• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Securing lone wolf hand climber

Captkev

On my first attempt at climbing with LW hand climber I face planted into the tree.Admittedly I put too much weight to close to the tree and as a result the platform pivoted inward.I have owned and used a loggy bayou climber for 20 plus years and am very comfortable with the bear hug method.I haven’t given up on the hand climber though, I just have a few questions for those more experienced with it.Do you secure the traction belt tubing to the platform for ascending and descending?I was thinking it might give me more control of the belt to go over knots and bark irregularities?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to set the belt as you would normally. You can try gauging the tree to set it so it will be flat when you reach height, but adjusting the platform is not that hard because it is small and light.

I kicked off a couple of threads on this topic you should check out as they generated some good comments.

How are you attaching the platform to your feet? I tried a strap but found bungees to work better.

How are you using the harness? Are you raising your tether, then sitting in the harness to raise your feet?

What's been working for me is to sit in the harness and plant my hands on the trunk, holding myself at forearm distance, then pull my feet up. It should feel smooth (not counting knots/bumps on the tree that you have to deal with).

Definitely add a a foot aider to your kit. This thing will make self rescuing easier as well as any adjustment that you need to do to the platform when at height.

You have to set the belt as you would normally. You can try gauging the tree to set it so it will be flat when you reach height, but adjusting the platform is not that hard because it is small and light.

I kicked off a couple of threads on this topic you should check out as they generated some good comments.

How are you attaching the platform to your feet? I tried a strap but found bungees to work better.

How are you using the harness? Are you raising your tether, then sitting in the harness to raise your feet?

What's been working for me is to sit in the harness and plant my hands on the trunk, holding myself at forearm distance, then pull my feet up. It should feel smooth (not counting knots/bumps on the tree that you have to deal with).

Definitely add a a foot aider to your kit. This thing will make self rescuing easier as well as any adjustment that you need to do to the platform when at height.

I have been trying to keep up with threads related to this method because I love the idea of an all in one climbing platform that is small and light.I like the foot aider idea I think I will definitely add that to my gear.
I have been alternating sitting in my saddle to climb and bear hugging the tree.I have been using a bungee over my feet for now ,I think I may tie in a piece of shock cord for a more permanent foot hold.Thanks for all the great advice.I have been learning a ton on this forum

One thing I noticed on second viewing of that video is that it is better to pull the platform up to adjust it. As opposed to going down below the platform.

You're right, there is much to learn!

I’m sorry I can’t see the video and elaborate more on what’s happening in it. But I can go over a little of how I use it . First I had been using climbers for about twelve years as primary run and gun stand. Have had several but had a Summit open shot for a few years and liked how light it was. Never could bring myself to spend the money on a LW.
I fell out of the open shot some years back and am lucky to still be here.
Anyway I met a guy at a WMA I frequent in N Florida that had a TL leather a assassin platform and LW Sticks. When I saw that setup I had to have one. I searched for a while and found New Tribe and bought an Evo. Great saddle. Then came sticks bolts spurs trophy steps Ameristeps two homemade platforms. Then I saw the climbing without sticks video.
I found XOP would sell just the hand climber seat and never looked back.
It was second nature to me because I had so much experience with climbers. It’s the same as using your climber if you step close to the tree your going to eat it. Tie the platform to the tether so it can’t fall. Those are the two most important aspects of it same as a climber. The rest you have to learn. I just use a 1 1/2” strap tied to platform with line from it to tether. Two birds with one stone. It pulls your strap up so you can insert your feet and ties platform to tether. Use strong line it’s your lifeline. To climb set platform level or very slightly outside lip of platform tilted up. If you tilt it up to much platform won’t advance. Jump up on platform and girthhitch tether to tree clip to bridge. Advance bridge as high as you can reach then just snug up your ascender. Then tie platform to tether this will give you the correct distance from platform to ascender. Now stand on tip toes and advance ascender as tight as possible and lift your feet. If platform sticks wiggle from side to side till it starts up. When you reach your as high as possible put weight on outside of platform to set platform. Stand up and advance ascender again till you run out of tether. Advance tether and start over. Bottom of tree always harder it gets easier as you ascend. As you climb higher the platform will start to unlevel and you will have to tighten traction belt. The thing that makes it easier for me is slide the girth hitch a little around to the right on the tree put weight on it and step off platform and hang. Start at ground level this will take a little getting use to. Then grab platform rope and pull platform up to you then tighten belt and set back on tree it might take more than once to adjust it right. When you go to step back on to platform just step on the outside so it bites the tree does not have to be straight you can straighten when back on platform. Once comfortable advance tether and keep climbing. You must adjust belt on way down also. Have started carrying an aider but haven’t used it yet to go around limbs. This could also work to adjust platform or self rescue in the event your platform becomes unusable for some reason.
I have made this post long and boring but it’s not hard to learn.
I have been thinking if you could make the platform to accept a cable instead of traction belt it would climb much easier. Like the Summit platforms cable. I don’t think it would hang up nearly as bad.
I am 63 in Sept and out of shape. This is my go to setup for several reasons. Mostly light and simple. Once you get used to this setup I can climb and setup as fast as any other setup and if you attach your bow to you can hunt while climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
@bongo that video is a very good demonstration. I've been experimenting with this technique as I usually rut-hunt in areas where climbers are useful and the weight-savings here is fantastic.

Thank you for allowing the saddlepalooza guys to capture the demo, and share it with all of us!

I just started last Sept 2017 saddle hunting BUT I came out of the gate with this Lone Wolf seat/hand climber & tree tether as my climbing method exactly as shown...…….they do as well make a longer strap for larger trees as I have both & just run with the longer unit...…….Good Luck!!!!!!:sunglasses:

p.s. I just wish the trees didn't have any bark...hahahahahahaha…….FACT!!!!!!!!:sunglasses:

Attachments

• IMG_1874.JPG
    IMG_1874.JPG
    446.2 KB · Views: 93
I’m sorry I can’t see the video and elaborate more on what’s happening in it. But I can go over a little of how I use it . First I had been using climbers for about twelve years as primary run and gun stand. Have had several but had a Summit open shot for a few years and liked how light it was. Never could bring myself to spend the money on a LW.
Anyway I met a guy at a WMA I frequent in N Florida that had a TL leather a predator platform and LW Sticks. When I saw that setup I had to have one. I searched for a while and found New Tribe and bought an Evo. Great saddle. Then came sticks bolts spurs trophy steps Ameristeps two homemade platforms. Then I saw the climbing without sticks video.
It was second nature to me because I had so much experience with climbers. It’s the same as using your climber if you step close to the tree your going to eat it. Tie the platform to the tether so it can’t fall. Those are the two most important aspects of it same as a climber. The rest you have to learn. I just use a 1 1/2” strap tied to platform with line from it to tether. Two birds with one stone. It pulls your strap up so you can insert your feet and ties platform to tether. Use strong line it’s your lifeline. To climb set platform level or very slightly outside lip of platform tilted up. If you tilt it up to much platform won’t advance. Jump up on platform and girthhitch tether to tree clip to bridge. Advance bridge as high as you can reach then just snug up your ascender. Then tie platform to tether this will give you the correct distance from platform to ascender. Now stand on tip toes and advance ascender as tight as possible and lift your feet. If platform sticks wiggle from side to side till it starts up. When you reach your as high as possible put weight on outside of platform to set platform. Stand up and advance ascender again till you run out of tether. Advance tether and start over. Bottom of tree always harder it gets easier as you ascend. As you climb higher the platform will start to unlevel and you will have to tighten traction belt. The thing that makes it easier for me is slide the girth hitch a little around to the right on the tree put weight on it and step off platform and hang. Start at ground level this will take a little getting use to. Then grab platform rope and pull platform up to you then tighten belt and set back on tree it might take more than once to adjust it right. When you go to step back on to platform just step on the outside so it bites the tree does not have to be straight you can straighten when back on platform. Once comfortable advance tether and keep climbing. You must adjust belt on way down also. Have started carrying an aider but haven’t used it yet to go around limbs. This could also work to adjust platform or self rescue in the event your platform becomes unusable for some reason.
I have been thinking if you could make the platform to accept a cable instead of traction belt it would climb much easier. Like the Summit platforms cable. I don’t think it would hang up nearly as bad.
I am 63 in Sept and out of shape. This is my go to setup for several reasons. Mostly light and simple. Once you get used to this setup I can climb and setup as fast as any other setup and if you attach your bow to you can hunt while climbing.

Thanks Bongo. I dunno if I would swap out to a cable. I don’t have much experience with it but I found that the traction belt made it very easy to make small adjustments without fumbling around much. It has gotten caught on bark sometimes, sure. Maybe in the future that will bug me more.

Bongo, that demonstration, IMHO, was one of the highlights of SaddlePaloosa.
You are a great teacher and I appreciate all your insight. Plus, if a 63 year old can do it, so can I. :D

Bongo, that demonstration, IMHO, was one of the highlights of SaddlePaloosa.
You are a great teacher and I appreciate all your insight. Plus, if a 63 year old can do it, so can I.

Thanks for the kind words Doc. Yes you can.

Thanks for the kind words Doc. Yes you can.

If I ever get away from the spurs. This will no doubt be my new climbing method. I love how it doubles as a great platform after the climb. I've really like it ever since the demonstration at palooza.

If I ever get away from the spurs. This will no doubt be my new climbing method. I love how it doubles as a great platform after the climb. I've really like it ever since the demonstration at palooza.

I’ve got a spare any time your ready.

I love how it doubles as a great platform after the climb. I've really like it ever since the demonstration at palooza.

Sorry Huck I forgot to edit your post I don't climb with Spurs yet, so I can only agree with half of it but I still agree it's an awesome method and I'm strongly considering this being the next addition to my Arsenal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Anyway I met a guy at a WMA I frequent in N Florida that had a TL leather a assassin platform and LW Sticks. When I saw that setup I had to have one. I searched for a while and found New Tribe and bought an Evo. Great saddle. Then came sticks bolts spurs trophy steps Ameristeps two homemade platforms. Then I saw the climbing without sticks video.

Thanks bongo for the great instructional!2nd climb went much better.I still need more practice making the traction belt adjustment mid -climb.
Do you climb down and hang in front of climber to make the adjustment?I tried using the aider to stand on and it ended up cinching down in the traction belt and causing problems so I didn’t use it for the 2nd adjustment

... but I still agree it's an awesome method and I'm strongly considering this being the next addition to my Arsenal.

100% agree denots and Huck. For any of my old "climber stand" trees, this method would be so sweet and easy. Well, at least @bongo made it look easy! :)

Thanks bongo for the great instructional!2nd climb went much better.I still need more practice making the traction belt adjustment mid -climb.
Do you climb down and hang in front of climber to make the adjustment?I tried using the aider to stand on and it ended up cinching down in the traction belt and causing problems so I didn’t use it for the 2nd adjustment

Try hanging off to the side a-la-a Bongo.... pull the climber up, and straddle the tree. Support the climber with your thigh and adjust the belt. Lower the climber back down to your feet.

I haven't tried it exactly this way yet, but I did try the laying it on my thigh part and that worked swell!

Back