• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ruger 10/22 for truck camper shell camping self defense

raisins

SH Member
I'm probably going to camp a few times by myself in the back of my truck in some remote areas.

If I have to fire a centerfire handgun or other high pressure round in the back of my truck, I'm pretty sure it will cause permanent, probably severe hearing damage in that tight of a space that is well sealed up.

I'm considering as my primary defense gun sleeping in the truck to be a Ruger 10/22 with a Ruger brand 25 round magazine and high quality CCI ammo for increased power and reliability. I'll have my 45 nearby in case needed.

Thoughts? I'm pretty sure a 25 round mag dump will end most human threats.

I'd say that first you're preparing for an extremely unlikely occurrence. Risk assessment yadda yadda bad intuition etcetera etcetera.

Then I'd say that I have a buckmark and it's spent many nights in the truck and tent with me and is my bedside gun. I bought it because a self defense gun should hopefully never be shot, but a 22 is fun.

I can unload into a torso at 15 yards pretty quickly. If you can eat that and keep coming, i guess I tried.

I think in the middle of the night I need to pull the trigger.... I am send 45 cal downrange and dealing with the ring instead of dealing with a coffin. That would be the only reason to send one down range. Besides that do you think you will really be shooting from inside the cap?

I'd say that first you're preparing for an extremely unlikely occurrence. Risk assessment yadda yadda bad intuition etcetera etcetera.

Then I'd say that I have a buckmark and it's spent many nights in the truck and tent with me and is my bedside gun. I bought it because a self defense gun should hopefully never be shot, but a 22 is fun.

I can unload into a torso at 15 yards pretty quickly. If you can eat that and keep coming, i guess I tried.

eh...decision theory says multiply risk by how bad the outcome is (in a very brief nutshell).....makes sense to me that the two offset each other.....i only prep for rare stuff if the outcome is potentially really bad

for instance, i know how to perform an emergency tracheotomy (actually a cricoidotomy) after someone almost choked to death in front of me (rare but bad)....and have a spyderco ladybug on my keychain....also have a glass breaker in my vehicle (rare but bad)

I think in the middle of the night I need to pull the trigger.... I am send 45 cal downrange and dealing with the ring instead of dealing with a coffin. That would be the only reason to send one down range. Besides that do you think you will really be shooting from inside the cap?

that's where i'm going to be sleeping, i doubt they'll let me get out and settle myself

i have mild but permanent ear ringing over a single incident, so i know that your ears don't always bounce back....if it was even worse it would drive me crazy

eh...decision theory says multiply risk by how bad the outcome is.....makes sense to me that the two offset each other.....i only prep for rare stuff if the outcome is potentially really bad

for instance, i know how to perform an emergency tracheotomy (actually a cricoidotomy) after someone almost choked to death in front of me (rare but bad)
Fair. For me the math to buy a designated gun for saving my hearing in the event of a lethal altercation truck camping seems to require the input of wanting a new gun anyway.

I'd vote 22 pistol though. Long gun inside tight quarters seems not ideal. Both would be equally fun plinking at cans and bunnies. Or buy the 10 22 if you don't have one for no other reason than they're good and fun to own guns

Fair. For me the math to buy a designated gun for saving my hearing in the event of a lethal altercation truck camping seems to require the input of wanting a new gun anyway.

I'd vote 22 pistol though. Long gun inside tight quarters seems not ideal. Both would be equally fun plinking at cans and bunnies

already have the 10/22...just bought the mags though

I hear what you are saying (see what I did there). Back to what nutterbuster said, what are the odds of that happening and where the hell are you hunting that that might be a concern???? I would definitely go with a handgun though. If you are that worried about it, get a suppressor for your 45 and call it a day.
And get the . 46 cal can so you can use it on everything. That is what I am doing.

If you go .22 try and find some CCI velocitor or something similar. The velocitor has a 40 grain bullet similar to the Speer gold dot.

A 22lr has killed more deer in this country than anything else. It is a devastating round.

I keep my 10-22 mag loaded for my house, i don't care about my hearing as much as my neighbors houses. If an intruder can absorb a .22 round, that's fine, I got 25 more for then haha

I’m my experience a pistol with a light is hard to beat. Anything with high linens at night is going to completely disorient anyone buying you time to run a six round rhythm drill k to their torso. So caliber is up to you but unless you’re shopping subsonic the decibels will still be pretty rough, almost like the Misznay–Schardin effect in explosives.

Back