• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ridge Runner XL opinions

John 35

I’ve been eye balling this platform for a while but there is very little info on it online compared to other platforms. Anyone on here have much experience with it? I use an edp currently and if someone who possibly owns both could post a pic of both of them side by side for a size reference I would greatly appreciate it.

I’ve been eye balling this platform for a while but there is very little info on it online compared to other platforms. Anyone on here have much experience with it? I use an edp currently and if someone who possibly owns both could post a pic of both of them side by side for a size reference I would greatly appreciate it.
@Plebe has one, I’ve always been intrigued by it too, I like large platforms as well, I owned an EDP for a bit, when I was experimenting with all sorts of platforms I found the best thing to do was make a cardboard template for a size reference, I now use an Ambush and have zero desire to switch.

@Plebe has one, I’ve always been intrigued by it too, I like large platforms as well, I owned an EDP for a bit, when I was experimenting with all sorts of platforms I found the best thing to do was make a cardboard template for a size reference, I now use an Ambush and have zero desire to switch.
I don’t think I could make a very accurate template based on what I could find. The ambush looks pretty nice. The RR looked cool to me because there’s no post taking up room on the platform.

I don’t think I could make a very accurate template based on what I could find. The ambush looks pretty nice. The RR looked cool to me because there’s no post taking up room on the platform.

I think I spec'd my mock up working off listed OOAL dimensions and RR measurements from a Mark Dohring Youtube video.

I've got a lot going on at the moment, but I can get you some precise measurements if you need them.

BF0D50CD-8B09-4583-8903-E2013246CC83.pngD3EE1C14-DDE2-432F-8B49-1086726882CB.png0A7805D1-CBAD-4773-8A4B-036D735DE41B.jpeg24556733-CA8F-4A3C-8ABD-38DD5BD6427A.jpegD40CA927-72EA-43FA-A507-B9150C2029A0.jpeg4ED9EE0F-6639-4C7D-85B7-45B69A9C5EE7.jpeg

I went from a RR to an EDP. I know it's not the xl, but I always had trouble getting the RR tight consistently. I was immediately surprised by how easy it was to get the EDP tight and solid compared to the RR. The RR is a solid platform though, it's built great.

I went from a RR to an EDP. I know it's not the xl, but I always had trouble getting the RR tight consistently. I was immediately surprised by how easy it was to get the EDP tight and solid compared to the RR. The RR is a solid platform though, it's built great.
I always like to run an ros on a separate strap and thought I might be able to run it right over the post on the RR for convenience and to make the platform more solid. It looks like the post is flush to the tree in the pictures.

Looks solid. How tight does it cam over? Compared to other platforms you have tried?

Hash browns to Home Fries.

OOAL uses a totally different system. I get it rock solid, but I've seen where some complain that they struggle setting the Ridge Runners. A bit of experience helps with consistency, but it's not rocket science either. The XL has a longer post which probably helps stabilize it even better than the original.

While it isn't as basic as the LW style to set up, thanks to two vertical rows of teeth spanning the length of the post, it holds pretty well even when it's not perfectly set. I've heard it suggested that the platform should be set with the post having some spring, in other words, not fully rolled over flush to the tree. I don't subscribe to that, but weighted that way it's still unlikely to move.

I think most prefer the LW style platform cam action. It is simple and with some of the aggressive teeth on platform 'V's these days, cuts into a tree to aplomb. The Ridge Runners don't operate like that. There's a slight cam over of the post, and then bracketing of the tree (more similar to how a Millennium treestand receiver works actually).

I might even prefer the straightforwardness of a LW cam action, but still, I honestly don't feel it sets a platform any better than a properly set Ridge Runner. And the Ridge Runners seem to handle side and back pressure exceedingly well and will not fold up on you like LW style platforms could.

It looks likes a good system. I years ago I had a seat that cam'd over very similar. It was always solid. I might try one. Another step down the saddle hunting rabbit hole! LOL

I’m going to get one. It’s almost a miniature tree stand minus the long post, seat, and cables which just get in the way imo.

Worked out perfect with my ros on an ocb strap.

Attachments

• 095779C4-A435-455D-B7BF-B4A1001CEC33.png
    095779C4-A435-455D-B7BF-B4A1001CEC33.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • B2FC2E35-27A9-4641-9F9D-BBA7AC9EA02D.png
    B2FC2E35-27A9-4641-9F9D-BBA7AC9EA02D.png
    2 MB · Views: 29
  • 77E9E12E-A302-4F74-B412-CD21F4C15187.png
    77E9E12E-A302-4F74-B412-CD21F4C15187.png
    2 MB · Views: 30
Back