• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle safety PSA

this is why i wear a reasonably comfortable saddle but keep my belt and leg straps pretty tight....thanks for the reminder that none of us are immune to this....heck, i tripped over my shoe and landed funny on the couch last week and kind of hurt my back....similar things can happen at height, especially if going on autopilot/tired/mad/etc

this is why i wear a reasonably comfortable saddle but keep my belt and leg straps pretty tight....thanks for the reminder that none of us are immune to this....heck, i tripped over my shoe and landed funny on the couch last week and kind of hurt my back....similar things can happen at height, especially if going on autopilot/tired/mad/etc
Complacency will get yah

Great video. Thank you for sharing this. Is that you in the video? What are you hunting there? Looks awesome. I not a big tropics person but man I would totally be into taking my wife there and getting a few hunts in too.

Great video. Thank you for sharing this. Is that you in the video? What are you hunting there? Looks awesome. I not a big tropics person but man I would totally be into taking my wife there and getting a few hunts in too.

i hunt mostly blacktail at this spot from July- February but a few big pigs also hold the fort downal as well. I got 14 different deer hitting this joint up during rut pretty often. Been chasing this big 5x4 for 2 years here but so far he only daylighted once 30 mins before shooting light ended and didn’t give me a shot opportunity

I can appreciate this video. It’s also why I do not make my leg straps removable. If made correctly they should not ride up or squeeze your “boys” and if they are left lose while walking they shouldn’t impede with wearing the saddle in. So I am glad you shared this story BUT it leads me to ask questions involving your slip. How were you positioned? Were you making a shot on the back side of the tree and leaning off the top of the platform? Were you making a weak side shot and twisted on the platform? Or were you possibly hanging off the front side trying to make an aggressive downward angle shot? I would just like to understand the details that lead to you going inverted

I can appreciate this video. It’s also why I do not make my leg straps removable. If made correctly they should not ride up or squeeze your “boys” and if they are left lose while walking they shouldn’t impede with wearing the saddle in. So I am glad you shared this story BUT it leads me to ask questions involving your slip. How were you positioned? Were you making a shot on the back side of the tree and leaning off the top of the platform? Were you making a weak side shot and twisted on the platform? Or were you possibly hanging off the front side trying to make an aggressive downward angle shot? I would just like to understand the details that lead to you going inverted

i've gone for a ride on leaning trees before when i setup on the gravity side (never again).....it was the best setup for the spot and i thought i could handle it, and i could have if i'd just stood on the platform.....one wrong move and i was hanging on the wrong side of the tree....wasn't upside down though

I was making a 10:30-11 o’clock weak side shot pivoting off my platform that was slightly slippery from a recent drizzle. I’m usually double tethered in from two angles when I’m set up on crooked trees, however it’s been since November since I’ve been hunting due to broken ribs from tow surfing (missed most of the best of our season, 1st & 2nd rut). I was eager to get set up when I arrived and was too complacent about my set up with out a secondary tether in a tree I normally run 2 in.... when it happened I was so excited and focused on the pig I totally forgot how I was set up and went to lean and pivot while at full draw and gravity reminded me whose boss..... shot opportunity was at 35 yards so not really aggressive angle.... I’m now re-spraying my platform with this stuff we use on our windsurf boards for traction and adding a few squirrel steps in the arsenal (don’t really use sticks at this tree as it’s far and I usually just climb with a foot loop).

lesson learned!

I just wanted to remind all the folks just getting comfortable that safety shouldn’t be second to comfort....

Thanks for sharing your story. It’s a great reminder to stay safety vigilant. I would never have thought of tethering in that way. I would have looked at that tree and thought it would never work. I’ll have to learn to think outside the box, SAFELY!

Glad you're not too banged up. Good reminder as I was considering modding some leg straps.

Did you say tow surfing and hunting from July to Feb?
I really need to get out to the Islands.

Glad you’re okay. People complain about tree stand harnesses but I honestly feel more secure with both leg and shoulder straps. My biggest fear with a saddle is what you described. I think sometimes there’s a false sense of security until something happens.

I was making a 10:30-11 o’clock weak side shot pivoting off my platform that was slightly slippery from a recent drizzle. I’m usually double tethered in from two angles when I’m set up on crooked trees, however it’s been since November since I’ve been hunting due to broken ribs from tow surfing (missed most of the best of our season, 1st & 2nd rut). I was eager to get set up when I arrived and was too complacent about my set up with out a secondary tether in a tree I normally run 2 in.... when it happened I was so excited and focused on the pig I totally forgot how I was set up and went to lean and pivot while at full draw and gravity reminded me whose boss..... shot opportunity was at 35 yards so not really aggressive angle.... I’m now re-spraying my platform with this stuff we use on our windsurf boards for traction and adding a few squirrel steps in the arsenal (don’t really use sticks at this tree as it’s far and I usually just climb with a foot loop).

lesson learned!

I just wanted to remind all the folks just getting comfortable that safety shouldn’t be second to comfort....
Thank you for the details, I bet that slip and invert was a sphincter tightening experience to say the least. As you said always wear those leg straps and cinch your waist belt! I am glad you weren’t injured and that you shared the warning with all of us. Adding the squirrel steps to get around to weak side will definitely help make the weak side shot safer. Hope you get that hog my friend!

i've gone for a ride on leaning trees before when i setup on the gravity side (never again).....it was the best setup for the spot and i thought i could handle it, and i could have if i'd just stood on the platform.....one wrong move and i was hanging on the wrong side of the tree....wasn't upside down though
On learners, I often keep a linesman rope on to help alleviate the pull of gravity and also this is where I love squirrel steps even with a platform, I ring of steps helps keep some form of solid footing underneath you when going for that back side or weak side shot!

IMO... Everyone should practice slipping on their platform or what ever at ground level. Yeah. You might bang your shins a little, or bump your knee into the tree. But really get a sense of how it feels to fall off the platform. It was one of the first things I did when I got my saddle. I swung around the tree like a monkey. Seeing how it responded, and how I did. I know it's different with a bow. My doe I shot last year I was spun around shooting at about 7oclock on the tree on my smaller UP platform. I was fine while my bow was drawn because I was more rigid. After i let the arrow go, my body relaxed some, and the tree had a slight lean away. So I was slightly high side. I couldn't keep my balance, so just sat into my saddle, and let my self swing back into the tree some. I had a feel and idea how my body and saddle would carry me. So just picked my feet up slightly so I sat into it and bumped back into the tree. It wasen't a hard hit. My only problem was trying to watch her run and die. But I do believe screwing around with my saddle and seeing how it responded gave me a better reaction. If I would have panicked some and reached forward for the tree, I could see how I may have went forward and tipped pretty easy.
Anyway. Just my thoughts.

Glad you're not too banged up. Good reminder as I was considering modding some leg straps.

Did you say tow surfing and hunting from July to Feb?
I really need to get out to the Islands.

yup! Usually only can tow in the winter when swells start cranking but Hunting can be year round if you like. I gave up hunting goats and pigs to focus on blacktail so I do a lot more scouting then hunting. When I scout I tend to leave my bow at home so I can just focus on finding great spots to hunt later since the deer zones are so far from my house. I will try to get a pig if the moon is right but I have spots closer to home for that.

our family never runs out of meat.... when we visit family on the other islands I tend to bring my bow and a cooler to stock up on variety, sheep from big island and axis from Molokai are usually on our hit list

IMO... Everyone should practice slipping on their platform or what ever at ground level. Yeah. You might bang your shins a little, or bump your knee into the tree. But really get a sense of how it feels to fall off the platform. It was one of the first things I did when I got my saddle. I swung around the tree like a monkey. Seeing how it responded, and how I did. I know it's different with a bow. My doe I shot last year I was spun around shooting at about 7oclock on the tree on my smaller UP platform. I was fine while my bow was drawn because I was more rigid. After i let the arrow go, my body relaxed some, and the tree had a slight lean away. So I was slightly high side. I couldn't keep my balance, so just sat into my saddle, and let my self swing back into the tree some. I had a feel and idea how my body and saddle would carry me. So just picked my feet up slightly so I sat into it and bumped back into the tree. It wasen't a hard hit. My only problem was trying to watch her run and die. But I do believe screwing around with my saddle and seeing how it responded gave me a better reaction. If I would have panicked some and reached forward for the tree, I could see how I may have went forward and tipped pretty easy.
Anyway. Just my thoughts.
Totally agree.... now I just need to practice slipping at full draw and not shoot my neighbors house

Totally agree.... now I just need to practice slipping at full draw and not shoot my neighbors house

if you don't might be good to start carrying a foot loop on your person to self rescue

in my left cargo pocket I have: 8 foot 7/64" amsteel daisy chain for a foot loop, rescue whistle, headlamp, and small knife....cell phone in right cargo pocket or satellite rescue beacon if really out in the woods out of cell service

Last edited:
yup! Usually only can tow in the winter when swells start cranking but Hunting can be year round if you like. I gave up hunting goats and pigs to focus on blacktail so I do a lot more scouting then hunting. When I scout I tend to leave my bow at home so I can just focus on finding great spots to hunt later since the deer zones are so far from my house. I will try to get a pig if the moon is right but I have spots closer to home for that.

our family never runs out of meat.... when we visit family on the other islands I tend to bring my bow and a cooler to stock up on variety, sheep from big island and axis from Molokai are usually on our hit list
That’s a pretty ideal set up! I take a surf trip most years, this year is Nicaragua. I haven’t been to Hawaii actually as I want to spend at least 2 weeks out there after that fly time. Plus cost of taking the whole family out.
It’s tentative for 2023 but who knows…
Kauai has always been top of the list.
Be safe. Cheers

if you don't might be good to start carrying a foot loop on your person to self rescue

in my left cargo pocket I have: 8 foot 7/64" amsteel daisy chain for a foot loop, rescue whistle, and small knife....cell phone in right cargo pocket or satellite rescue beacon if really out in the woods out of cell service
Yup been climbing with a foot loop before it became a thing! 2tc 4 lyfeeeeee..... but seriously I should keep a daisy and small knife in my pocket just in case! Always have a satellite phone since there is no reception in my neck of the woods

Back