• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ropeman 1 on tether

Whitetail Nut

What’s everyone thoughts on using a ropeman 1 on your tether? I have been using one but just not sure if I trust it enough over using a prusik. Also I have read people say not to use the ropeman 1 on tether. As much input on this would be greatly appreciated.

I thought about backing the ropeman up with a purssik but not sure if that’s needed. Lol

We use 2 prussiks on a belay line and a hard grab on a haul line in my fire department. Redundancy is not always a bad thing. I do not back mine up as I feel extremely safe that it will not fail, especially not fail past the stopper. But again, do what makes you comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To clarify. We use a Gibbs ascender to haul. It’s essentially the same kind of thing as the ropeman. So we consider it a hard grab, which does do more damage to the rope, especially when shock loaded. The prussik is a soft grab. If we shock load a rope it goes out of service, that’s with hard or soft grab.

Saddles are not fall arrest systems and we are using static lines, a shock load will be severe even on a short fall, so try to always keep slack out of your line.

Stay safe, happy hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like prusiks. Between carabiners, my bow and release, raptor buckles, rangefinder, cam buckles, OnX, blah blah blah...I have too many “devices” to worry about as it is. I think I just appreciate the simplicity of the caveman approach whenever I can use it, and the reliability of non-mechanical devices. I’m sure RM1 is super dependable and safe. I just don’t have any desire to use it. I feel like the knot is almost a living part of my system.

This year I went back to a prusik on my tether after using a rm1 last year. As soon as I get in the tree I set up where I like my bridge and forget about it the rest of the hunt so I really don't need the "easy" and "quick" adjustability. Since I "hang" from the tether all day I like having a rope to rope connection knowing neither is being harmed, something I'm not sure is true with the rm1 "pinching" the tether and it's effects over time. Other benefits of a prusik are it's silence and slight weight savings.
On the other hand my linesman belt proudly wears a rm1...

I’ve been using a RM1 on my tether for 3 years or so with no problem. Used prussiks for years before that - I found that when my ropes got wet the prussik basically seized up and was REALLY hard to move. May have just been the type of rope I was using, but...

Anyway, I am well aware of how a RM can fray rope in a fall so I keep slack out of my system as much as possible. I feel confident in it, but that’s just me. Do what makes you comfortable and confident.

I am a noob who has not yet got into a saddle (waiting on my Kestrel Flex), however, I've been trying to soak up as much as possible on safety, best climbing/hanging methods, etc. I came across this vid that is right on this topic. Food for thought.

These guys may post on this site already.

I am a noob who has not yet got into a saddle (waiting on my Kestrel Flex), however, I've been trying to soak up as much as possible on safety, best climbing/hanging methods, etc. I came across this vid that is right on this topic. Food for thought.

Scott is the man.

IF using a ropeman, you should never open the gate as they did in that video while the rope is under tension. Release weight from the ropeman before attamepting to ever open the gate.

I use a ropeman on my teather and linesman. I would never go back. I always use a stopper knot and a loop/prussic on my tether as a backup once set. NEVER had a problem.
T

They make some very good points in this video including people should never sacrifice safety for meer ounces. The bottom line is those that do this day in and day out want the safest most foolproof system they can find and won't compromise on safety for convenience. We all know mistakes happen in the field and we all should do our best to reduce the chance of a mistake turning into a tragedy.

So I think the message here is if you use the Ropeman 1 be careful and use caution especially when putting slack into your tree rope or tether. Another thing I would do is tie a figure eight on a bight at the end of your tree rope and run it through your bridge and attach it to the carabiner. That way if the Ropeman 1 should fail you are still attached to the tree rope.

Good Hunting....

Back