• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Seven-Pin Sight Replacement

Iron_llama

So, I've been shooting the same compound bow (Bowtech Extreme VFT) since I bought it used in 2007. Other than replacing strings and cables, and re-zeroing as appropriate, I've left it as-is. It came with a 7-pin sight that I shoot well enough, and Beman ICS arrows tipped with 110gr Montecs. I bought it from a co-worker that guided for AZ elk in his spare time. I figured he knew what he was doing when he set it up, and never bothered to change anything. Since I don't shoot past about 45 yards, I have 3 pins at the top of the window, and the other 4 stacked up in the bottom, unused.

I enjoy bowhunting, but I'm a gun nut. For whatever reason, I just don't find myself geeking out over archery the same way I do over firearms. I can appreciate the differences between a Ruger American Rifle and custom Cooper rifle, but my eyes kinda glaze over when the discussion turns to archery. Now that I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better served with something different than my 7-pin sight, I'm confronted by the depths of my ignorance. I see TruGlo sights for $30 and HHAs for $360, and I can't point to what makes one better than the other, let alone worth 10x more than the other.

I read these threads about a simplified compound setup, and they make sense to me.
https://saddlehunter.com/community/...-to-killing-a-deer-with-a-compound-bow.28548/ and https://saddlehunter.com/community/...ly-with-only-one-fixed-pin-in-my-sight.16152/

So, I'm thinking that I'd like a single-pin sight I can zero at 25ish yards, but on a slider or pivot I can adjust to practice at longer ranges. I'd like it to be easier to zero than my current 7-pin. Those of you that run slider-single-pin sights, what features do you look for? What features do you avoid? What is a realistic price to pay for one of these?

Thanks in advance.

So, I've been shooting the same compound bow (Bowtech Extreme VFT) since I bought it used in 2007. Other than replacing strings and cables, and re-zeroing as appropriate, I've left it as-is. It came with a 7-pin sight that I shoot well enough, and Beman ICS arrows tipped with 110gr Montecs. I bought it from a co-worker that guided for AZ elk in his spare time. I figured he knew what he was doing when he set it up, and never bothered to change anything. Since I don't shoot past about 45 yards, I have 3 pins at the top of the window, and the other 4 stacked up in the bottom, unused.

I enjoy bowhunting, but I'm a gun nut. For whatever reason, I just don't find myself geeking out over archery the same way I do over firearms. I can appreciate the differences between a Ruger American Rifle and custom Cooper rifle, but my eyes kinda glaze over when the discussion turns to archery. Now that I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better served with something different than my 7-pin sight, I'm confronted by the depths of my ignorance. I see TruGlo sights for $30 and HHAs for $360, and I can't point to what makes one better than the other, let alone worth 10x more than the other.

I read these threads about a simplified compound setup, and they make sense to me.
https://saddlehunter.com/community/...-to-killing-a-deer-with-a-compound-bow.28548/ and https://saddlehunter.com/community/...ly-with-only-one-fixed-pin-in-my-sight.16152/

So, I'm thinking that I'd like a single-pin sight I can zero at 25ish yards, but on a slider or pivot I can adjust to practice at longer ranges. I'd like it to be easier to zero than my current 7-pin. Those of you that run slider-single-pin sights, what features do you look for? What features do you avoid? What is a realistic price to pay for one of these?

Thanks in advance.
I switched to a single pin from a 5 pin. Have yet to regret it with my bow

I set it at 25 and know 10-30 yards I don’t have to adjust my aim point

i practice out to 60 all the time and it’s so easy just to slide it to where you need it

it’s my first single pin but I went with the Troph Ridge React Pro. Got it on sale for around $225. I THINK I could have gone with a less expensive single pin and still would have been happy

There is some good sliders to be had on the classifieds that pop up. All seem to adjust a little bit different. Me personally I think they are all good. If your not a huge gear nut for archery stuff, find a good used one on here and roll with it. An adjustable is one more thing to make sure it's right. I went to one last year. I could take it or leave it. I may put my fixed back on. See how the summer goes. To have a adjustable sight and not really adjust it seems weird to me. I'm no expert archer by any means, or shoot tight groups at 70yards. I'm a 35 and in kinda guy. But If you wanna save some money, try a used one. See if you like it. What you like about it, and what you don't.

I put an HHA optimizer single pin on my Mathews Helim in 2012 when I bought it used and I rarely touch sight except to re-zero if I change arrow set ups. I zero it to about 22 yards. knowing I will need to hold a touch low very close and a touch high at 25 to 27 yards. I then practice a lot at unknown distances and weird angles until I can place the arrow where I want it.

I'd do like MattMan81 suggests and keep an eye on the classifieds. If not, I believe HHA sells a very basic single pin slider that is not too pricey, or they used too.

I run an HHA Optimizer on my bowtech. I like hha as they have lifetime warranty and last I knew were American made and they do a lot of work with veterans. Sliders can get really expensive really fast, I think because the pricey ones tend to be mostly metal construction and strict tolerances. I like the optimizer as you can order different pin size, different scope size, and get a rheostat if you want. I usually keep mine set at 25 and just hold under or over as necessary. I really like the uncluttered sight picture of a single pin. However, I practice out to much further distance (60 yards) to keep the skills sharp and the slider makes that easy. Some folks have the argument what if the deer makes a sudden change in direction or whatnot and you have to side your pin? For me that hasn’t been an issue as I range out known yardages anyway and just hold under or over, or I usually have enough time to slide the pin if I felt it necessary. I guess maybe big woods or western hunters might need to make a last minute adjustment but I hunt snarl that’s right in your face so it’s a moot point.

Back