• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappel rope questions

CBB1

I’ve committed to getting into rappelling this year and have looked at the kits available on eastern woods site. Im just not sure the difference in the rope or what to choose. I currently run 8mm res tech for my lineman and tether. I’m defaulting to getting that for my rappel line but figured I’d ask here first.

I’ve committed to getting into rappelling this year and have looked at the kits available on eastern woods site. Im just not sure the difference in the rope or what to choose. I currently run 8mm res tech for my lineman and tether. I’m defaulting to getting that for my rappel line but figured I’d ask here first.
The kits are the easiest and most efficient way to go if you don’t want to customize a kit yourself

I used the 9mm canyon elite this past season for rappell line, purchased from ewo and thought it was perfect. Had him put the little loop on the bottom which is good for lowering my pack. I lower my weapon with pull down cord which is dynaglide. I had no issues with madrock safeguard but there are many other options. How will you be climbing? I grew a liking to 2TC

Ive always done full length LW sticks in the past. I’ve determined to level up my climbing method this year and try something different. I borrowed some gaffs and so far really like them. My plan is gaff up, rappel down where possible then look at some shorter sticks with aiders on public as needed.

So is the only reason guys are using a 9mm rope to stay in specs of the madrock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is the only reason guys are using a 9mm rope to stay in specs of the madrock?

Pretty much. Also, some people like stiffer rope and some like more supple rope, strangely enough, sometimes for the same reason. Some will say that softer rope is easier to get in a pouch, while I think it’s easier to get stiffer rope in a pouch. It’s like everything else in saddle hunting, personal preference.

Is one type of rope easier to retrieve than another?

I actually went with the 9mm cuz I'd used it before and liked the rope but kinda figured "anything smaller is going to be harder to pull up on with my hands"... also.. i wanted 6mm rope to work as a hitch cord.. was thinking 6mm to 8mm was a little close for comfort

I wound up with C-IV because that's what someone was selling. I like it. I have Sterling TRC hitch cord that fits well with it, and it's compatible with my figure-8. Since I don't use mechanical descenders or ascenders, I'm not limited in rope choice. If I wanted to use a GriGri or Kong Duck or Safeguard, I'd need to make sure that my rope and carabiners are compatible. So make sure that all the elements in your system work well together. It's less, "what rope is the best?" and more "what rope+cordage+hardware system is available to me at an attractive price?"

One thing about canyoneering ropes like the C-IV is that they're made to get wet and abused. They're durable. I've been caught out in heavy weather and knowing that my gear can get wet or cold or icy and still function safely is important to me.

I actually went with the 9mm cuz I'd used it before and liked the rope but kinda figured "anything smaller is going to be harder to pull up on with my hands"... also.. i wanted 6mm rope to work as a hitch cord.. was thinking 6mm to 8mm was a little close for comfort
Preface: NOT a climbing instructor, here.
You can get away with 6mm on 8mm but it is a close call. I use an extra wrap on my prusik (making it a 4x4) and have no issues locking it down or breaking it. I’ve also used a 4x and 5x klemheist on it with no issue. I’m sure the type of hitch will make a difference and the rope quality as well, and 5mm is definitely more desirable overall but 6mm should work just fine at elevation if you’re confident at ground level with its grabbing and holding capacity. I would also argue (and someone may correct or curtail this) that the relative closeness of diameter between 6mm and 8mm would be beneficial for rappelling because you’re less likely to get “over-grabbed” by the hitch as you descend on it, allowing for a smoother, potentially faster trip down.

No, larger diameter ropes are easier to use for me personally. Not just rappelling, but for one sticking and 2TC when I play around with it. Honestly you wouldn't notice packing 40ft of Oplux VS 40ft of Canyon IV.

I climb/ rappell on 10.5mm and recently messed around with some 8mm . While you can pack alot comfortably creating enough friction for a more controlled rappell has been problematic for me. I was messing around in the lab with a new device to me and it got away from me and I received some pretty bad rope burns on my brake hand( totally my fault). I use my line for climbing as well as tether and just prefer a little more hand ( comfort provided by larger diameter). I have never experienced much of a smooth descent on smaller rope with many of the available devices and I have numerous ones. Whatever one you pair with a small diameter rope perhaps a glove on the brake hand would be advisable.

I climb/ rappell on 10.5mm and recently messed around with some 8mm . While you can pack alot comfortably creating enough friction for a more controlled rappell has been problematic for me. I was messing around in the lab with a new device to me and it got away from me and I received some pretty bad rope burns on my brake hand( totally my fault). I use my line for climbing as well as tether and just prefer a little more hand ( comfort provided by larger diameter). I have never experienced much of a smooth descent on smaller rope with many of the available devices and I have numerous ones. Whatever one you pair with a small diameter rope perhaps a glove on the brake hand would be advisable.
I bring leather gloves or chopper mitts with me specifically for rappelling. I'm partial to the Wells Lamont 'ropers' work gloves, both plain and insulated. Good tip.

Is one type of rope easier to retrieve than another?

I think the stiffer rope might be a little less likely to wedge in a crotch or V in the tree, however I have never done a comparison test. I use Canyon C-IV which is stiff and I am still happy with it after 2 seasons.

Last edited:
I decided to learn how to rappel during this off-season, so I bought the kit from EWO that included a MadRock Safeguard & the 9mm Sterling Canyon Elite.

I also got 35' of 8mm Teufelburger Resc Tech to see how that works with the MadRock.

:oops:!!NOTE!!:oops:-the MadRock Safeguard is rated for 8.9-11mm rope, so the Resc Tech is considered (by MadRock) to be TOO SMALL for the Safeguard. USE THIS COMBINATION AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Both have been great ropes so far, and both have easily been pulled down from the tree once I've descended.

The only difference is that for some reason, the Canyon Elite wants to always slide down the tree, when I'm climbing. I'm mainly "practice-climbing" Shagbark Hickories, & Chestnut Oaks, which both have pretty rough bark. I even removed my quick link from the Canyon Elite, to lighten it up to see if that made a difference, which it didn't. Climbing with that & advancing my tether/rappel rope is kind of "fiddly" for me. Not a big deal, because I don't care how long it takes to get to hunting height-I'm not a speed demon! ;)

But, I've pretty much decided that it will be a great pre-set rope, where I can climb with it & cinch it down ahead of time (with a stopper,) & leave it up there. For my pre-sets, if I'm going to leave the rappel rope on the tree (especially on public land,) I coil it up about 12 'or so from ground level, & hang it on one of my Wild Edge steps. Then when I go back, I use a lineman's belt & tether to get that far up, uncoil & drop the rappel line, & use that with the lineman's belt to go the rest of the way up.

The Resc Tech works fine-A little small to grab with my gloved hands, ( I ALWAYS wear gloves when climbing,) but very manageable. And, it doesn't seem to want to slip down the tree while climbing as easily as the Canyon Elite.

I personally have experienced no issues climbing or rappelling down when used with the Safeguard.

Then, because I am a hopeless gear junkie, I saw this stuff on another thread, & decided that I needed to try it as well:

It's the first dynamic rope that I've tried, and so far, I'm very pleased with it. It's bigger, (10.5mm) so easier to grab & advance up the tree. Grips the tree very well, works well with the MadRock, & I can feel the stretch in it when I do a "less-than-adequate" job of starting/stopping my descents!o_O I also decided to try the Notch Quickie with this rope as my quick link-even with gloves, I can open & close it way quicker than opening/closing a quick link, when I have to disconnect it to go around a branch.

I am lucky enough to have access to private land here in PA & OH so I can do pre-sets, so all of this rope will get used, but so far, if I'm going in "cold," & have to find a tree to climb, my favorites are the Glider rope, followed by the Resc Tech!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Back