• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ropeman question

NWPA22

I ordered my Tethr'd Mantis saddle a couple months ago, still patiently waiting... ok not so patiently, anyway I am new to this and have a question for the group regarding the Ropeman vs the prusik knot on your tether. Being that the Ropeman is mechanical is there any concern that the device could break? I am not familiar with how it works but was wondering if this could be a failure point, vs a prusik knot that cinches down under pressure. Also if the Ropeman did fail would you still be connected to the tree?

My understanding is that the documented mode of failure is actually severing of the rope, and not destruction of the actual device. I believe this is the common method of failure across mechanical devices.

You're "supposed" to back it up according to common consensus here. According to the manufacturer, you're not supposed to use it for life support at all. I know I hunted with one sans-backup a few times, and I see a lot of pics of guys doing the same.

Some clip the tag end of their tether into their bridge. This protects against device breakage, but not against rope severing.

A ropeman is easier to adjust, and I still use one on my linemans. But I switched over to an 18kn austrialpin buckle and 18kn tubular webbing as my tether. I personally feel more comfortable with it. I would also feel comfortable with a good, old-fashioned friction knot.

Anything can fail. Most of us don't incorporate redundancy into our tether. Kinda unnerving, but it's just how it is.

You could probably spend all day researching that one question on this site alone. Some guys love them, some hate them. On one hand it's not made to be a fall arresting device, on the other we're probably not really "falling". I would recommend reading as much as you can before making the decision. Personally, I run a rope man 1 on both my linesmans and my tree tether. But having said that, I run the tag end of each line to the biner in the off chance they fail. Been using a rope man 2 (with Petzel rope, DIYSPORTSMAN-STYLE from years ago) with my rock harness for lock ons. Good luck and good reading!! LOL

My understanding is that the documented mode of failure is actually severing of the rope, and not destruction of the actual device. I believe this is the common method of failure across mechanical devices.

You're "supposed" to back it up according to common consensus here. According to the manufacturer, you're not supposed to use it for life support at all. I know I hunted with one sans-backup a few times, and I see a lot of pics of guys doing the same.

Some clip the tag end of their tether into their bridge. This protects against device breakage, but not against rope severing.

A ropeman is easier to adjust, and I still use one on my linemans. But I switched over to an 18kn austrialpin buckle and 18kn tubular webbing as my tether. I personally feel more comfortable with it. I would also feel comfortable with a good, old-fashioned friction knot.

Anything can fail. Most of us don't incorporate redundancy into our tether. Kinda unnerving, but it's just how it is.
Thanks @Nutterbuster I enjoy reading your replies to...well... everything lol

You could probably spend all day researching that one question on this site alone. Some guys love them, some hate them. On one hand it's not made to be a fall arresting device, on the other we're probably not really "falling". I would recommend reading as much as you can before making the decision. Personally, I run a rope man 1 on both my linesmans and my tree tether. But having said that, I run the tag end of each line to the biner in the off chance they fail. Been using a rope man 2 (with Petzel rope, DIYSPORTSMAN-STYLE from years ago) with my rock harness for lock ons. Good luck and good reading!! LOL
Thanks @Islandshooter there is so much information I sometimes just want to start fresh! I keep hearing that "it is not made to be a fall arrest device" that is what got me thinking about it in the first place. I appreciate your input, just want to do my due diligence before I climb for the first time. Happy Hunting this season!

This thread has all the info you need: https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/why-can’t-i-use-a-ropeman-1-as-my-primary-stop-on-tether.8258/

lots of different opinions on the ropeman, so you will have to do what you feel comfortable with. Educate yourself and make the best decisions for you.
That was perfect,thanks! Every time I get into something new on here like this I am constantly referencing what some of these terms mean lol someday I will be able to follow these threads without Google.....maybe! haha

Fall restraint is a class of personal protective equipment to prevent persons who are in a fall hazard area from falling, e.g., fall restraint lanyards. Typically, fall restraint will physically prevent a worker from approaching an edge.

Fall arrest is the form of fall protection that stops a person who has fallen.

So the Ropeman is not for "Fall Arrest", meaning they are not meant to catch you if you are already falling. If you keep tension on the Ropeman it will hold your weight and is an appropriate use of the device.

Video shows a Distal Friction Hitch instead of a Prussic. (Use a spliced hitch cord) Placing the carabiner as shown it acts like a slack tender kind of. If you actually use a tender it makes the knot more forgiving after it is under load and VERY easy to operate with one hand yet holds as good or better than a Prussic. The Prussic really locks up and you need a lot of effort to free it up after you have a load on it and want to move the knot. Much better than a Prussic IMO. 2 videos below. I need to make one with a non-micro pulley tender.

Distal Hitch with Carabiner tender
Distal Instructions

As soon as you leave the ground you’re taking a risk. Everyone needs to weigh those risks and do what they’re comfortable with. Statistically you’re more likely to get in a car accident on your way to your hunting spot than having the ropeman fail. But anything is possible.

I like to use a prussic between the girth hitch around the tree and ropeman clipped into biner on my tether once I'm in position. It's simple and gives me piece of mind. I also tie a bowline around my bridge if I have enough tail.'

As soon as you leave the ground you’re taking a risk. Everyone needs to weigh those risks and do what they’re comfortable with. Statistically you’re more likely to get in a car accident on your way to your hunting spot than having the ropeman fail. But anything is possible.

:tearsofjoy:

I ordered my Tethr'd Mantis saddle a couple months ago, still patiently waiting... ok not so patiently, anyway I am new to this and have a question for the group regarding the Ropeman vs the prusik knot on your tether. Being that the Ropeman is mechanical is there any concern that the device could break? I am not familiar with how it works but was wondering if this could be a failure point, vs a prusik knot that cinches down under pressure. Also if the Ropeman did fail would you still be connected to the tree?
Back it up with a prusik knot

You should never introduce slack into your system on either your tether or LB. Obviously it's impossible to keep 100% of the slack out of your ropes 100% of the time. However, I've done some unnofficial, back yard, Bubba testing with the Ropeman and as long as you're not in a free fall scenario, the Ropeman will hold you.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back