• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rain

mschultz373

SH Member
Do you guys hunt in the rain? Meaning not a torrential downpour, but steady bearable rain. More than a drizzle.

My available days to hunt this week have a high chance of rain all afternoon and early evening. I have a Milsurp camo poncho so not anxious from a gear perspective- more wondering if it could be a fruitful use of time and what shifts to my approach maybe needed. I know still hunting would be a real possibility; I’m also a bit wary of climbing one stick with rain on the tree/platform etc.

Any insights and experiences helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunt when I have days to hunt and have gone in the rain. If you want to spot and stalk it helps keep you quiet. If you want to be in the tree it also makes deer more quiet so I feel you have to be even more alert, no crunching leaves to tip you off.

Commandment #6. A rainstorm isn’t a reason to quit the hunt. It’s a reason to stay.

Yes, I like hunting in the rain. Deer seem to move better on days of light rain. As long as it isn't lightning, I'm good. I've bought good raingear over the last couple of years for just this. Rainy days are also a good time to hit the ground and slowly stalk out an area.

Nope. I hunt because I enjoy it and its fun. Theres zero fun hunting in the rain. Even with my excellent Kuiu rain gear. That said, there's major advantages hunting in it for sure. I believe you can hunt a spot back to back as the rain will wash away scent. And you can hunt certain areas that are otherwise too loud to access as you'll spook game.
To me, its a matter of how much time you have to hunt. If I was a weekend warrior. Id be out no matter what conditions short of a thunderstorm.
But I work 3 on 3 off, so I'm already off half the season. Plus I take 3 of my 5 vacation weeks in November.
So no, ill wait for better conditions

I generally don't bowhunt in the rain, just because the blood trail is so much more important in finding the deer. I will rifle or muzzleloader hunt in the rain, but usually limit my hunting locations to places where I'll be able to watch the deer longer after the shot.

That said, if there's a combination of cold, excessive wind, and rain, I might choose to stay in.

Do you guys hunt in the rain? Meaning not a torrential downpour, but steady bearable rain. More than a drizzle.

My available days to hunt this week have a high chance of rain all afternoon and early evening. I have a Milsurp camo poncho so not anxious from a gear perspective- more wondering if it could be a fruitful use of time and what shifts to my approach maybe needed. I know still hunting would be a real possibility; I’m also a bit wary of climbing one stick with rain on the tree/platform etc.

Any insights and experiences helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rain isn’t a reason to stop hunting it’s a reason to stay- Fred Bear

But seriously, I won’t intentionally stand out and get wet but right after a rain is always the most movement I see from any animal species. It’s like the first cold front.

Rain doesn't deter deer, and it shouldn't you.
I would argue that point. While I know deer do get killed in the rain, I have at least 10 cell cams out that I keep out year round. I don’t think I’ve ever had a deer pic in the rain. The movement is so low, it’s not worth my time to sit out there and get me and all my stuff wet.

Back