• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling on accessory cord

Fairchild#17

Looking into a compact package to rappel down. I see the Grivel Fig 8 on EWO will work down to 4mm rope.
Is anyone using 4-5-6mm cord to rappel down? I certainly has the break strength, but does it supply the need friction to safely rappel 20' down?

I would strongly recommend against it. Use ropes for the things they are designed for.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you want compact, look at firetech2 which is a bailout rope used by nyfd. Not cheap though.

If you want compact, look at firetech2 which is a bailout rope used by nyfd. Not cheap though.

It is 7.5 mm and is similar to oplux. Might as well use oplux It looks like good rope and was a suggested rope option to me by a rope distributor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok, this is why I questioned it. Figured this was the response I would get, but why is it rated down to 4mm cord?
I read on some rock climbing forums that guys had backup 5-6-7mm rappel ropes as backups.

The prussik cordage we use is the weakest link in the system.
Is it the weight rating that makes it an amazingly bad idea? Is it the diameter not supplying the proper friction? Why is it a bad idea?

I'm not arguing. Just wondering.

........or just jump down? Just kidding dude. It's called accessory cord for a reason. Stick with rated climbing line(it's called that for a reason too).
Hey @redsquirrel it may be time to re-declare this up coming season the season of safety? What say ye all?

Some 5 mm cord is rated at 5000 pounds. But I certainly would never use it. I expect that is why the question was asked. There is no stupid question. Just dumb answers. We should feel safe to ask a question without ridicule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"Grivel Figure 8 – perfect for rappelling on smaller rope down to 4mm. Specifically selected this device as it is in spec for 8mm Oplux – many other figure 8 devices don’t specify that."

"Grivel Figure 8 – perfect for rappelling on smaller rope down to 4mm. Specifically selected this device as it is in spec for 8mm Oplux – many other figure 8 devices don’t specify that."

DanO is probably the best vendor I've ever dealt with but I think that quote is a typo

That being said I would always use the manufacturer specs for designed use vs. your application. I understand that 8 to be rated from 7.8-11mm rope... Look for yourself

https://grivel.com/products/2-x-8

I will agree on this being a bad idea.
3/16” Samson accessory cord has an average strength of 1200lbs. I don’t see a working load rating. Probably a good reason for that... but .... Taking the 10:1 working load calculation used for other ropes. That would equate to like 120lb working load.

They are rated down to 4mm for the right rope if they make a rope that thin for the application. Accessory cord is not that rope.

In addition, accessory cord is typically not made from heat resistant fiber. Anyone whose lowered their bow on paracord can attest that small diameter lines will generate heat from friction must faster than their larger diameter counterparts.

Blackjack Mountain Outfitters sells Blue Mountain Accessory ford by the foot, I would trust no smaller than the 7mm which has a tensile strength of 2472 lbf or 11kn, 6mm jumps down to about 1900 lbf. Any knots In the line decrease the advertised strength.

If I were to do it this is the rope I would do it on, as it is readily available and cheap and a high quality rope that is nylon/nylon offering great durability. That said, I wouldn’t do it. The weight/space savings you’re getting, in my opinion, do not outweigh the safety risks. I would be at at least 8mm, but at that point, oplux is the better choice.

Petzl makes a 6mm rescue rappel rope package. I was considering buying it before I found oplux. The limited options on rappel devices to pair with it, and the decrease in margin for error in use(not its strength, but actual execution of a rappel) made it not worth the 2-3 ounces I’d save over oplux, and the extra dough I’d shell out buying the full 180’.

There are ropes smaller than 8mm that will do the job. You get out of a “it works without thinking or math or paying attention” mode and into having to do some work. If you’re a detail oriented person, and careful when you climb, maybe that’s better for you. If you’re the type of person who routinely has brushes with death and don’t even know they’ve happened, I’d stick with overkill...

I think the figure 8 with low mm is more designed as an emergency rappel line only. Don’t think I’d push down to 4mm but as back up rock climbing scenario maybe 6mm would do.

94a8015ffa2457275fa0e417021505a8.jpg

Let me phrase another way. If you’re asking dudes on the internet in a hunting forum if it’s a good idea to do something your life depends on, you probably shouldn’t be doing it.

We are just dudes on the internet. There’s an entire community of people who are trained and certified to help you with this topic. And if you’re not immediately going to them first with this type of issue, or are one of these people, you’re asking for trouble.

Most people ask questions hoping somebody else has already researched the topic and can suggest something or point them in the right direction.
You have a reputable company selling products that fall under the category of what I'm asking about. I'm simply asking if anyone has personal experience with it.

Is it OK to ask here about tethers, saddles, treestands, platforms, steps, carabiners, aiders, climbing methods............Afterall it's asking dudes on the internet about things our lives depend on.
Do you ask people here first or do you immediately get on the phone with the manufacturers? One of those people, eh?

Back