• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle or Bust?

Limbbender

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I have said it many times already, but I am a greenhorn when it comes to saddles. I have watched every YouTube video I can find, been reading as many how-to posts and everything else I. An get my hands on.

I picked up a sitdrag and rock harness from a member on here and am looking forward to trying it as soon as I can get my bridge setup.

I said all this to ask...How many of you use Saddles only? I love the concept and can't help but to be excited about my first hunt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Limbbender

Oct 25, 2017
I bought an XOP Vanish last year and used it a couple times. Saddles just seem to make sense. I don't have the funds at the moment for a Mantis, but have thought long and hard about selling the stand to help purchase one.

benny a gregoire jr.

Dec 4, 2017
Gonzales, louisiana
I bought an XOP Vanish last year and used it a couple times. Saddles just seem to make sense. I don't have the funds at the moment for a Mantis, but have thought long and hard about selling the stand to help purchase one.

Me either. I got a bloodsport stand and muddy sticks im tryna sell to fund some wildedge steps.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Limbbender

benny a gregoire jr.

Dec 4, 2017
Gonzales, louisiana
I have someone. Buying my Muddy Aerolites and am gonna get the Wildedge steps as well. Just haven't convinced myself to sell my stand yet...

I just cant see packing that much weight anymore. I think about all the times i said this tree looks good just bc i was tired of packing. The muddy sticks limit my height. Im 6'2" and can stretch a step.

Limbbender

Oct 25, 2017
I hear ya on the weight. I hunt lots of conservation land and tend tonwalk in a ways. Less weight would be great!

benny a gregoire jr.

Dec 4, 2017
Gonzales, louisiana
Im all public, so all my walks are long or in the swamp. It makes everything simpler.

The deer in my profile pic is y i started looking into saddle hunting. I shot him 400yds from my boat. That was the longest walk in with a climber. I sunk to my nuts 3x. It just isnt practical to carry a stand there.

Cory T

Mar 6, 2018
At the end of the 17/18 season I had 8 treestand setups ready to go. Im always looking for lighter setups and better ways to carry my gear. I pack my meat out 90% of the time so that usually means a couple 2+ mile trips. February 2018 changed that when I discovered saddle hunting. After a ton of research and countless videos and podcasts I sold all but one stand and purchased the kestrel. I haven't hunted from it yet but after hanging and practicing in the yard a couple hours a week it's the only way I plan to hunt. Funny thing is the budy I sold 3 of the stands to now wants a saddle lol.

benny a gregoire jr.

Dec 4, 2017
Gonzales, louisiana
At the end of the 17/18 season I had 8 treestand setups ready to go. Im always looking for lighter setups and better ways to carry my gear. I pack my meat out 90% of the time so that usually means a couple 2+ mile trips. February 2018 changed that when I discovered saddle hunting. After a ton of research and countless videos and podcasts I sold all but one stand and purchased the kestrel. I haven't hunted from it yet but after hanging and practicing in the yard a couple hours a week it's the only way I plan to hunt. Funny thing is the budy I sold 3 of the stands to now wants a saddle lol.
Same thing buddys that bought stands are looking at saddles now.

PJC

Dec 26, 2016
I took down all my tree stands after last season. Planning to go all in on saddle hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Limbbender

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the comments! I guess I was just looking for confirmation I wasn't the only one thinking like this. I may have to get some more stuff together to sell.

Limbbender

Oct 25, 2017
The deer in my profile pic is y i started looking into saddle hunting. I shot him 400yds from my boat. That was the longest walk in with a climber. I sunk to my nuts 3x. It just isnt practical to carry a stand there.

That would be enough to make anyone want to be more mobile with lighter equipment. I have been loading my stuff on a game cart and dragging it in on some of the conservation, but going with a saddle I think it would fix that.

elk yinzer

SH Member
Oct 23, 2017
State College, PA
Not I. I couldn’t fully commit. I’ll be running 3 setups this year.

1 - Full on saddlehunter setup – This is for my long hauls, over a mile, and busting serious brush. Maybe 25% of my hunts, but importantly a lot of my key rut hunts. Either the Mantis or Meshtral with DIY platform similar to the Predator, with an MR popup pack and 3-4 Hawk Helium Sticks. Base weight here is about 16 pounds plus clothes and water/food.

2 - Hybrid hang-on setup. This will probably cover 75% of my hunts. Most of my hunts are within a half mile of the truck and I see no reason to stand on a platform the size of a shoebox when my 85 year old grandma could carry a normal size stand that far. Just picked up this XOP air raid, and the first thing I did was pop the seat off of it. Shaves a couple pounds but more importantly I couldn’t tolerate how the seat protruded past the platform. I had an Xstand, and it is a good stand, but the big difference with the Air Raid is I love that usable platform space close to the tree.

So two gamechangers here, first I popped that seat off and I’ll use a saddle when I need to relieve my legs. As a treestand hunter I always stood/leaned against the tree most of the time anyway. Second, I am going all-out with the suspension on this bad boy. I did the MOLLE mod years back before it was cool. It was way better than ridiculous mfg straps, but was never fully impressed with it. Here I harvested the suspension off my Kelty Cache hauler, and I haven’t finalized this yet, but on my first mockup it is AWESOME to carry. Huge upgrade over the MOLLE straps. Going to incorporate some type of backpad and work on getting the load lifters in better position, but this is tremendous so far.

Also deploying this with the Heliums, and it is crazy how compact it is for a treestand with a good size platform. I need to get it on the scales when I finish the suspension mods. I am thinking base weight, it is going to come in within a few pounds of my purist saddlehunter-approved setup. Hoping I can hit 19 lbs.

Capture.JPG
Capture - 2.JPG

3 - Option 3 is trusty old Summit Climber. In the very crappiest of weather is when it gets called into the game. I find climbing sticks to be rather miserable when it is raining sideways and 33 degrees out, that kinda stuff. I am not a fair weather hunter. I’ve also spent a bunch of all day sits in this thing, and I’m not yet sure how a saddle is going to handle 12 hours, 5 days in a row. The climber is a comfort zone when things go to crap. I think as the years pass I will eventually sell it, but for now it still has that niche carved out in my lineup.