• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle with my lower back

Saddlenoobie

Hello everyone! I am looking into saddle hunting again. I was all gear up but after saddle hunting with my tethered setup it fired up my lower back bad. I have a disc that is pretty swollen and have been thinking about a mobile stand setup or maybe there is another saddle that would help support more. Now I know someone may have a silly comment about not being in a stand but just for reference I climb towers and hang off big steel structures for hours in a full harness. Yes I’m sore but it’s more supportive on my rear than my lower back. Can’t wait to hear suggestions I have no saddle in mind yet just thinking of getting a lwcg 1.0 mobile stand if no saddle fits the bill

Have you tried a 2 panel? I have back issues myself and my back feels nothing but relieved everytime I hang to hunt. When I had a single panel I would get a little stiff after long hunts but after switching to an ess I’d arguably say that I’m more comfortable in the tree than I am on the couch

If you can, as suggested above try a 2 panel, but also in conjunction with a ring of steps. Here's why. I have a Recon 2 panel and I use a ring of steps. I am primarily a sitter, not a leaner. A ring of steps brings your center of gravity closer to the tree, so you are having to exert less energy to stay back from the tree. Place your tether about forehead height and that will allow you to lean forward some in the saddle in a sitting position. This puts your back in a relaxed forward position. When I do this, I find that I am not using my back muscles to stabilize me. They are relaxed. If I lean, I find my back muscles are working to keep my upper body stationary.

I agree about using an ros and straddling the tree for comfort. It also brings your body in closer to the trunk and helps hide you. I’m not a believer in the leaning out makes you look like a tree limb thing. I use a platform and ros combo.

I have something in my lower back (moderate left leg sciatica that comes and goes on a daily basis) they can't figure out really (if you ask the doctors questions to cut through what they do when they don't know....which is blow smoke). I've done some research and the one thing I know is a lot of back issues are very complex and not understood well.

So, you have to figure out for yourself which bodily positions are good for your back and which are not and what support is best, etc.

Sitting in a relaxed fashion without strong back support keeping the s bend in your lower back greatly increases the pressure on your discs. One common reason is that this position allows your spinal erector and other associated muscles to relax, which allows your weight to shift onto the discs rather than being held by the muscle.

As such, for me personally, I am much better off standing/leaning and even moving around a bit. I find that leaning at a slight angle with no back band and excellent posture (keep watching myself and do not allow myself to slump) is the most comfortable position for me. This is similar to leaning your butt back against a kitchen counter at a minor angle. Therefore, a 2 panel is wasted on me and I just need the most comfortable leaning saddle (which for me is a 1 panel with expansion pleat). I sit a few times in a day of hunting, stand up totally on my Predator a few times, and shift a little bit...but vast majority of time is leaning.

I might be able to figure out how to use a back band to keep that s bend in the lower back, but so far it isn't working as well as what I described above.

That is a long winded way to say: listen to everyone here but you're gonna have to pay attention to your own body and try several things out until you find what works for you.

Last edited:
I have back issues and found using an aerohunter flex with a battle belt attached above it really gave me a lot of relief. I can sit as long as I want compared to two hour maximum in the hang on stands.

I have had severe back issues for years, and the JX 3 hybrid combined with a small lumbar pillow is the ticket for me. I have done many all day sits, and that would not be possible for me in a soft saddle.

I have had severe back issues for years, and the JX 3 hybrid combined with a small lumbar pillow is the ticket for me. I have done many all day sits, and that would not be possible for me in a soft saddle.

would a lumbar pillow against a tree using a hang on stand work for you?

would a lumbar pillow against a tree using a hang on stand work for you?

I could sit still for a couple of hours in a hang on, but for a long sit I need to have the ability to recline and relieve pressure on my low back which is not possible in most hang ons. The JX 3 and the ease in which one can make small micro adjustments to the angles make a huge difference in comfort.

I get real uncomfortable in a stand and end up moving more than my saddle set up. I tried the phantom and it was okay. However, the Transformer is another level. I really like the ability to adjust the 2 panel. With that, I am also thinking of a hybrid set up. I’ll try it first before committing but the .5 seems like a great option for size and weight. Hang for a while and sit when a rest is needed.

I have degenerative disks at L4-L5 and L5-S1. I went back to a treestand most of the time with greater comfort. As long as I can sit straight with my butt up against the tree I am good. The saddle started bothering my sciatica and right hip. I really feel it for a couple days if I take the saddle so I have been trying to avoid the saddle all together.

I have a bad back and a 2 panel saddle is my go to saddle. I use an ESS and a Overwatch Transformer and they are both easy on my back. The single panel saddle that I use with a back band are the Cruzr XC and a Areo Hunter Flex. Both are very comfortable with a back band . It's like sitting in my recliner.

I've got some compressed lumbar discs, and was very comfortable in my Drey. I didn't even notice my pouches on my RCH. If you're apprehensive about dropping that kind of money you could try a large (6' square or so) fleece saddle in lieu of a back support.

Back