• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Redundancy in tethering

JaredG16

Just curious how many of you keep a secondary tether line?

While I have my bridge on my saddle attached to my main tether, I always wear my barebones climbing harness (that I use when I go rock climbing) under my saddle and have it connected to a secondary tether. It's loose enough as to not affect my mobility around the tree, but taut enough to not have extra rope interfere as well.
b0229697bc234987aca686b09a42cd78.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've done it a few times when I had a sketchy feeling, but not on a regular basis. It didn't interfere or anything, just not something I routinely do.

I've done it a few times when I had a sketchy feeling, but not on a regular basis. It didn't interfere or anything, just not something I routinely do.
Same here. At 25ft up, I'd rather have a secondary safety system. Doesn't cost a lot of setup time or much additional weight either.

Same here. At 25ft up, I'd rather have a secondary safety system. Doesn't cost a lot of setup time or much additional weight either.

I basically have 2 tethers, one is used as a lineman belt. I'm already carrying it, so no extra weight. I sometimes loop it around the tree to hold my pack anyway, just a matter of positioning the tag end if I wanted to connect it to me. Also used it to hold knee pad.

I basically have 2 tethers, one is used as a lineman belt. I'm already carrying it, so no extra weight. I sometimes loop it around the tree to hold my pack anyway, just a matter of positioning the tag end if I wanted to connect it to me. Also used it to hold knee pad.
Exactly. I basically already have my lineman's rope so it's no extra weight. I just use it as another tether once I am at height.

I can see a secondary back up at this point though just do the sit and climb method. It is very ,very unlikely that your tether will break unless of course you don't inspect it regularly , also the inner core of a tether line will hold you if the outer sheath breaks. The safety ropes are designed to do this. Now if your wearing a rock harness why not just do the sit and drag method where your connected to your rock harness directly to your tether and your bridge is connected to the prusik or ropeman 1. that set up your always connected to your tether. I also think you should do what makes you the most comfortable , and what makes you feel safe

I’ve also used my linesmens belt as a back up before when something just didn’t feel right.
Had other times I didn’t even consider needing a backup tether.

I don’t think your as free to move around the tree but that depends on how your backup
Tether is setup I guess.

If it makes you more comfortable 25’ up a tree its worth doing.

I can see a secondary back up at this point though just do the sit and climb method. It is very ,very unlikely that your tether will break unless of course you don't inspect it regularly , also the inner core of a tether line will hold you if the outer sheath breaks. The safety ropes are designed to do this. Now if your wearing a rock harness why not just do the sit and drag method where your connected to your rock harness directly to your tether and your bridge is connected to the prusik or ropeman 1. that set up your always connected to your tether. I also think you should do what makes you the most comfortable , and what makes you feel safe
I have a Tethrd Mantis (well, I will soon). And I agree... while it is unlikely that there will be any system failure, even with regular inspection, there are always factors out of our control. At less than 14 ounces, my climbing harness adds so little extra weight and bulk that it's worth it to me to have the redundancy. I look at it from the POV that if I have everything but that climbing harness already on me (just from the necessity for the climb itself), why not add that extra layer of safety.

This also comes from someone who has already had a 30 foot fall. (As a teen doing crazy stuff.) Broken arm, broken leg, broken ribs, internal bleeding, etc. As deeply as I hunt, I am going to reduce that possibility as much as I can.

How is your maneuverability? Looks like you’re gonna be very restricted.

How is your maneuverability? Looks like you’re gonna be very restricted.
Not restricted at all actually. If I have to move 180 around the tree, I can quickly give 2-3 foot of slack in secondary tether to then move around the tree.

Not restricted at all actually. If I have to move 180 around the tree, I can quickly give 2-3 foot of slack in secondary tether to then move around the tree.

Gotcha!!!!! And stay safe the entire time, I like it.

Haha it really isn't that bad at all. I just like having that secondary tether for extra piece of mind for myself, personally.

Seems that if you REALLY wanted to be redundant (two is one, one is none), the secondary would be to a second tree tether. Twice the ropes, twice the biners!! Lol. Think I'll play with it all off season, and just maintain a tight tether with a backup. I'm running two systems, a rock harness for the lone Wolf and a kite with the predator (when I get them). Thanks for all the help

Seems that if you REALLY wanted to be redundant (two is one, one is none), the secondary would be to a second tree tether. Twice the ropes, twice the biners!! Lol. Think I'll play with it all off season, and just maintain a tight tether with a backup. I'm running two systems, a rock harness for the lone Wolf and a kite with the predator (when I get them). Thanks for all the help
It is. Check out the photo in the original post.

I use predator rope as my tether. I was concerned about the possibility of nicking it with my broadhead. That is.....until I tried to cut it with a razor to shorten it up a bit. That stuff was crazy difficult to cut. There is no way you are going to need a backup for that, particularly if your are tying in to your bridge below your ropeman or prusik.
I do back up with a secondary bridge though.

Back