• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Roll pouch or dump pouch for repelling ropes?

Rutman

SH Member
Which one do you guys like use? It seems like 40ft of rope is a lot in a dump pouch…and a roll pouch would be better. I’m switching over to one sticking and putting everything together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I basically stopped carrying stuff on my saddle like that. I put my rappel rope either in a side pouch on my backpack or use the roll pouch to keep it organized and attach it to my backpack, it doesn’t get used til your at the base of the tree so why have it hanging on your saddle and making it sag while walking in and out. IMO!? :)

Last edited:
I’ve had no issue with the dump pouch figure eight and fold in half and leave the first 6’ to climb with. When I’m ready to rappel down I just drop the remaining rope down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made one that is kind of dump/roll combo. It’s a mesh pouch inside of a roll pouch. I love it. Just coil the rope, stick it in the mesh, roll and clip. It was from an old CGM video on YouTube. If you don’t sew, I’m sure if you contact Custom Gear Modifications he would build you one. I also added loose molly loops for carabiner with madrock, pull down line, ect.

Roll pouch for me, holds rappel line, pull down line, gear strap w/ bow hook, and madrock. Rolled up nice and tight it doesn't sag my TX5 lonestar.

I love it. Just coil the rope, stick it in the mesh, roll and clip. It was from an old CGM video on YouTube.
got a link? Their channel only has 8 videos and none of them appear to be the one

I second beastons pouch, I keep everything right there ready to go. I tried the dump pouch thing and to me it was faster using a roll pouch but that’s just my opinion.

Another @beaston roll pouch fan. JRB is using some cool looking dump pouches in one of his latest vids. I have a small dump pouch opposite side of the roll pouch for gear hanger, backband and let down cord.
My roll up pouch has my rappel rope and separate tether rolled up. In The zippered sections I keep extra friction loops, amsteel daisy rescue cord, a carabiner and an extra S hook in case I drop something.

It really comes down to your preference. I’ve used both roll and dump and also a stuff pouch. Dump/drop pouches are nice as you just pull the cinch and it all falls out the bottom. Downside is if you don’t secure it to your leg it’ll slap you silly on the hike in if you wear your saddle. If you do secure it now it feels like you have a sloth/koala/toddler hanging off your leg. Custom Gear Modifications make a couple flavors that are excellent kit.
Roll pouches are nice cause for same reason as dump pouches with the added benefit line management is a bit easier especially if you use @beaston roll pouch which I’d highly recommend. You just wind your line up and secure it with a strap/tie down, job done. Downside to me is they tend to be long and so you end up with a footlongish pouch hanging horizontally off your saddle. If you’re using a long rappel line (35’ or more and/or thick line) it tends to not bend very well and I found my saddle wasn’t fitting the way I liked. YMMV.
My advice would be to try both. Both are good just suits your style. Whichever you don’t like flip it. Or keep it as backup. CGM v2 drop out bag I believe has provisions for mounting both vertically and horizontal IIRC.

In the tree when using as my tether - excess coiled into dump pouch. I like the idea of a roll pouch but yet to find one that truly works decently one-handed.

Transport - coil it up and put it in my pack or strap it to my stand. Other stuff goes in my dump pouch.

I'm still using the old condor nalgene carrier for my rope, it works ok but I'm likely going to ditch it and just put my rope in my backpack

I'm still using the old condor nalgene carrier for my rope, it works ok but I'm likely going to ditch it and just put my rope in my backpack
Same here. It works pretty slick if you actually flake all of the line into the pouch so it can pay out as you rappel, but if you are efficient and just coil the rope and stuff it in the patch its easier to just throw it in the pack and quit fooling with it. Coiling the rope is 100% better than standing at the base of the tree in the dark feeding line back into the pouch for 10 minutes after an evening hunt

Same here. It works pretty slick if you actually flake all of the line into the pouch so it can pay out as you rappel, but if you are efficient and just coil the rope and stuff it in the patch its easier to just throw it in the pack and quit fooling with it. Coiling the rope is 100% better than standing at the base of the tree in the dark feeding line back into the pouch for 10 minutes after an evening hunt
Especially when the wolves' howls are getting closer....

OP, do you like things nice and tight and tidy, or are you the type to throw things in your bag and get out of the woods after a hunt, and clean up later? I have a large dump pouch with rappel set-up on one saddle, and a Beaston roll pouch on another saddle. I wear suspenders on my saddle so saddle sag isn't really an issue for me. At the end of the hunt I always figure 8 my rope over my arm and fold to put away, regardless of which pouch I use. Generally I prefer things neat and tidy in the roll pouch. Some days I just want to stuff it in the dump pouch and get out of the woods.

I will say that it takes some flexibility/mobility to be able to rotate my body enough to get my roll pouch put away how I like, especially when wearing more layers. The more I use it, the more the loops stay open and I can find them with the G-hooks one-handedly, but occasionally it is an annoyance. Just some food for thought if you lack in the mobility department.

Exactly. And I feel like coiling it and putting it in the bag will make getting down and moving to a new spot at any time of day less "annoying". The more I can streamline the more I'll actually use a saddle as intended-mobile.

Back