• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Question about 'entry level' bow and upgrading

mprooch

Still pretty new at things, so here goes a 'dumb question': Got back into hunting as an adult in recent years, having hunted as a teen. Bought a Bear Species fully kitted out, some arrows, and a release when I got going, tuned it up at the local shop, and have put a few deer in the freezer with it. Generally does what I'm expecting and can put decent groupings together and think my technique and form isn't awful from what buddies with more experience have said. And yet, there are these amazing bows out there that are faster, better let off, better components. Heck, there are things I see out there that I'm not even sure how they work (fall away rests for example)

Am I just being a gear hound, pining over 'better'? Are there compelling reasons to upgrade that people can site? If I were going to upgrade, what components or aspects make the biggest overall improvements in the hunting game? Thanks for thoughts.

Hmm....for hunting if you can hit a 2 inch grouping at 20 yards and are happy with that, then anything else is just luxuries that is a personal choice. But yes, technology can make some things easier.

-50lbs bow today are pushing same kinetic energy as 70lbs bow of decades ago. With smoother draw and more let off.

-Sturdier material and quality. less plastic parts and better material. I have drop my bow from trees and dry fired my bow 3 times already and only thing that damage was a single washer. This also include string technology advancement too.

-Self tuning. Companies are understanding that people are using dedicated bow shop less and less, a lot of newer bow allow for adjustment without the need of a bow press, look at Elite or Athen bows.

-Budget bows like the Mission and Diamond brand can literally last you from youth to adult hood. Going from 15-70 lbs, are they the most efficient? No, but they will still kill deer with no problem.

What's wrong with pining over "better" and being a gear hound?? Seriously, at some level all of us like gear. I know I do. It's probably a problem in some regards but I try to stay even. Anyway, have fun. But in an honest assessment, that bow has killed for you, and it will continue to kill for you just fine!! Just don't overextend yourself for the next best thing just to have the next best thing unless you just want it. Scouting and time in the saddle are what pay the long-term dividends.

Given you have a new compound bow that has already killed deer, buying a new bow will have no measurable effect on your success. It’s your time and money, spend it how you see fit. But it ain’t changing your deer hunting prowess. Like, at all.

components will fit almost any bow and speed tends to come at the cost of shootability and easy tuning (the differences were more noticeable in the past than with current models). Having a bow you shoot well and have confidence in is what really matters when you're in the woods.

I feel ya, but also appreciate woodsdog's reply. In my opinion, The gear is part of the hobby too. Go for it, or don't. There will always be better gear that we don't "need" but if you can afford it it's fun to have.

There is something to be said about better gear making it easier to shoot, perhaps it's a touch quieter, or easier to tune, or maybe it's just a psychological thing about having something new and shiny. but in reality get the new bow if you want, just don't expect it to have any direct effect on hunting/shooting a deer. Sounds like you have a bit of "keeping up with the Joneses" when you're comparing yourself to your friends. Perhaps the better question is why?

A Honda Civic will get you anywhere you need to go. It will have AC, bluetooth, seat belts, airbags, turn signals, a horn...everything you need to get from A to B comfortably and safely. It will operate at the speed limit anywhere you drive it.

A Tesla, Porsche, or Lamborghini will do all of that for much more money.

If you're a car guy who loves the car for its own sake and not the utility it provides, you'll derive a benefit form the Lambo. Buy it. But don't kid yourself about it providing any advantage on the daily commute.

If you love bows, or want a status boost in the bowhunter club, buy a better bow. If you like putting broadheads through ribcages, you've already got the thing.

Sounds like you have a bit of "keeping up with the Joneses" when you're comparing yourself to your friends. Perhaps the better question is why?
Made the mistake of stopping by the flex on folks bow thread and there are a lot of new hotness, top of the line gear there! I'm fine putting deer down with my entry level bow. Just wanted to know, objectively, if there are things that do make a big difference splashing out for something more intermediate or spendy.

A Honda Civic will get you anywhere you need to go. It will have AC, bluetooth, seat belts, airbags, turn signals, a horn...everything you need to get from A to B comfortably and safely. It will operate at the speed limit anywhere you drive it.
I'm still driving my 2002 tacoma that has 230k plus miles and I'll drive it till it falls apart underneath me. Appreciate the responses on this thread.

What I did. I bought a bow I could afford, then over a few years i upgraded components as i had the money or they wore out. I then had mine blow up and a limb crack. I then bought a frame and had all of my nice components put only a new frame and Boom! I had a nice bow that I could afford. My dad still has a 2001 parker that he has restrung and replaced components on over and over. He kills more deer than I do with a fancy newer bow. Do what makes you happy......I like new gear.

Is that model a composite riser or aluminum? I shoot my cheap bear just as accurate as the used bow I bought to replace it but the aluminum riser on the upgrade is much quieter...I did like the weight of the composite 1. I still own both.

Is that model a composite riser or aluminum? I shoot my cheap bear just as accurate as the used bow I bought to replace it but the aluminum riser on the upgrade is much quieter...I did like the weight of the composite 1. I still own both.
Aluminum riser.

I was in the same mindset at first. But then the funny thing was I went to a saddle event. Everyone told me that my Creed was the quietest bow they have ever heard, another guy was complaining how his Bear was horrible. I tried it out and yes, there was a very clear different in shooting both bows. We tried each other's bow and a few minutes later he told me he's going to go buy a Mathews asap. He going to blame me because it's a very 'ignorance is bliss' kind of thing. And having actual testimonies from people reinforce that quality is quality sometimes. Same with traditional bow too. Just be true to yourself, understand you're spending money because you just want to.

BTW, I love my Honda Civic!

My son just went from his mission bow (very short light bow) to a full size 33 axle to axle “adult” bow.

Got the mission at 10 and shot it till he was 15. The mission got him started and for that I’m grateful, but the accuracy upgrade was instant with the new bow.

I personally am a bit of a gear junkie, but there’s not doubt it improves your situation.

I'd be happy with what I got if it were me....spend that money on broadheads
You know that is a very enlightened statement. In our bowhunting course, one of the exam questions is along the lines of (and I paraphrase) " Assuming your bow, arrows and other related bowhunting shooting gear is in safe working condition and fits you properly, what is the most important piece of bowhunting equipment?" It is a multiple-choice test and there are four options, but the answer is "broadheads." The reason? That's the part that does the actual killing.

All good responses which I agree with. Only reason I could see to buy a new bow would be if you were chasing some kind of measurable metric; for example, smoothness. If your bow wasn’t very smooth or had a very aggressive valley and you needed something easier on your shoulder that would make sense. I have bad shoulders so I’m always after a smoother shooting bow. But it sounds like your current bow throws sticks down range might fine so I’d say get a drop away rest and play with that a spell, maybe try out a different sight as there are lots to play with. Try a different style release. And if’n the bow bug bites you snatch up a new one and just transfer your accessories over.

This is a question I have asked myself repeatedly. I am absolutely a gear snob in most aspects of my life and hobbies, so I always glance at my cheap Bear Wild that I got for $100 with the tags from ****'s Sporting Goods still on it and think about putting it out to pasture. It came setup similar to your species, decked out with trophy ridge accessories and a whisker biscuit, but I have upgraded basically all of the components to higher end offerings. I don't really have any issues with my bow, but I know that I am sacrificing some speed over a more premium offering with the Bear IBO speed being around 310.

So far, I have convinced myself to hold off in an effort to continue gathering gear and money for out of state hunts in the next few years. But the new bows sure are pretty when I wander into the shop.

I'd be happy with what I got if it were me

I knew you were a philosopher!

Buddha said desire is attachment, and attachment is the root of suffering. So don't desire, and you won't suffer. But desiring not to desire is still desiring....which leaves Buddhists in quite a pickle. The Taoists solve that little hiccup with a simple amendment...

Desire only what you have.

"Do you want chocolate or vanilla?" "Well, I think I'd like chocolate, please." "My apologies, it appears we're out of chocolate." "I think I'd like vanilla then."

Back