• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Serrated broadheads?

bigmike23

Bishop has a new head called the jumbo. He sells them 12 for 600$ which is of course expensive but at 50$ a head way way less than his prior stuff. They are serrated. What you do you feel about serrated blades? When I look at them all I see is hide, bone, and meat jamming into those gaps slowing down and reducing penetration. Maybe someone who knows BHs feels otherwise? 1000020594.jpg

Magnus has some serrated heads too. I haven't tried them but I'm sure someone around here has

Yes, I used the Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts in 100 grain. I used them exclusively for several years on lighter weight arrows. This was the transitional phase between using light weight arrows and mechanical heads to heavier arrows and single bevel broadheads.

I liked the Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts and killed quite a few deer with them. I did have some heads break or bend during the process but it broke the deer also so I can't complain. I've never used a three blade head, only the Buzzcut with serrations. I liked the "bleeders" since they cut that X pattern in the hide.

Attachments

• magnus buck 2018.jpg
    magnus buck 2018.jpg
    565.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Magnus exit.jpg
    Magnus exit.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Magnus Stinger Buzzcut 4 blade 100 grain .jpg
    Magnus Stinger Buzzcut 4 blade 100 grain .jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 25
I’ve used Magnus Ser Razors and Buzzcuts and both worked just fine without issue. The advantage to serrations is they work well on rough material like hide and will still work when dull. A disadvantage is they have to saw back and forth to cut once dull and they are a pita to sharpen the scalloped edges that’s why I went away from them. But a less expensive way to fool with some would be to get some Magnus. Quality builds, good steel and outstanding warranty.

First, I wouldn't spend that even if I won Powerball.

I have heard self-defense guys say that serrated knives get caught in clothing and do not cut smoothly and they won't use them. If applied to broadheads, then I can see how a plain blade is better. I have a few serrated knives, and I think they just look meaner is all and are a lot harder to resharpen. If you follow Spyderco's recommendations on sharpening, then you slowly round the teeth over. The only advantage I've found to a serrated knife is that you can cut tough stuff like cardboard and carpet longer without needing to resharpen as often. Also, they tend to rip through those materials, but it is not a dynamic slashing movement. And also, you don't get anything for free because you have to pull a lot harder to get that action with them. So, if the same is true for broadheads, then it might limit penetration.

For these reasons, I've never used a serrated head or considered it.

Last edited:
I’ve used the serrated magnus to great effect, but they have sharpened serrations as opposed to those square channels on the bishops. I’d love to see them both fired into a ballistic dummy. Intuitively the square edges would cause more bleeding but would cut through bone as well. But that’s only speculation, I’d like to see them go head to head in a comparison.

I can't imagine it kills better than a 20 dollar head. Saying that I have used magnus stingers and black hornets with serration with good results but they get tore up more than a straight edge, but with a no question warranty its a non issue imo. I see broadheads as an expendable expense. I hardly ever recover my arrow if I shoot from the ground.

Those look like I made the serrations in my basement. Are they $400 a head too?

How in the world do companies get away with making such ridiculous claims??? I'm tired of this bafoonery. Where is the data that supports their statement? You're telling me that 51% of the hunters in Northern America choose these $600 broadheads?Screenshot_20240328-225012_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back