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be honest, I have no clue what I am looking at here. I do like the camo though. Probably why im going cross eyed. I think i have ruled out the sewn ocb. Although probably the tightest, maybe the lightest, i feel the sewn ocb will be a pain due to having to thread the strap twice while holding everything in position. Remember I will be doing this up to 12 times up and down. Although not having the extra hook will be quieter and less bulk. I am leaning towards ocb and hook. I guess if i prefer the cam strap i can use the ones i have for preset and replace with hook/ocb.

I will be honest, I have no clue what I am looking at here. I do like the camo though. Probably why im going cross eyed. I think i have ruled out the sewn ocb. Although probably the tightest, maybe the lightest, i feel the sewn ocb will be a pain due to having to thread the strap twice while holding everything in position. Remember I will be doing this up to 12 times up and down. Although not having the extra hook will be quieter and less bulk. I am leaning towards ocb and hook. I guess if i prefer the cam strap i can use the ones i have for preset and replace with hook/ocb.

I use 2 Aus Alpine buckles with a 1/8 amsteel using a cleat hitch. I think they get really tight.

I use 2 Aus Alpine buckles with a 1/8 amsteel using a cleat hitch. I think they get really tight.

Ya i couldnt really see what you were doing in the videos. It looked slick though. Do you have close up pics?

I’m using this strap from EWO with their ratchet for my Pioneer steps. Absolutely rock solid.

As you noted, straps with sewn on OCBs are less than ideal due to rethreading the webbing. Straps with a j-hook can be easily silenced with camo-form (vet-wrap) on the hook. Works great.

As you noted, straps with sewn on OCBs are less than ideal due to rethreading the webbing. Straps with a j-hook can be easily silenced with camo-form (vet-wrap) on the hook. Works great.

Thinking about it, sewn ocb could cause issues with step falling off as well.

I have some steps with the stock cam strap and dont mind them but I also have some steps that I need attachment methods for and decided the amsteel route wont make them tight enough. So what is the preferred strap?
A cam strap, a Hook and OCB, or a sewn OCB?

I will be carrying 8-12 steps in drop leg pack

what's your drop leg pack gonna look like? will it keep them quiet (not clanging each other) without having to wrap each step with vet tape or similar?

are you buying or making this? please share whatever info you have

as far as attachment methods, the standard daisy chain method from Pioneer is not tight....but the daisy chain trucker hitch method is

I tinkered with ocb straps but they open to easily for my comfort. Maybe someone has a fix for that I dunno.

What color pattern?

They are custom from a picture of a tree in my back yard.you crop it down and e Mail it to their art department.have them darken the black and inhanse the color.and you can match any tree bark you want.it cost extra.but i love them

Last edited:
what's your drop leg pack gonna look like? will it keep them quiet (not clanging each other) without having to wrap each step with vet tape or similar?

are you buying or making this? please share whatever info you have

as far as attachment methods, the standard daisy chain method from Pioneer is not tight....but the daisy chain trucker hitch method is

the steps have been blasted and painted with matte green, wrapped in camo gaf tape with 1/4” double fisherman's knot looped bungee cord on the ends to go around the strap buckle on the outside of tag end for storage.

drop leg will be a combo of the popular $20 british military surplus mtb from sportsmans with side pockets and all velcro stitch ripped from it and neo cadium 10x2mm magnet discs sewn into lid for easy/quiet open/close. This will be attached to either diy or amazon drop leg rig as to keep out of way and from hanging off of saddle. I will add straps and g hooks to pack and loops of webbing to my jx3 waist belt, rxh, and ah flex saddle so i connect the step pack to leg then to whatever hunting system I am using. Including rch with summit climber for call, kill kit, first aid, snacks.
I like amsteel/dyneema for fishing not hunting. Not doing that trucker cluster.

I tinkered with ocb straps but they open to easily for my comfort. Maybe someone has a fix for that I dunno.
That is right. I have 1 that came with a ros. I tried it and pops off. Ocb and hook too finicky

Back