• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling Help

Gumbymedic

I will be using either one stick, WE Stepps, or a 5 step aider as my climbing method and I would like to rappel down. I just purchased a Madrock Safeguard and I am looking for rope/equipment recommendations. @boyne bowhunter gave me his gear of choice but I would like to get some additional feedback from those of you who do this on a regular basis. I don't really want to SRT, just rappel. Any help would be appreciated.

If you are just rappelling, an ATC plus an autoblock will serve you well. (Search Youtube for examples). This is the lightest, most compact, and simple system I know of.

If you are just rappelling, an ATC plus an autoblock will serve you well. (Search Youtube for examples). This is the lightest, most compact, and simple system I know of.
Agree, I would add a single length sling into the equation as well to extend the belay device. makes the autoblock more effective, and less likely to snag something in it.. Keeps the area around your waist a lot cleaner.

He says he has a safeguard... why not just use it. Can the safeguard not be dual purpose and replace the ropeman 1 on a tree tether? And as you repel it will hold you as you pick gear off the tree. Is my thinking wrong?
Are there advantages to the auto block over the safeguard. I am thinking of one stick and repelling next year too.

Another question. How often do you have to climb back up the tree to retrieve a rope that will not come down?

I would think the Safeguard as primary and the ATC and autoblock as backup since its cheap and small. Static rope of your choice between 9mm and 11mm. I have Sterling HTP 9mm and Samson Predator.

@Ontariofarmer
Somehow I missed that he already had a Safeguard. The ATC/autoblock is cheaper, lighter, more compact and smoother on decent. Having said that, a guy with a Safeguard would be well served to just use that.

Last edited:
would not a simple figure 8 device and then take a prussic or blakes hitch to back it up and slide down at same . i have done it several times with no issue. you can stop on way down anywhere since blakes holds well and there are multiple ways to rig fig 8 depending on amt of friction you want. was testing 1 stick method yesterday and to do it really needs a long tether so just used rappeling rope (samsom predator) and then pull slack up and tie off so wont be dangling in wind. cant get much cheaper than 20 bucks and 40kn +cost of rope.

would not a simple figure 8 device and then take a prussic or blakes hitch to back it up and slide down at same . i have done it several times with no issue. you can stop on way down anywhere since blakes holds well and there are multiple ways to rig fig 8 depending on amt of friction you want. was testing 1 stick method yesterday and to do it really needs a long tether so just used rappeling rope (samsom predator) and then pull slack up and tie off so wont be dangling in wind. cant get much cheaper than 20 bucks and 40kn +cost of rope.
works, but after a bunch of use will put a ton of twists and such on your rope, kinda annoying. Lots of better belay/rap devices out there today.

Yes a figure 8 and prussik will work. I would attach the prussik to my bridge loop or linesmans belt loop just to keep some separation between it and the fig 8. With the prussik below the fig 8 there’s not much pressure on the prussik. All it has to do is put enough pressure to stop the rope from going through the fig 8. That’s what most are referring to when they say autoblock.

With my retrieval system I tie a prussic on the right side of the loop (I use a link so I can go around branches) and when you tug on your retrieval line it causes the end to ride out parallel if that makes sense. It greatly reduces friction and makes getting your line out easily even over branches.

not familiar with all the terms used. but it works well and i am not one for heights and i feel pretty comfortable not too mention its alot of fun when leaving out.

I never did any rappelling with a figure 8 as they do twist the rope. I used a mammut smart belay. It’s ok as long as your using the right carabiner. It’s much Better as a belay device than rappelling.

I think rappelling is the fastest way down. It can be an extremely safe way down. When I look at that bulky pile of rope I have to ask myself why would I one stick and carry that pile of rope instead of just carrying two more sticks. You’re not adding that much bulk once you have one stick to carry vs three. If you are using srt to climb rappelling down is a no brainer. If I’m using spurs maybe but It’s not that hard to put them back on vs managing that pile of rope.

I’m using a grigri with a butterfly while sitting in my saddle instead the ropeman. I have 40 feet of 9mil sterling HTP I keep in a stuff sack that deploys as I rappel down. When I’m coming down I remove the safety knot and clean my sticks as I go.

Back