• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rangefinder advice.

DroptineKrazy

SH Member
Looking for a bowhunting rangefinder. Doesn't need to be fancy just work when I need it. Not a fanboy of any single brand but I do prefer ''made in the USA" if at all possible. Specifically looking for one with a red digital readout as my eyes ain't what they use to be. Suggestions? Thanks.

Vortex Ranger gets my vote. Made in Merica and has lifetime warranty no questions asked. Red readout as well. Halo range finders have red display as well. But I’m team Vortex.
Virtually nothing from vortex is made in America. It's all overseas. Hence why they can offer their stuff at a reasonable price with the warranty

I’m a vortex fanboy as well, and with the warranty, you have it for life.

I bought a used Redfield Raider 550 and have been pretty happy with it. Like you said, it was just for bow hunting, so I didn't want to pay for the ability to range a target 400 yards out. Performance under 50 yards was the priority, and my cheap Simmons was all over the place under 20 yards.

I have a Leopold Vendetta mounted on my crossbow from when I had shoulder problems and it worked great. I don't use one with the recurve as I know where 25 yards is around my sets.

I’d skip out on Leupolds stuff, I love their scopes. Their warranty is great but not on electronics which would be a rangefinder. Had one of their more expensive ones take a crap on me.

If you want a red read out don’t go for the impact from vortex as I believe it’s a black readout. The ranger series are great and I have the 1800. You could save a little money and go 1300 ranger.

I’d skip out on Leupolds stuff, I love their scopes. Their warranty is great but not on electronics which would be a rangefinder. Had one of their more expensive ones take a crap on me.

If you want a red read out don’t go for the impact from vortex as I believe it’s a black readout. The ranger series are great and I have the 1800. You could save a little money and go 1300 ranger.

my sig kilo just took a crap (display faded away). Called sig customer service and they said it’s out of warranty. I asked because I thought it was a life time warranty and they said the warranty is only 5 years on electronics (had mine for 7). They did offer 40% off a new one.

my sig kilo just took a crap (display faded away). Called sig customer service and they said it’s out of warranty. I asked because I thought it was a life time warranty and they said the warranty is only 5 years on electronics (had mine for 7). They did offer 40% off a new one.
That’s actually not bad I feel like. Leupolds on electronics is only 2 I believe. I feel like 5 years is fair to back a product honestly. Still sucks tho! Craps too expensive to be buying them all the time

The ranger 1800 is awesome. Lotta money for just bow hunting but if you hunt early mornings or late evenings its great having that red readout (its not ideal midday, but i usually only range things in the beginning of the hunt and memorize my marks). I always thought until about 2 min ago my RF was Made in America. Looks like i got bamboozled! I try hard to hunt with USA gear but oh well. At least if anything goes wrong its got a lifetime warranty. Not sure if i would trust it on a 350 yd shot anymore though.

The ranger 1800 is awesome. Lotta money for just bow hunting but if you hunt early mornings or late evenings its great having that red readout (its not ideal midday, but i usually only range things in the beginning of the hunt and memorize my marks). I always thought until about 2 min ago my RF was Made in America. Looks like i got bamboozled! I try hard to hunt with USA gear but oh well. At least if anything goes wrong its got a lifetime warranty. Not sure if i would trust it on a 350 yd shot anymore though.
Why wouldn’t you trust yours anymore at longer range?

I've always just had the cheapo halo. I seen my buddies vortex and the red display is the way to go....that $140 tidewe has a red/green display....I can't justify spending much more.....200yds and in, color display, and waterproof is all I need/want..The tidewe doesn't say anything about "waterproof/resistant" but neither does the halo that has been rained on a bunch of times and still works.

Anybody have the tidewe rangefinder?
I have it and it’s gotten to where it’s always a few yards off for some reason. I’ll range my block target at 20 yards and usually get 23 or 24 yards. Seemed more accurate at first. In the field I would usually hit branches, brush etc. between me and the target even when it looked clear.

I've always just had the cheapo halo. I seen my buddies vortex and the red display is the way to go....that $140 tidewe has a red/green display....I can't justify spending much more.....200yds and in, color display, and waterproof is all I need/want..The tidewe doesn't say anything about "waterproof/resistant" but neither does the halo that has been rained on a bunch of times and still works.
i loved my halo. had that for years until my wife needed one. so i bought that vortex. the halo is not washing machine proof though. Ask my wife.

the red really makes a big difference for the low light. It seems dumb but sometimes judging a shot in a new spot when your adrenalin is going can be tough. The only way i could make out numbers was to hold it to the sky after taking a reading

Which model are you talking about?

Virtually nothing from vortex is made in America. It's all overseas. Hence why they can offer their stuff at a reasonable price with the warranty

Well the Razor HD AMG line is made in the USA, most of the upper-end scopes up and glass is made in the Philippines and Japan. I have a lot of Vortex stuff that see's heavy competition use, and it has all been solid. With that said you are correct that the Ranger line is made overseas. In fact my Ranger 1800 is made in China. Its seen 3 years of hard use and is going strong. Its a great rangefinder for the price, but it is not made in the USA.

Why wouldn’t you trust yours anymore at longer range?
I dunno. I dont trust chinese/p.r.c equipment, i always had issues with things built there. Work for a little bit and then poof. i would have to get out on a range and test before i put blind faith in a 300 yd shot. The longest range i have close by is 200. I should take it to a driving range.

This has nothing to do with trusting the product really but...Without getting too political i dont really want to support their govt or any US business that uses china to make more of a profit. i know its almost impossible to never buy made in china products but Its killing our country. "They took rrr jurrbbz"

Back