• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ridge runner?

Mattyq2402

I'm in the market, wondering what folks think about the OUt on a limb ridge runner? Anyone seen a demo or tested it? If so how does it compare to the tethrd or any others?

I have a podium and a ridge runner. One is no more solid on the tree than the other, they both cam over and bite in well. One is no more comfortable than the other, they’re both the same basic outline. One is not appreciably lighter or heavier than the other, both around 3 1/2 pounds or so. The major differences are platforms material type, traction and leveling adjustment. The podium platform is two aluminum tubes with an expanded metal top. The ridge runner platform is all solid aluminum strap, with the top punched out along the length of each piece for traction. The Podium is leveled with two small thumb screws against the mounting bracket. The ridge runner is leveled by a single, oversized machined knob that screws out from the mounting bracket and hits against the platform. The podium is just slightly less expensive than the ridge runner, due to more more machine work being required for the ridge runner, as I understand it. Between the two, I would hands down choose the ridge runner. The podium is a great option, but the traction you get from the ridge runner is unbelievable. There’s no wet boot slipping on it at all...period. I’ve stood on a predator platform a few times also. It’s a sweet piece of gear also, but it doesn’t feel as comfortable as my ridge runner, as it’s just a bit narrower. I like the extra width of the podium and RR platforms more so than the extra front to back depth of the predator. All three will bite into the tree hard and will hold side pressure well.

Todd Perkins
-Regional Prostaff Manager for Mossy Oak
-Arcus Hunting Field Staff member
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless something has changed they ship quickly. I got my podium in about a week.

Thanks a bunch for the write up! Hopefully I can catch a sale sometime

I think Matt’s gonna have a sale around the 19th or 20th this month. I’d keep an eye out for it for sure.

Todd Perkins
-Regional Prostaff Manager for Mossy Oak
-Arcus Hunting Field Staff member

I have a predator. I should have a ridge runner getting delivered on Tuesday.

I have a predator and just received my ridge runner. Both bite well into the tree and handle side pressure well. There is one advantage to the predator. You can use the predator with a rope mod or daisy chain. The way the ridge runner is designed to cam over it seems like it will only work well with a cam buckle. But ... the ridge runner has a wider platform and you can stand straight with both feet comfortably. The ridge runner also has incredible traction. It has the best adjustment knob of any platform. It's cheaper. Both are great platforms and have their advantages. Here is a good video displaying the ridge runner.

I have a predator and just received my ridge runner. Both bite well into the tree and handle side pressure well. There is one advantage to the predator. You can use the predator with a rope mod or daisy chain. The way the ridge runner is designed to cam over it seems like it will only work well with a cam buckle. But ... the ridge runner has a wider platform and you can stand straight with both feet comfortably. The ridge runner also has incredible traction. It has the best adjustment knob of any platform. It's cheaper. Both are great platforms and have their advantages. Here is a good video displaying the ridge runner.

Nice review. I just received mine and am very impressed with both how solid it is once attached and how much grip the platform provides on your feet.

6a6795baf0443d0e82950b7062d7edc0.jpg
UPS pulled in at the same time I got home from work. Been using it for 45 min. Pretty impressed so far!

Did ya receive a shipping notice or did it just show up!!

6a6795baf0443d0e82950b7062d7edc0.jpg
UPS pulled in at the same time I got home from work. Been using it for 45 min. Pretty impressed so far!

I'm enjoying mine. It's solid. So far I like the width. It lets you spread your feet apart quite a bit and still stay comfortable. You can't move your feet apart that much on a predator. Just one of the differences.

Is there any way someone can upload some pictures of the ridge runner when its folded up? Also possibly grab some measurements with it folded up (from the front edge of platform to back of bracket) I've got a badlands all day pack and im curios if it will fit in the inner rear pocket of the large compartment. I've got a predator platform on order but im thinking strongly about cancelling it, if I know for a fact that it will fit fine in that pack then im goin that route i believe. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Thanks for the video. I been hunting out of the lone wolf assassin platform for years now, but interested in something lighter. However, I must say that I have yet to see another platform as rock solid as the assassin.

Back